Imogene Pass Race

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
This forum is for general, mountaineering-related topics. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
osprey
14er Checklist (25)
13er Checklist (19)

Imogene Pass Race

Postby osprey » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:19 pm

I am in for my 15th IPR.
Any other 14er members sign up before registration closed 2.5 hours after it opened?
joshmcd
14er Checklist (7)
13er Checklist (4)

Re: Imogene Pass Race

Postby joshmcd » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:26 pm

Seriously thought about it, but backed out. Too much going on this year.

It's on the bucket list for an upcoming year.
rocky
14er Checklist Not Entered

Postby rocky » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:46 pm

I'm in - registered at 6:05 am! This will be my first time at Imogene. Can anyone tell me how the uphill compares in difficulty to the uphill at Pikes Peak?
rocky
south fork, colorado
siop

Postby siop » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:13 am

rocky wrote:I'm in - registered at 6:05 am! This will be my first time at Imogene. Can anyone tell me how the uphill compares in difficulty to the uphill at Pikes Peak?

I haven't run Pike's but I thought Imogene was a pretty runable uphill until the last half mile to mile. There's a few steep sections before this, but nothing sustained. If you get caught in the back right away you'll get stuck in the conga line until you hit the jeep trail so I'd suggest to be prepared to push it a bit at first.

No Imogene for me this year, I'm running UROC and they're too close together.
"because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing the lawn. climb that goddamn mountain" -jack kerouac

"here is your chance to find your own way. go on your own. be adventuresome. don't forever seek the easiest way. go the way you find. don't demand trail signs and sturdy bridges. don't demand we show you the mountains. see them and find them yourself. here's your chance to get lost, fall in the creek, find a beautiful place." -randy morgenson
mtnjim
14er Checklist (57)
13er Checklist (216)

Postby mtnjim » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:56 am

With an elevation gain of about 5200' over 10 miles (if I'm remembering correctly), the Imogene climb is both shorter and less steep than Pikes. Top elevation is 1000' lower.

But the really big difference is that with a few short exceptions, Imogene is a road race. Granted a fair amount is a steep rocky road, compared to the Barr trail it's still a road with a few short trail-ish parts. Even in the early section siop mentions, if you're strong (or dumb) enough, passing others is possible. Passing is just much easier on almost all of the course. Also, you won't be coming into runners going the opposite direction as you do in Pikes marathon.
Urban Snowshoer
14er Checklist (38)
14ers Skied (2)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (16)

Postby Urban Snowshoer » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:53 pm

rocky wrote:I'm in - registered at 6:05 am! This will be my first time at Imogene. Can anyone tell me how the uphill compares in difficulty to the uphill at Pikes Peak?

I've done the Pikes Peak Ascent at least 4 times and Imogene twice. I found Imogene to be a harder race because of the distance (over 17 miles versus an uphill half-marathon), as well as the hills. There's a couple of stretches between Upper Camp Bird (about 7 miles) and Imogene Pass (about 10 miles) that are steeper than anything encountered on the Pikes Peak Ascent. Although I've been able to run the Barr Trail in its entirety (including the 16 Golden Stairs) more than once, I've ended up walking some of the steeper stretches between Upper Camp Bird and Imogene Pass--the amount of effort you have to expend running these stretches can exceed any gains in time you'd receive by running (instead of fast-walking).
rocky

Postby rocky » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:21 pm

Thanks, Political Animal. I did Pike's Peak Marathon 3 times, but it's been a long time ago. Appreciate your description and input.
rocky
south fork, colorado
434stonemill
14er Checklist (26)
13er Checklist (1)

Postby 434stonemill » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:20 am

political animal wrote:I've done the Pikes Peak Ascent at least 4 times and Imogene twice. I found Imogene to be a harder race because of the distance (over 17 miles versus an uphill half-marathon), as well as the hills. There's a couple of stretches between Upper Camp Bird (about 7 miles) and Imogene Pass (about 10 miles) that are steeper than anything encountered on the Pikes Peak Ascent. Although I've been able to run the Barr Trail in its entirety (including the 16 Golden Stairs) more than once, I've ended up walking some of the steeper stretches between Upper Camp Bird and Imogene Pass--the amount of effort you have to expend running these stretches can exceed any gains in time you'd receive by running (instead of fast-walking).

I would 2nd this description. I have done IPR 3 times and Pikes Ascent once. I found that I could run Pike's almost the whole way whereas I have never felt like or been able to run IPR's upper sections. Pike's steepest section (not counting the Golden Stairs) is actually while you are still on the road. IPR's steepest sections (which are steeper than Pike's) are when you are over 11000 feet. It pays to power hike IPR then try to run the full climb.

One similarity between the races is there is a mid-section of the climb that actually is flat. Where one can run too fast. IPR's first 5 miles are relatively easy and can be a siren's song to run too hard. The climb really starts after passing Lower Camp Bird. Your average elevation gain the first 5 miles is 360ft/mile. The next 5 miles average 700ft/mile.

I also think IPR is a harder race as it has a downhill (much like Pike's Marathon). I was surprised the first time I ran IPR by how steep the initial descent is. I was so looking forward to doing downhill thinking it would be easy after climbing for 10 miles, but the first few miles of descent were not easy, it is steep, a little bit of loose rock, and had the feeling I could run off the mountain. It then levels out to the point where you can run without fear, but I was soon surprised to find myself wanting an uphill after about 5 miles of descending. It does destroy the legs.

Both races are great, but I love IPR more. It is far more scenic. I love Telluride. I think it is tougher than Pike's Ascent. And unlike Pike's Marathon where you end up back where you start, I like the feeling of accomplishment of having run from one town to another over the pass.

I was disappointed to see that they have discontinued allowing transfers. I think races that close out so far in advance do a disservice but not allowing the transfer.
osprey
14er Checklist (25)
13er Checklist (19)

Postby osprey » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:40 am

I have not done the PPM but the description by political animal and 434stonemill are similiar to what other runners who have done both races have told me while riding back on the bus from Telluride to Ouray following the IPR - i.e, the IPR is more technical and has more unrunnable segments unless you happen to be a mountain god or goddess.
I usually do a training run on Handies Peak via Grouse Gulch prior to the IPR and am able to run almost all the ascent to the summit and leave Handies feeling like I am in great shape.
But by the time I hit the last two miles before the summit of the IPR I am always looking around for someone's hand to hold onto so they can pull me up to the pass.

Return to “General Mountaineering Discussion”