Mt. Whitney Nov 1st

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
trekwater
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mt. Whitney Nov 1st

Post by trekwater »

I plan on doing Whitney in Nov. myself. If you wouldn't mind a hiking buddy maybe we can team up. Im going to be in Selma CA. for 13 weeks starting in Oct.1. I've climbed 3 14ers here in Colorado during the winter and have climbed 29 14ers total and am looking for an epic adventure :))
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

Conditions on Whitney in November are extremely variable. It could be an "easy" 2-day trip or be a brutal 4-day expedition; in the summer it is a fun 11h RT day hike for people in proper condition. Be careful if you do drive past the winter closure; cars get trapped up there and are stuck until May when the snow melts. Be extremely careful of ice on the west side of trailcrest since there are shaded areas with sufficiently bad exposure that parties turn around. That is more typically an issue in the spring and early summer, but just be cognizant of this potential problem. With the wrong freeze/thaw cycles it can turn deadly.
mike offerman
14ers: 58 
13ers: 189
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mike offerman »

trekwater wrote:I plan on doing Whitney in Nov. myself. If you wouldn't mind a hiking buddy maybe we can team up. Im going to be in Selma CA. for 13 weeks starting in Oct.1. I've climbed 3 14ers here in Colorado during the winter and have climbed 29 14ers total and am looking for an epic adventure :))
Hate to break the news to you, but he climbed it 4 years ago!
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

So funny... I forgot to look at the date of the original post.