2017 Goals

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Re: 2017 Goals

Post by d_baker »

justiner wrote:I should have written, "DON'T get hit by a car!", but if I did, it would have taken less than 2 weeks to break that "goal".

Although this seriously impacts my, "Ride LOTS of bikes!" goal.

RIP Bike. (I'm fine-ish)
Bike is done, but how about you? Hope you're ok!
patternmike
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by patternmike »

Just 1 goal-climb the roof at the rock gym!
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

d_baker wrote:Bike is done, but how about you? Hope you're ok!
I am good! And bikes are replaceable. Other than being one of the scariest things that has ever happened to me, I am very lucky to come out of it with merely bruises and a sprained hand. It was not a hit and run, and we'll see re: the accident report/insurance. Very, very, very lucky. Very.
RhodoRose
14ers: 58 
13ers: 11 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RhodoRose »

2017 Goals...few, not simple, but imminently doable:

1) 14ers - summit 35 :-D with:
Missouri
Oxford
Redcloud
Sunshine
Wetterhorn
Humboldt
Kit Carson
Challenger Pt
Crestone
Crestone Needle

2) Philippians 3:13-14 [-o<
3) Hunt down Patrick Rothfuss and beat him until he finishes Kingkiller Chronicles #3. OK, maybe not. ](*,)
4) Help 10 people ramp up e-commerce side biz to $1500/month. \:D/

Everybody have a great 2017!
But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3: 13-14
CorduroyCalves
14ers: 16 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CorduroyCalves »

I typically fall well short of any goals I place in any given year, so I'll just say I hope to spend a large chunk of time in the outdoors with my family, and bag a few peaks along the way.
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir
gspup
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gspup »

Ski MLW, Guyot, and something in IPW (any recommendations ?)

Also climb the Second Flatiron every month this winter, still waiting to get it January...
mikefromcraig
14ers: 53  24 
13ers: 57
Trip Reports (15)

Post by mikefromcraig »

Attain 1,000,000 vertical feet (including treadmills and stairmills at the gym).

Get over 20,000' at the red bull rise Aspen.
"I don't believe anyone who says they would prefer to die on a mountain in their 30s than in a hospital in their 90s."
Tornadoman
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

gspup wrote:Ski MLW, Guyot, and something in IPW (any recommendations ?)
Does MLW actually ever have enough snow to ski? Seems like it would take a lot of snow to cover those big rocks, but maybe there is a side of the mountain that I am not thinking of that is more skiable...
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
gspup
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gspup »

Tornadoman wrote: Does MLW actually ever have enough snow to ski? Seems like it would take a lot of snow to cover those big rocks, but maybe there is a side of the mountain that I am not thinking of that is more skiable...

Maybe I should have said ski on MLW haha.

It's doable in the right conditions...last spring when I attempted it after that huge dump it was caked. Also, I don't mind if it's not from the summit or if I have to rock hop a little bit, I really follow no rules and have no shame when skiing peaks. 8)
Tornadoman
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

gspup wrote:
Tornadoman wrote: Does MLW actually ever have enough snow to ski? Seems like it would take a lot of snow to cover those big rocks, but maybe there is a side of the mountain that I am not thinking of that is more skiable...

Maybe I should have said ski on MLW haha.

It's doable in the right conditions...last spring when I attempted it after that huge dump it was caked. Also, I don't mind if it's not from the summit or if I have to rock hop a little bit, I really follow no rules and have no shame when skiing peaks. 8)
I say anyone who does backcountry skiing can make their own rules (or not follow any rules). Of course this is coming from the guy who could maybe handle the bunny trails at the resorts. :-D I hope you get a big storm and are able to get it done. If you do, I would be curious to see some pictures!
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Tornadoman wrote:<snip>
I say anyone who does backcountry skiing can make their own rules (or not follow any rules).
You can absolutely do this. As long as you're not claiming something. Once you claim something (like "I skied all the 14'ers in record time") you are going to have to adhere to some standards.
montanahiker
14ers: 38 
13ers: 185
Trip Reports (0)

Post by montanahiker »

5 14ers
5 Centennial 13ers
1 Montana peak (never enough time when I go back)
Continue to explore the Gore
Join CMC and take a course
Find hiking partner(s) willing to wake up before sunrise :roll:
There's more to life than 14ers. There are 13ers.