5280 mag cover story

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
This forum is for general, mountaineering-related topics. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jmanner
14er Checklist (47)
14ers Skied (9)
14ers in Winter (5)
13er Checklist (25)

Re: 5280 mag cover story

Postby jmanner » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:58 pm

If you don't want to see people climb in October-June! I climbed 4 14ers this spring and only saw noone but my climb partner the whole time! If you want solitude, perhaps don't only climb in the July-September time frame and stay away from the fan favorites. Personally, I don't mind sharing the 14ers with a few fellow 14er enthusiasts.
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8
ChrisRoberts
14er Checklist (12)
13er Checklist (10)

Postby ChrisRoberts » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:23 pm

Aug_Dog wrote:You kind of have to get used to it or start hiking 12ers.

Come on man youre blowing my cover!
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!
Aug_Dog
14er Checklist (31)
13er Checklist (16)

Postby Aug_Dog » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:50 pm

My-Therapy wrote:
Aug_Dog wrote:Unfortunately, the crowds are only going to grow. You kind of have to get used to it or start hiking 12ers. Even the 13ers are starting to become the new "cool."

I was a part of a group of 4 yesterday that hiked Mt. Harvard. It was a perfect day to be in the mountains weather wise and a Saturday, but we saw no one at all until we were heading back down and just 2.5 miles from the trail head. We saw a total of 4 people that were hiking up that afternoon to set up camp and then summit the next day. Our group of 4 never saw or heard anyone else the entire time until we were just a hour or so away from being back at the car. We only saw a 2 sets of foot prints that were ahead of us, but never saw who made them. I have certainly had some hikes where I have shared the trail and summit with many other people, but I have also had many days where I have seen no one else or just a few (under 10). I tend to hike in the busier season and have yet to hike any of the very remote or difficult 14ers and only a few times (Grays & Torreys, Quandry, and Bierstadt) have I felt like they were crowded.

That's very fortunate and rare. Even you would admit that, correct?
Go get it
Aug_Dog
14er Checklist (31)
13er Checklist (16)

Postby Aug_Dog » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:56 pm

jmanner wrote:If you don't want to see people climb in October-June! I climbed 4 14ers this spring and only saw noone but my climb partner the whole time! If you want solitude, perhaps don't only climb in the July-September time frame and stay away from the fan favorites. Personally, I don't mind sharing the 14ers with a few fellow 14er enthusiasts.

Great outlook! One of my favorite summits was Handies this past year. I got to chat with a gentleman that had just finished the 14ers and was having champagne with his - what I believe - was his wife. I ended up taking a few photos and connecting with him through 14ers.com. Really neat to hear about his journey, as he was a tad older and faaaar wiser than myself. Same with Holy Cross, even though it's popular peak. I was there to witness a young man finishing. The further you venture into the 14er journey, the more you will share some great summits with some humble folk. I always look forward to hearing the stories. It's fun to hear of what corners we all traveled from to make this summit together. Now, the more remote, the more likely you are to hear a great and unique tale.
Go get it
SchralpTheGnar
14er Checklist (50)
14ers Skied (48)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (15)

Postby SchralpTheGnar » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:05 pm

Young fools, only now at the end do you fully understand. You will pay for your lack of vision.
MuchosPixels
14er Checklist Not Entered

Postby MuchosPixels » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:38 am

The height of a mountain is not what makes it good too hike/climb. Thats just a number. More important is the terrain, vertical relief, the trail/route, the conditions, views and overall scenery.
bonehead

Postby bonehead » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:06 am

Crowds, What Crowds.
If anyone had joined me on Horn last week,
we would have made a crowd of 2.
I saw no one all day.
Cruiser
14er Checklist (43)

Postby Cruiser » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:14 am

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The prescription for enjoying solitude on the 14ers during busy summer weekends is simple. Take non-standard routes and/or leave very early in the morning. I've had some "alone time" on at least 2/3 of my 14er summits over the last several years by doing it this way.
Where ever you are... There you are.
boudreaux
14er Checklist (57)
13er Checklist (111)

Postby boudreaux » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:35 am

A Monday through Wednesday is the key to having a 14er all to yourself in most cases!

Last time I was on Horn, I met 3 Amish climbers from Cotopaxi, Amish Climbers! Spoke Pennsy Dutch too!
Ragin Cajun
Scott P
14er Checklist (46)
14ers in Winter (16)
13er Checklist (30)

Postby Scott P » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:38 am

If you don't want to see people climb in October-June! I climbed 4 14ers this spring and only saw noone but my climb partner the whole time! If you want solitude, perhaps don't only climb in the July-September time frame and stay away from the fan favorites. Personally, I don't mind sharing the 14ers with a few fellow 14er enthusiasts.

I agree. During that time of year it seems actually very rare to run into someone except for on Bierstadt and Quandary. I've climbed a majority of 14ers in this time period and during that period and can only think of running into people on Quandary, Bierstadt and Mount Elbert. In summer we've always run into people, but it seems silly to complain about it since I was one of them too. I don't mind sharing the summits with other people either.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
My-Therapy
14er Checklist (56)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (21)

Postby My-Therapy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:05 am

My Bother-In-Law and I hike Mt. Bierstadt on Thanksgiving Day 2 years ago and only saw 5 other people all day. The traffic was very light as well from the trail head to home.
bonehead

Postby bonehead » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:07 am

boudreaux wrote:Last time I was on Horn, I met 3 Amish climbers from Cotopaxi, Amish Climbers!

I find them rafting the Arkansas also.
A fair sized community around here.
Great People.

Return to “General Mountaineering Discussion”