Good beta sites for Wasatch?

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JakeK
14ers: 48  9 
Trip Reports (11)

Re: Good beta sites for Wasatch?

Post by JakeK »

lordhelmut - I haven't skied Superior yet, but its on the very, very short section of the "to-do" list. If you're out here and want to ski some backcountry, let me know.
Gahugafuga
14ers: 53 
13ers: 98
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Gahugafuga »

S Superior has 3 main lines: the main face (from the summit), Little Superior (aka Black Knob, just E of main summit) and Suicide Chute. It's all pretty wide open so you go for what looks good and safe. Superior is completely barren because it slides with frightening regularity in a big way. Being south facing, it also has a window of opportunity measured in hours after it stabilizes. It's not really the kind of line you can just expect to be good to go when you happen to be around. And timing it is so fickle and risky that it only collects a few tracks per storm. Suicide Chute is a better option because it is sheltered, shadier and more easterly but you are still exposed to the S Superior runout on the apron. For what it's worth, I feel like there are more worthwhile BC options when you are in the area, although the siren song of Superior can't be denied.
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

Jake - I'll be sure to, thanks for the reply.

Gahuga -thanks for the info. Good to know on the slide potential. Actually, last time I was there, I noticed a few from across the way that got your attention. Unfortunately (and fortunately), I tend to pick my trips to LCC based on forecasts that involve 100% chance of 16-20" or above, so odds of finding a safe window are slim to none. But I'd be curious to do some more backcountry trips around there and am always open to interesting terrain. Have a good one.

(sorry to hijack this thread by the way)

edit - actually, its not really hijacking it since we're on the subject of Wasatch beta, but sorry nonetheless.