Summer in Jackson WY - Cheap places to stay?

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
maverick_manley
14ers: 58  10  40 
13ers: 63
Trip Reports (66)

Summer in Jackson WY - Cheap places to stay?

Post by maverick_manley »

This is not climbing related. My family is visiting in Summer (June 24-July 4) and I plan to take them to the Yellowstone / Teton area. There are 9 of us. It's hard to find vacation rentals for a group that size on vrbo.com that don't break the bank since I don't want any of them to chip in towards the rental. Some of them are older and prefer not to camp so that idea is out. I'm looking for a peaceful mountain cabin type deal... away from town. Any suggestions on where to look (or alternative accomodation ideas) would be great. Are any of you looking to rent anything out in that area that time of year?

Also, any thoughts on places to visit / things to do within a 300 mile radius of Jackson apart from the two parks mentioned above? All of them love nature, wildlife, hiking, etc. but just aren't into anything extreme. Thanks a ton for any responses / leads.

Prakash
My Brain Stops at Treeline but my Soles will Summit
rlw49
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Summer in Jackson WY - Cheap places to stay?

Post by rlw49 »

Do a search for Cowboy Village, in Jackson Hole. Housekeeping cabins with kitchenettes for any number of people.
Koy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 98 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Koy »

There is a KOA campground south of Jackson where the young people in your group could camp, and the older ones can stay in the cabins. Good luck.

http://koa.com/campgrounds/jackson-hole/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

Prakash -

Check out the Gros Ventre campgrounds if you want to spend a night or two in a nice designated car camping area. They are pretty cheap and not too far outside town (right around where you turn off for the southern Nat'l Park entrance. Ask Teton Mountaineering about some free camping spots a little further down the road, with a perfect vantage point for the Tetons, this is if you guys want to semi-"rough it" a night or two. With that being said, we were stalked by a Grizz the night we were there and then read about an attack in that exact spot a week later.

This hotel at the beginning of town looks interesting - Teton Gables Motel (tetongables.com). We were about to stay there for a trip up there a couple weekends ago, but the trip fell through. Cheap rates, convenient location, etc.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Lodges are fairly reasonable in Yellowstone.
Under $100 a night, but without toilets. You could cram in 3 or 4 to a room.
These go immediately when reservations open.

Next best are the "edge towns" of West Yellowstone and Gardiner.
They have chain motels a little over $100 and within 30 minutes of sights.

The trouble with staying in Jackson area is the drive to first Yellowstone sights is about two hours north.
You wouldnt want to be driving that every day.

Yellowstone is a rather shocking place to those used to living on the grid. :shock:
Almost none of its lodging has TVs or internet (as of 5/2010). You can get cell in parts of Yellowstone.
You have to look at Nature or talk to your companions for entertainment!
wncpisgah
14ers: 10 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wncpisgah »

While not quite in Jackson, you can get VRBO cabin rentals for much cheaper in Victor on the other side of Teton Pass.
maverick_manley
14ers: 58  10  40 
13ers: 63
Trip Reports (66)

Post by maverick_manley »

Awesome leads, thanks. Based on peter's comment I'm seeing the value in moving basecamp up closer to the West Yellowstone area. I do like the semi-rough-it-out idea and partitioning the groups if we don't end up being too far apart.

Is there anything in Idaho or Montana worth driving to? Craters of the Moon NP in Idaho maybe? I've been to Big Sky and the skiing was phenomenal but I'm not sure if it's as spectacular in summer.

Brian, Menver? Knowing you, that is not a typo...? I am highly curious.
My Brain Stops at Treeline but my Soles will Summit