Kings Peak UT in a day

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JsinDeAZ
14ers: 37  1 
Trip Reports (4)

Kings Peak UT in a day

Post by JsinDeAZ »

From Horns Fork, who has done Kings Peak, UT in a day? I'm thinkin' Labor Day weekend. I've read it's 28mi roundtrip. Would a 2am start, 3pm finish be realistic? I have to be somewhere early the next day... I'm in shape and have done the Canyon rim2rim2rim (45miles) in 15.5 hrs. Just not sure about elevation coming from 1K ft the day before. Is the trail pretty easy to follow in the dark if I started earlier?

-J
-----------------------------
I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in. - John Muir

...I love not man the less, but Nature more... - Lord Byron
Floyd
14ers: 58 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Re: Kings Peak UT in a day

Post by Floyd »

I've only been in the basin in a couple of feet of snow, but if you are a fast trail hiker/runner, you shouldn't have any problem. You won't gain any significant elevation until you are right at the peak. If it is 28 miles RT from the TH, I would guess 25or 26 of it is easy pretty flat trail. You should be able to fly around that basin if it's dry.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

Your timing sounds reasonable given your R2R2R time, assuming you
don't have altitude issues. The route is straightforward on a good
trail until the last little bit to the summit.
wineguy
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 143
Trip Reports (7)

Post by wineguy »

JsinDeAZ wrote:Is the trail pretty easy to follow in the dark if I started earlier?

-J
I went up Kings Peak last year, and think it would be a good day hike for a fast hiker in good shape. The trail is a serious highway and should be easy to follow in the dark. Expect lots of people, last August I saw more hikers going up Kings than on any CO 14er other than Longs and maybe Gray/Torreys. Another decision to make is whether to take the "shortcut" from Elkhorn pass. I'd recommend the shortcut, assuming you have daylight when you get there, saves dropping about 500 vertical feet into the basin. If you watch the cairns its an easy Class 2 scramble up a couple of cliff bands, just make sure to pay attention so you can retrace your steps on the way back. Also, if you don't hike faster than mosquitos can fly bring some repellant. Good luck and have a blast.
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters." - Norman Maclean
skiwall
14ers: 2 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by skiwall »

I'm planning on trail running it as a day "hike" before a marathon in early September, so if you think of it, PM me before you head out, and I'll let you know if it works. :)
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08
xpda
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (3)

Post by xpda »

There is currently a bridge out about 5.3 miles in (Elk Horn Crossing), and it may or may not be repaired this summer. I'm not sure about wading the crossing, but if you can't get across may add a little distance.
TerryLiv
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TerryLiv »

xpda wrote:There is currently a bridge out about 5.3 miles in (Elk Horn Crossing), and it may or may not be repaired this summer. I'm not sure about wading the crossing, but if you can't get across may add a little distance.
I am planning on doing this Aug 12-14. Any thoughts on what happens if the bridge is not repaired. Does one bushwack up the right side of the river until you find a crossing? Or what?

Thanks,

Terry
thebeave7
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

As pbakwin said, route is straight forward until you get almost to the peak itself, we got a sunrise start. I think you'll do just fine on that run.
From the upper basin you have two options, climb to the pass and traverse over or hit the direct scree gulley and climb to the peak (leave the trail before you reach the pass). We went up the trail to the pass, then down via the scree, that would be my suggestion. Don't remember the bridge being talked about earlier, but we had no issues last Sept, despite an early season storm dropping a few inches of snow. See the photo album below..
http://www.ericjlee.com/Photo/thumbnails.php?album=254" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
TerryLiv
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TerryLiv »

Eric,

Thanks for your reply. Also, I am glad to read that you are only 4X as fast as me.

Sincerely yours,

Terry
xpda
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (3)

Post by xpda »

TerryLiv wrote:
xpda wrote:There is currently a bridge out about 5.3 miles in (Elk Horn Crossing), and it may or may not be repaired this summer. I'm not sure about wading the crossing, but if you can't get across may add a little distance.
There is now a new bridge, three logs lashed together, that works well. If that should be out, you can take the "basin trail" to avoid the creek. It adds some distance, but I'm not sure how much. Enough snow has melted to make the summit in tennis shoes.
Last edited by xpda on Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TerryLiv
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TerryLiv »

Great,

Thanks for the info about the bridge.

Terry
jth221
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jth221 »

We just did this over last weekend (Fri-Sun) and the weather was clear and perfect conds the entire trip. Temps were only like low 60's but it felt perfect. Mosquitos were a pest though! Take bug spray. They are terrible from the trailhead up to (and worse at) Dollar Lake, back behind the pass and not getting a break until close to 13,000. The only other notes i can state: there are several snow fields as you get closer to the summit, and the hike up to dollar lake after you cross the bridge (which is now up and replaced about 400 yards up the trail after you leave the woods as of 7/22) has some muddy swampy areas to go through. But overall its a very easy summit if you're used to climbing 14ers. Its just the hike is very long. It was state highpoint #38 for us. Have fun!