Favorite Route cl2-5

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
gonefishing05
14ers: 8  2 
13ers: 4 1
Trip Reports (0)

Favorite Route cl2-5

Post by gonefishing05 »

I only make it to CO 1-2 times a year, so I always like to build up a tick list of climbs to work into future trips. I am curious if people would share their favorite route of each class category (2-5) to give me some climbs to look into and get excited about. Ive found I enjoy easier 5th class climbs (5.6 and under) when it comes to the alpine, as weather still keeps me on my toes.

I dont have as much to pick from as many of you, so Im going to reach to some climbs outside of CO, but here is my list:

Class 2- South Arapaho, CO
Class 3- Pinnacle Peak, WA
Class 4- Solo Flight, Lone Eagle Peak, CO
Class 5- West Ridge, Pigeon Spire, Bugaboos
chicagostylehotdog
14ers: 57  1  1 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Favorite Route cl2-5

Post by chicagostylehotdog »

I haven't done nearly enough hiking outside of the 14ers, but here are my favorites. Kit Carson Peak North Ridge takes the cake as the best hike I've done and I can't recommend it enough if you enjoy scrambles.

Class 1 - Rainbow Hot Springs
Class 2 - Uncompahgre Peak from Matterhorn Creek TH
Class 3 - Mt. Sneffels via SW Ridge
Class 4 - Kit Carson Peak N. Ridge
Class 5 - Maroon Bells Traverse
climbnowworklater
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (7)

Post by climbnowworklater »

Here are my thoughts:
Cl-2 Wouldn't have a clue. What's class 2 again? haha.
Cl-3 Tour De Abyss. Fun, solid, fast. Much more class 3 than Wetterhorn/KC and better quality rock without a huge drive.
Cl-4 Needle Traverse. Some say a few moves are class 5, but I didn't see any. (Probably the most fun I've ever had on a 14er.)
Cl-5 Longs Peak Cables route. Super fun, 2 pitches, worth the gear haul.
(imho, the Maroon Bells Traverse went at 5.stupid. This is when skill turns into luck.)
"The best climber in the world, is the one having the most fun!" Alex Lowe

"In the mountains there is a strange market where you can barter the vortex of life for boundless bliss." Milarepa
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

Class 3/4 -- Little Bear to Blanca traverse
Class 4/5 -- Wham Ridge on Vestal
Class 5 -- In CO? Probably some mix of Flatirons. Outside CO? The NW Ridge of Sir Donald may the best climb of its grade anywhere.
Eli Boardman
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Eli Boardman »

I haven't done enough 14ers to fully judge the best routes on them, so I'll offer my favorite routes from lower peaks.

Class 2- Bison Peak (more like class 1, but the giant monoliths are still pretty cool)
Class 3- Apache to Navajo traverse in the Indian Peaks (Roach says class 4, but I think it was more in line with other class 3 routes)
Class 4- east face of Royal Arch in the Flatirons (because everyone wants to climb an arch, right?)
Class 5- First Flatiron (I climbed up and down the 5.2 southwest face solo but with more experience or a rope you could do the classic 5.6 east face)
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

All are subject to change, but...
2: Halo Ridge by moonlight (Holy Cross)
3: Aeolus standard with fog as night was falling and no headlamp
4: Gaining the ridge to Little Bear from the NW face for a sunny window amid rumbles
5: Blanca's Gash Ridge, ropeless exposure with some rumblings and graupel
Outside CO, Granite Peak in MT from Avalanche / Snowball Lakes
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Class 2 - Capitol
Class 3 - Yocum Ridge
Class 4 - NIAD
Class 5 - Infinite Spur

Seems pretty legit.
Make wilderness less accessible.
gonefishing05
14ers: 8  2 
13ers: 4 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gonefishing05 »

Dave B wrote:Class 2 - Capitol
Class 3 - Yocum Ridge
Class 4 - NIAD
Class 5 - Infinite Spur

Seems pretty legit.

i must be missing the punchline of this joke. i mean, i get that the routes you mentioned are more difficult than the category you placed them, but whats funny about that?
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

gonefishing05 wrote:Class 4- Solo Flight, Lone Eagle Peak, CO
You should tag on the North Face of Lone Eagle Peak. It wasn't the most fun climbing except the crux pitch, but it does make for a nice day out in the mountains.

I haven't done Ellingwood Arete (Crestone Needle) yet, but I imagine that's pretty fun too.
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Class 2- Mount Timpanogos Utah (only borderline class 2)
Class 3- Chhukung, Nepal
Class 4- Solo Flight, Lone Eagle Peak, CO (I'll go with this one as well)
Class 5- Ancient Art (it can be crowded, and is no secret, but it's really fun and is one of the most unique summits anywhere).
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Marmot96
14ers: 57  6  9 
13ers: 22 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Marmot96 »

Class 1 - Elbert
Class 2 - Missouri Peak
Class 3 - Sawtooth
Class 4 - Pyramid (or Capitol)
Class 5 - Bells Traverse
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

gonefishing05 wrote: but whats funny about that?
Nothing apparently.

I thought it was pretty funny last night after half of a fifth of wild turkey and a couple of IPAs. Try that and see if it's funny. If not, there may be something wrong with you.
Make wilderness less accessible.