5280 mag cover story

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
This forum is for general, mountaineering-related topics. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
benners
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (50)
14ers in Winter (21)
13er Checklist (332)

Re: 5280 mag cover story

Postby benners » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:46 am

rijaca wrote:What are the odds of encountering someone (the same person) on two separate mountains (and not even 14ers) on two consectutive weekends?

I encounter lordhelmut and mtnfiend on just about every mountain I climb.
Papillon
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (31)
13er Checklist (323)

Postby Papillon » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:02 am

I'm a numbers guy and I've kept track of the number of people I encounter on summits and the summit area (maybe a couple hundred feet below) for every peak I've hit. I've never sought isolation either - e.g. alternate route, odd start time, hung back to keep the *streak* going, etc. If somebody is in my group, they don't count. This is what I have:

I've encountered people on 67 14ers.

I've encountered people on 26 13ers. 14 of these have been in the front range (6 summits in two trips - Arapaho/Arapaho/Baldy and Hagues/Rowe/Rowe).

I think the 13ers in the front range will see increased traffic in years to come. I've noticed it on this site over the past few years. Drives to the sawatch, sangre, and elk ranges can be a grind. One can day trip a peak in RMNP or the IPW and not commit to an entire weekend.

I could see a lottery system in Chi Basin down the road, not sure how they'd enforce it though.

14er climbers get all the chicks anyways. Tell a chick at work that you hit Elbert over the weekend and you are in like flynn. Tell the same chick you hit 13,158, 13,106, and 13,091 in the San Juans and you'll get the blank idiot stare. You might even get labeled a freak and have no chance with anyone at work.

It's a cruel world...

benners wrote:I encounter lordhelmut and mtnfiend on just about every mountain I climb.

Man, talk about being born under a bad sign. :lol:
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs
ameristrat
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (6)
13er Checklist (26)

Postby ameristrat » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:33 am

Aug_Dog wrote:
My-Therapy wrote:I was a part of a group of 4 yesterday that hiked Mt. Harvard. It was a perfect day to be in the mountains weather wise and a Saturday, but we saw no one at all until we were heading back down and just 2.5 miles from the trail head. We saw a total of 4 people that were hiking up that afternoon to set up camp and then summit the next day. Our group of 4 never saw or heard anyone else the entire time until we were just a hour or so away from being back at the car. We only saw a 2 sets of foot prints that were ahead of us, but never saw who made them. I have certainly had some hikes where I have shared the trail and summit with many other people, but I have also had many days where I have seen no one else or just a few (under 10). I tend to hike in the busier season and have yet to hike any of the very remote or difficult 14ers and only a few times (Grays & Torreys, Quandry, and Bierstadt) have I felt like they were crowded.

That's very fortunate and rare. Even you would admit that, correct?

To backtrack a little bit - I don't think it's that rare. If you get away from the Front Range, and a couple of the Sawatch peaks, it's pretty easy to have the summit to yourself or just a few others. Maybe I'm less sensitive to others on the trail - as long as people are respectful and it isn't a freeway, I don't mind hiking with some other people. I climbed Wetterhorn and Uncompahgre this past weekend. Perfect weather, trails in decent condition, and saw 5 people all day in 18 miles of hiking. Spent over an hour on the summit between both peaks and didn't see anyone within 1000' of the summit.

I've had similar experiences on probably at least half of the mountains I've climbed and I work Monday-Friday and climb mostly in peak season.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal
madbuck
14er Checklist Not Entered

Postby madbuck » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:48 am

jdawud wrote:Increased use isn't the problem, it's the increased misuse.

Good summary.
If we want our wilderness and other natural areas protected, we need as many stewards as possible.
And if a lifestyle/activity is truly righteous, I'm all for evangelizing it and enjoying it freely (in both senses of the word).
My only other concern with such articles is "consumption" of activity as a braggable status (14ers, marathon running, religion, etc.) rather than heartfelt existential enjoyment (what one would do if nobody were looking or cared), but optimistically a person who tries out a few peaks and starts to enjoy it will get there.
SnowAlien
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (32)
14ers in Winter (45)
13er Checklist (245)

Postby SnowAlien » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:53 pm

Mike Cormier wrote:
rijaca wrote:What are the odds of encountering someone (the same person) on two separate mountains (and not even 14ers) on two consectutive weekends?

I don't know the odds, but I met nkan02 this past weekend on Torreys, as well as on Elbert the previous weekend. Perhaps I'll buy some lottery tickets...

Mike, and don't forget being on San Luis peak summit together last June!

In the same realm, Boggy B and I were on opposing volcanoes (summit at the same hour) in WA one weekend, and then bumped into each other on Kit Carson North ridge the following weekend.
SnowAlien
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (32)
14ers in Winter (45)
13er Checklist (245)

Postby SnowAlien » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:00 pm

Papillon wrote: I think the 13ers in the front range will see increased traffic in years to come. I've noticed it on this site over the past few years. Drives to the sawatch, sangre, and elk ranges can be a grind. One can day trip a peak in RMNP or the IPW and not commit to an entire weekend.

Makes total sense. I got to laugh - I see more people on 13ers than 14ers. I don't mind people, so it is not a big deal, but we got 16(!) people - 4 separate parties on Hagar a couple of weeks ago, full parking lot for Horseshoe - (7?) cars, another party on Aetna. Whenever I do 14ers (and I mostly do them off-season and via non-standard routes) - I typically see nobody but my party. Just bizzare. :)
rijaca
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (4)
13er Checklist (230)

Postby rijaca » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:29 am

d_baker wrote:

I bet you have a story with that, don't you? ;)
If you're the Pappersons and THorvath, running into each other frequently on the "circuit" is a common occurrence.

I've ran into 14ers.com peeps on 14ers (Sherman, Crestone Needle, Mt Wilson), and I've even ran into the Pappersons and THorvath on the 13ers (Gladstone Ridge and Thunder Pyramid, respectively), but I have never ran into the same person on consecutive weekends on a non 14er in two different ranges.

And I agree with Papi's assessment regarding increased traffic on the 13ers and a permit system for ChiBasin.

Oh, and there have been magazine articles, newpaper articles, etc written about the 14ers for years.... The sky isn't falling.
Dick lives.
Mel McKinney
14er Checklist (29)

Postby Mel McKinney » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:36 pm

rijaca wrote:
Oh, and there have been magazine articles, newspaper articles, etc written about the 14ers for years.... The sky isn't falling.

True. I think they did a good job of covering basics. I noticed that the "Permission Slip" section on permits to climb 14ers (that mentions CFI) was written by a "Dan England." Wonder if it's the same Dan who's a member of 14ers.com?

I'm glad they referenced 14ers.com, CMC and CFI, among others. =D>
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")

"Nothing is so embarrassing as watching someone do something that you said couldn't be done."
---Sam Ewing
smoove
14er Checklist (41)
14ers in Winter (11)
13er Checklist (33)

Postby smoove » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:41 pm

Mel McKinney wrote:
rijaca wrote:
Oh, and there have been magazine articles, newspaper articles, etc written about the 14ers for years.... The sky isn't falling.

True. I think they did a good job of covering basics. I noticed that the "Permission Slip" section on permits to climb 14ers (that mentions CFI) was written by a "Dan England." Wonder if it's the same Dan who's a member of 14ers.com?

I'm glad they referenced 14ers.com, CMC and CFI, among others. =D>

Yeah, Dan writes for the Greeley Tribune so I'm sure that's him.
jaymz
14er Checklist Not Entered

Postby jaymz » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:30 pm

I thought the article did a good job of covering the "easiest" (in the most relative sense of the term...) 14ers from the standpoint of people who obviously weren't used to hiking them very often. It gave a pretty good indication that this is a very physically exerting activity, much better than an article saying, "C'mon up Quandary, and bring your overweight grandpa. It's a cakewalk!"
Dan England
14er Checklist (58)
13er Checklist (29)

Postby Dan England » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:42 am

That's indeed me. Thanks for reading it guys. I appreciate it. It was fun to work with 5280, and I think the magazine did a good job of covering some fun basics. The 5280 market isn't Outside and Backpacker, so I appreciate what 5280 was trying to do. Fletch I hope I'm not the one with bad reviews! :)

Heads up: I am working on a story about Homie's 14er record attempt last year. I will post it when it runs. It will run for SB Nation/Longform and I'm really excited about it.
Dan England
14er Checklist (58)
13er Checklist (29)

Postby Dan England » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:43 am

On another note the Permission Slip story was cut by quite a bit, so I will probably explore that issue this summer as well for the Tribune.

Return to “General Mountaineering Discussion”