Wichita Mountains-Oklahoma

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Wichita Mountains-Oklahoma

Post by MtHurd »

Shawnee Bob wrote:It is. There are so many cool aspects to that mountain. Learned a few things on it.

There are some interesting looking minor peaks near Sunset Peak, too. I'm hoping, however, to go get Twin Rock soon. It looks like it might be a fun day.
Twin Rocks and Granite Mountain are very nice peaks. Twin Rocks has a 360 degree view. I've done all of the Sunset points, the northernmost point was the most difficult. Not because of the climbing but because of the abundance of scrub oak.
apasquel
14ers: 43 
Trip Reports (31)

Post by apasquel »

I'm so gald to see that there are some Wichita Mountain Enthusiasts just like me...What I find amazing aboutt his area is if you ask 10 people in the DFW area about this amzing place just 3 hours away...9/10 sometimes 10/10 have absolutely no idea this place exists. For Texans, I feel like it's still this secret place...
guitarczar
14ers: 8 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by guitarczar »

i'm a goofball Kansan and i've been there, and think it's an awesome place ! look forward to getting back to the Wichita Mtns. soon
"the rocky mountain way is better than the way we had"
MtHurd
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

guitarczar
14ers: 8 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by guitarczar »

great photos Barry - when were they taken ? i'm thinking about taking a trip down there with my sons in late March or early April
"the rocky mountain way is better than the way we had"
MtHurd
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

May 22, 2010 for the last batch. Late March early April will be a nice time to visit, but the flowers won't be out yet. Good bet though that the streams will be running and things will be greening up.

Best place to start is at the southern entrance to Charon's Garden Wilderness. You'll also want to visit The Narrows. Driving up Mt. Scott is also a must do.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

i liked the colorful lizards - patches of red, yellow, and blue...i'm sure there's a lot of snakes there too, but i saw a lot more tarantulas. Every time i went it was a huge downpour - 6 inches of rain overnight in a t-storm.
apasquel
Trip Reports (31)

Post by apasquel »

Barry, those pics are awesome...where is that second photo taken?

Also...there was the biggest wildfire the Wichitas have ever seen Labor Day weekend 2011 in the refuge. Half of the refuge got burned...I went out there a month later and the place was scorched. However, this spring and the next year the place is going to look like Eden because of he regeneration...I'm excited to see this place again.
Shawnee Bob
14ers: 22 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Shawnee Bob »

Barry, those are some spectacular photos of the Boulder Field hike. Real nice. I did that exact same route maybe a month before you took those pics. Were any of the falls still flowing when you went?

Toughest hiking I had in Charon's Garden was through Styx Canyon. No trail, all bushwhacking. A tangle of thorns and scrub. And that was in the fall when the vegetation was thinning out!
Because life's too short to be an indoor cat.

http://proactiveoutside.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MtHurd
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

apasquel wrote:Barry, those pics are awesome...where is that second photo taken?
That is Post Oak Falls. Just a bit off the trail but not far. Here is a pic from further back. That day the water wasn't running much, but sometimes it's a pretty good waterfall.

Here is a pic of the falls with more water in June of 2003.

And a colorfull lizard.

apasquel
Trip Reports (31)

Post by apasquel »

I think i just may go back up there next weekend...
Alan Ellis
14ers: 41  6 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Alan Ellis »

Yesterday was a perfect day in the Wichitas with light winds, sunny skies, and about 70. I took a new climber to Mt. Scott and did most of the classics. If any of you locals can climb during the week, let me know.
Sack up and climb.