Telluride Hiking

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
This forum is for general, mountaineering-related topics. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rockchalker
14er Checklist (34)

Telluride Hiking

Postby rockchalker » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:29 am

I will be in Telluride with the family July 6 - July 11 and am looking for suggestions on good hikes in the area. My wife and three kids (9, 13 & 17) are all in great shape, love to hike and have done a few Fourteeners as well so I am sure they want more than just a short, nature hike. I have thought about Sneffels but not sure if they are quite ready for it or not. My wife and I were there years ago, prekids, and I seem to remember going out Wasatch Trail and coming back on Bridal Veil.

Any suggestions in the immediate Telluride area are appreciated.
"Richness is defined not by who has the most but by who needs the least."
colluvium
14er Checklist (8)
13er Checklist (23)

Re: Telluride Hiking

Postby colluvium » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:23 am

If you have access to a high-clearance vehicle, a good place to start would be to drive up to the power plant at Bridal Veil Falls and go from there, either up into Bridal Veil Basin (stunning), or Ingram Basin (also stunning) from which it's not a difficult walk up Ajax peak.

Bear Creek - Wasatch Trail - Bridal Veil would be a very long (but awesome) day but probably a bit much for a 9-year-old, plus you would be spending much of it above 11000' without cover as the monsoon is firing up (been there).

For more ideas, I'd suggest Susan Kee's book (2nd edition is on Amazon, a third edition is out)
and this map:
http://www.buckskinbooksellers.com/book/53/Map+of+the+Mountains+of+Telluride

Just give a shout if you want more suggestions, e.g., from town without vehicle. I'm generally there that time of year doing exactly that. It's fairly incredible how much lonely trail that's accessible if you can manage the climb out the the valley.
enjoy.
ColoradoEd
14er Checklist (55)
13er Checklist (9)

Postby ColoradoEd » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:51 am

Hope Lake (Trailhead is past Trout Lake near Lizard Head Pass).

Blue Lakes (Trailhead is on the north side of Sneffels near Ralph Lauren's Place).

You won't be sorry.
jbchalk
14er Checklist (58)

Postby jbchalk » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:02 am

Ajax Peak (12,785') is a great half day hike. Drive up to the top of Bridal Veil Falls and follow the 4WD road up above Ingraham Falls. The Ajax trail is a faint trail on your left once you enter the basin. Great views.
2giqs
14er Checklist (58)
13er Checklist (31)

Postby 2giqs » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:21 pm

I'd also recommend the 2.5 mile hike up to Hope Lake. Driving the last couple miles to the TH can be a bit tedious with a passenger car. Going by Trout Lake you'll pass an old railroad trestle. At Hope Lake you have several peaks to choose from should you wish to climb further including a neat little bump right at the shoreline.

La Junta also makes for a good half day climb from the power plant. From where the below photo was taken I hiked straight up the middle encountering loose class 3 conditions just above the cliff band. I descended on the slope to the photo's right which led thru class 1 and 2 terrain.

036 - Copy.JPG
036 - Copy.JPG (291.2 KiB) Viewed 670 times
WarDamnPanic
14er Checklist (58)
13er Checklist (1)

Postby WarDamnPanic » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:23 pm

Jud Wiebe Trail and Bear Creek are the two classic Telluride Hikes that are right in town. If you are looking for something longer and more adventurous than Sneffels Highline Trail is wonderful, one of the more scenic hikes in CO imho. Lake Hope and Blue Lakes are also great if you have a 4WD. Another good option is taking the Gondola to the top of the mountain and hiking Ski Forever Trail>Watach Connection> Bear Creek makes for a good Tour De Telluride. The hike from Woods Lake to Navajo Lake is also very scenic, about 10 miles round trip. Have fun.
Bullwinkle
14er Checklist (43)

Postby Bullwinkle » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:23 pm

WarDamnPanic wrote:Jud Wiebe Trail and Bear Creek are the two classic Telluride Hikes that are right in town. If you are looking for something longer and more adventurous than Sneffels Highline Trail is wonderful, one of the more scenic hikes in CO imho. Lake Hope and Blue Lakes are also great if you have a 4WD. Another good option is taking the Gondola to the top of the mountain and hiking Ski Forever Trail>Watach Connection> Bear Creek makes for a good Tour De Telluride. The hike from Woods Lake to Navajo Lake is also very scenic, about 10 miles round trip. Have fun.

+1 for the gondola option. From the drop-off point there are a range of hiking venues--from quite easy to quite challenging. When we were there the gondola ride was free.
As a mountain more fully reveals itself to a man, so the true nature of the man will be more fully revealed

Return to “General Mountaineering Discussion”