What were they thinking???

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
This forum is for general, mountaineering-related topics. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
highpilgrim
14er Checklist (58)
13er Checklist (69)

Re: What were they thinking???

Postby highpilgrim » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:13 pm

tlongpine wrote:Troll hard.

Dex wrote:Are you sure you know what is being said?

Senor tlongpine: you should know that Dexie is a highly sophisticated culvert dweller. Most of his commentary passes well under our heads.

In this case, he thinks because his point is aimed (not so) subtly at the left and right banks and the fourth estate that it makes him once again a sophist beyond your/our comprehension. But rest assured we understand Dexie quite well. Just look him up: http://www.dexdoesntknowshit.com
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
djkest
14er Checklist (58)
13er Checklist (16)

Postby djkest » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:50 am

highpilgrim wrote:

Senor tlongpine: you should know that Dexie is a highly sophisticated culvert dweller. Most of his commentary passes well under our heads.

In this case, he thinks because his point is aimed (not so) subtly at the left and right banks and the fourth estate that it makes him once again a sophist beyond your/our comprehension. But rest assured we understand Dexie quite well. Just look him up: http://www.dexdoesntknowshit.com

I don't think personal attacks are appropriate for an internet forum. And your post is completely off topic.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
Hungry Jack
14er Checklist (12)
13er Checklist (4)

Postby Hungry Jack » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:02 am

tlongpine wrote:
IHikeLikeAGirl wrote:This does not bode well for the guy pushing over the rock....

Google "Glenn Taylor lawsuit" and you will see many articles talking about a personal injury lawsuit filed by Mr. Taylor last month.

An excerpt from one article:
Taylor, the man who is seen actually shoving the rock to the ground, had filed a personal injury lawsuit against a woman and her father for injuries he says he suffered in a 2009 car crash. Taylor filed the lawsuit at the beginning of September saying that after that accident he injured his back and had to "endure great pain and suffering, disability, impairment, loss of joy of life." Taylor also says in the lawsuit that the accident was "debilitating."

Oh, that's rich.

Congrats to Glenn Taylor. He is now American Asshat of the Week for October 21, 2013.

Glenn will receive a XXXL t-shirt from the American Asshat Association and a free weekend getaway at the Holiday Inn in Decatur in recognition of his accomplishment.
I need more dehydrogenase.
Mtnman200
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (311)

Postby Mtnman200 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:23 am

Mtnman200 wrote:I'd also like to point out that the good that Boy Scouts do far outweighs anything negative. As an example, below is a quote from a 10/16/13 email I received from one of my coworkers about her Eagle Scout son Curtis Ray ("Cray"), whose Eagle Court of Honor my wife and I attended on 4/13/13...

The email that I cut & pasted from described how this 15-year old Eagle Scout saved a man's life on Sept. 18th. Here's the followup from yesterday's local news:

http://www.kvue.com/home/Williamson-County-Scout-honored-with-saving-mans-life-229720531.html
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
tlongpine
14er Checklist (26)
14ers Skied (1)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (4)

Postby tlongpine » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:37 am

highpilgrim wrote:

I get it.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
painless4u2
14er Checklist (58)

Postby painless4u2 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:25 am

Update: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/02/01/269926160/men-filmed-toppling-ancient-rock-formation-are-charged-in-utah

Looks like these guys are being charged with felony criminal mischief. The rock had no comment.

edit: Just noticed another thread had started on this latest news. Apologies.
In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9

Bad decisions often make good stories.

"I mean, what could go wrong?" - Brett Maune

Justthefactsman. Your new moniker.
CorduroyCalves
14er Checklist (15)
13er Checklist (1)

Postby CorduroyCalves » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:53 pm

painless4u2 wrote:Update: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/02/01/269926160/men-filmed-toppling-ancient-rock-formation-are-charged-in-utah

Looks like these guys are being charged with felony criminal mischief. The rock had no comment.

edit: Just noticed another thread had started on this latest news. Apologies.

No worries, hadn't noticed this initial thread when the news came out. I think Bill deleted the other thread.

I know it sounds weird, but given how many natural features get vandalized/destroyed with little or no knowledge of who the perps are, it's nice to see these guys face the music over their actions. Wish more folks got caught over stuff like this.
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir
justiner
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (4)
13er Checklist (32)

Postby justiner » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:00 pm

CorduroyCalves wrote:I know it sounds weird, but given how many natural features get vandalized/destroyed with little or no knowledge of who the perps are, it's nice to see these guys face the music over their actions. Wish more folks got caught over stuff like this.

The first rule of committing a crime is that you do not tell anyone that you are committing a crime. (They second rule is Honor Among Thieves) Heh, I guess that should fall under, "Be Prepared".
The Long Ranger | STRAVA | Instagram

"A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles."
― Edward Abbey, Desert Solitaire
matt pierce
14er Checklist (39)
13er Checklist (13)

Postby matt pierce » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:14 pm

"They will be required to pay an amount yet to be determined, which the state will use to erect warning signs throughout the park, officials said."

Seriously? What an eyesore...
Vincopotamus
14er Checklist (32)
14ers Skied (1)
14ers in Winter (3)
13er Checklist (2)

Postby Vincopotamus » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:27 pm

matt pierce wrote:"They will be required to pay an amount yet to be determined, which the state will use to erect warning signs throughout the park, officials said."

Seriously? What an eyesore...

But how else will people know that toppling over million year old rocks is bad? Sign pollution is the only way!
The only time I lower the bar is après
TallGrass
14er Checklist Not Entered
13er Checklist (16)

Postby TallGrass » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:25 pm

"if the men stay out of trouble for the next year and comply with conditions ordered by the court, the cases will be dismissed."
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."

Return to “General Mountaineering Discussion”