What is it that we fear......

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rpdawes
14ers: 18  1 
13ers: 41 2
Trip Reports (7)

Re: What is it that we fear......

Post by rpdawes »

Did you recover your keys?
reinselc
14ers: 36 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by reinselc »

Yes I did. Very fortunate. Especially because my wife and I had left my kids at a hotel in Breckinridge with my mother.
rpdawes
14ers: 18  1 
13ers: 41 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rpdawes »

The same thing happened to me while hiking up to San Luis Peak last June. I had to abort my hike after I found out that I misplaced my keys somewhere along the trail. I carefully scanned the trail for my keys while doing downhill. Finally I found the keys right next to my car. What a sigh of relief! I was in a very isolated country.
DArcyS
14ers: 58 
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

Eli Boardman wrote:The #1 thing I fear while on a 14er is the drive home. Seriously, I think it's the most dangerous part of the whole activity...
If you do this long enough, you'll probably end up knowing more people who perish in the mountains than die on the car ride home. There are far more threads here on 14ers.com about people having accidents on mountains than on their drive home. This has become something of an urban legend that never seems to fade away.
ClimbandMine
14ers: 57 
13ers: 47 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ClimbandMine »

DArcyS wrote:
Eli Boardman wrote:The #1 thing I fear while on a 14er is the drive home. Seriously, I think it's the most dangerous part of the whole activity...
If you do this long enough, you'll probably end up knowing more people who perish in the mountains than die on the car ride home. There are far more threads here on 14ers.com about people having accidents on mountains than on their drive home. This has become something of an urban legend that never seems to fade away.
So 450 people have died this year on mountains? Nope.

450 people this year have died this year in car accidents in Colorado.
I don't care that you Tele.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Apples and oranges. There's about one traffic death per 100 million vehicle miles, and one climber death per 100,000 days. Climbing (especially on the harder peaks) is way more dangerous.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
DArcyS
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

ClimbandMine wrote:
DArcyS wrote:
So 450 people have died this year on mountains? Nope.

450 people this year have died this year in car accidents in Colorado.
Lol . . . nice troll.

Unless you truly don't understand that more people would die on mountains if they climbed as much as they drove. (Edit: as Jim stated.)
Eli Boardman
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Eli Boardman »

Jim Davies wrote:Apples and oranges. There's about one traffic death per 100 million vehicle miles, and one climber death per 100,000 days. Climbing (especially on the harder peaks) is way more dangerous.
I wasn't talking about statistics; statistics can be used to prove just about anything. However, the OP mentioned a route well within our abilities on a good weather day, and I would hazard a guess that quite a few climbing/hiking accidents happen when people get caught in bad weather or end up in harder terrain than they are comfortable with.

But personally, driving I70 in heavy weekend traffic, especially in a snowstorm or at night, scares me way more than soloing 5.2 routes on the Flatirons. As a new driver, I think that for me, it probably is the most dangerous part. YMMV.
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

I suspect on most hikes the drive is more dangerous than the hike. Most hikes have near zero danger (or mathematically negative danger, since every hour spent exercising extends your life expectancy by some amount). Even with the drive, the danger remains incredibly low obviously - driving isn't inherently dangerous.

It's the minority of climbs that present the vast majority of the danger.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
KentonB
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (3)

Post by KentonB »

reinselc wrote:My car not starting up when I get back to it, cold, tired and hungry after a long day.
That actually happened to me... Broken fuel pump. Got back and wouldn't start at all... completely dead. Ended up getting it towed to Frisco and since all the mechanics were closed, I had to rent a vehicle to get home, plus take a day off work to pick it up the next week. As a result, Quandary was the most expensive 14er I ever climbed! :-D
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

Climbers’ perspectives on fear typically fall somewhere between two extremes – (1) fear as a dreaded enemy versus (2) fear as an invaluable companion.

On the one hand, here are three quotes that embody the view of fear as a foe to be avoided:

“No passion so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.”
— Edmund Burke

“Fear is the mind-killer.”
—Frank Herbert

“I’m afraid to be afraid.”
— Catherine Destivelle

On the other hand, here are six quotes (all from climbers) that reflect the view of fear as a friend to be embraced:

“Beware if you do not experience fear in the mountains. Not to do so would mean that one was devoid of feeling and no longer able to experience the supreme joy of knowing that one has mastered fear.”
— Walter Bonatti

“The moment of terror is the beginning of life.”
— Mark Twight

“Fear makes us human. Without it, we are just robots. Our doubts, fears, and nerves make us fight and try harder in every aspect of life, and give meaning to those efforts.”
— Josune Bereziartu

“If I don’t fear what could happen, I could get too relaxed. Fear keeps me safe.”
— Kevin Jorgeson

“Fear and dread are my life insurance.”
— Erhard Loretan

“Fear is just a reminder to get it right the first time.”
— Scott Arne

Perhaps both perspectives capture a piece of the truth. Whereas too much fear can paralyze us and create debilitating tunnel-vision, a moderate (optimal) level of fear can keep us focused and on our toes.
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

14erFred wrote:Perhaps both perspectives capture a piece of the truth. Whereas too much fear can paralyze us and create debilitating tunnel-vision, a moderate (optimal) level of fear can keep us focused and on our toes.
Fear as a body's response to the unknown -- the situation's unknowns, our ability's unknowns -- can go two ways.
When focused by a plan it becomes action directed toward a solution.
Without focus it becomes panic posing risk to all in its directionless range.

When hair rises and adrenaline flows, I focus on the plan.
When I find I have no plan, I focus on making one.

Then I start hammering.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."