5280 mag cover story

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
This forum is for general, mountaineering-related topics. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
chrismjx
14er Checklist (7)

5280 mag cover story

Postby chrismjx » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:18 pm

Saw it in the checkout line today. It just says "FOURTEENERS!" and has a picture of a hiker on Bierstadt. I always pucker a bit when I see things like this, or hear Coniglio say something like "It's gonna be a GREAT weekend for skiing! Everyone should get out there!" when I've been watching the weather like a hawk for a week secretly hoping that somehow no one else was... Ha ha :lol: I don't mind everyone else loving the things and places that I love in Colorado, I just don't want to see them all on the same weekend!

link: http://www.5280.com/magazine/2013/06/higher-ground
Aug_Dog
14er Checklist (31)
13er Checklist (16)

Re: 5280 mag cover story

Postby Aug_Dog » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:43 pm

Unfortunately, the crowds are only going to grow. You kind of have to get used to it or start hiking 12ers. Even the 13ers are starting to become the new "cool."
Go get it
d_baker
14er Checklist (57)
14ers in Winter (12)
13er Checklist (196)

Postby d_baker » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:04 pm

Aug_Dog wrote:Unfortunately, the crowds are only going to grow. Even the 13ers are starting to become the new "cool."

But there's 10x as many (13ers) to choose from, and the chances of being the only group on a mountain are greater than on a fourteener -- if that's what you want.
Last edited by d_baker on Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Urban Snowshoer
14er Checklist (38)
14ers Skied (2)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (16)

Postby Urban Snowshoer » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:06 pm

Aug_Dog wrote:Unfortunately, the crowds are only going to grow. You kind of have to get used to it or start hiking 12ers. Even the 13ers are starting to become the new "cool."

It's probably been at least 10 years since I've climbed Gray's Peak or Mount Elbert in the summer, post-melt off, and they were crowded then (by most definitions of the term). I don't imagine the crowds have decreased since then, to say the least. More recently, I have made a couple of successful winter climbs of Gray's Peak, and had solitude on one, and saw less 10 people on the other one. When you have to skin-up from Bakerville and ski 3 miles to get to the summer trailhead, crowds are generally not a problem.

Limitations on the number of people that can climb per day are matter of when, not if, especially for peaks like Mount Elbert and Gray's Peak (the Stevens Gulch route in particular). However, 13ers becoming popular is news to me. I've done 13ers (on the Front Range) within the last year or two, and have still never had a problem with crowds.
Aug_Dog
14er Checklist (31)
13er Checklist (16)

Postby Aug_Dog » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:35 pm

d_baker wrote:
Aug_Dog wrote:Unfortunately, the crowds are only going to grow. Even the 13ers are starting to become the new "cool."

But there's 10x as many (13ers) to choose from, and the chances of being the only group on a mountain are greater than on a fourteener -- if that's what you want.

no question ... but they will grow more busy ... especially as more people seek solitude and new challenges ... i'm not even done with the 14ers and I am already becoming enamored with the 13ers and a certain range that you're actually not supposed to talk about. I have no real data or anything to back this up, but I feel like the 13ers are already being discussed more on this site.
Go get it
d_baker
14er Checklist (57)
14ers in Winter (12)
13er Checklist (196)

Postby d_baker » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:41 pm

Dex wrote:Let's say you are 25 now and you will be 62 in 2050 - there will be about a 40-45% increase in the population. So, those peaks will be crowded - maybe.

Then again who will be able to go there?
- Will you be able to afford to get to the mts? Gas (what will that cost in 2050), car, ins, parking, mtc.
- Will you be working 2 jobs to survive financially?
- The very young, old, and poor won't be in the mts.
- What will the obesity issue be like then?

http://www.pewhispanic.org/2008/02/11/us-population-projections-2005-2050/

Population growth is and has been the elephant in the room that no one talks about.

Dex Downer:

CorduroyCalves
14er Checklist (15)
13er Checklist (1)

Postby CorduroyCalves » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:27 pm

d_baker wrote:
Dex Downer:

:lol:
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir
justiner
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (4)
13er Checklist (32)

Postby justiner » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:02 pm

Goodness, I love 5280 Mag. Oh hey, that's my butt:

N3p4F.jpg
My Butt
N3p4F.jpg (135.75 KiB) Viewed 1222 times
The Long Ranger | STRAVA | Instagram

"A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles."
― Edward Abbey, Desert Solitaire
ajkagy
14er Checklist Not Entered

Postby ajkagy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:17 am

Dex wrote:Let's say you are 25 now and you will be 62 in 2050 - there will be about a 40-45% increase in the population. So, those peaks will be crowded - maybe.

Then again who will be able to go there?
- Will you be able to afford to get to the mts? Gas (what will that cost in 2050), car, ins, parking, mtc.
- Will you be working 2 jobs to survive financially?
- The very young, old, and poor won't be in the mts.
- What will the obesity issue be like then?

http://www.pewhispanic.org/2008/02/11/us-population-projections-2005-2050/

Population growth is and has been the elephant in the room that no one talks about.

that's pretty scary to think about. 95%+ of that population growth will be on the front range. The mountains 3+ hours from Denver will always be uncrowded since that is usually beyond the weekend crowd's range.
painless4u2
14er Checklist (58)

Postby painless4u2 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:21 pm

2050?

Climbing 14ers will be a moot point by then. The access to them will be stopped due to lack of wheelchair access (except Evans and Pikes), and by then they will have determined the harm being done to the marmot habitat by countless boot strikes. :-"
In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9

Bad decisions often make good stories.

"I mean, what could go wrong?" - Brett Maune

Justthefactsman. Your new moniker.
I fall a lot
14er Checklist Not Entered

Postby I fall a lot » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:01 pm

Aug_Dog wrote:Unfortunately, the crowds are only going to grow. You kind of have to get used to it or start hiking 12ers. Even the 13ers are starting to become the new "cool."

Ah, the ol' 'everyone but me contributes to a crowd' post. I thought it would take a little longer! :-D

I'm all for more people enjoying the outdoors and what our state has to offer.
My-Therapy
14er Checklist (56)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (21)

Postby My-Therapy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:44 pm

I was a part of a group of 4 yesterday that hiked Mt. Harvard. It was a perfect day to be in the mountains weather wise and a Saturday, but we saw no one at all until we were heading back down and just 2.5 miles from the trail head. We saw a total of 4 people that were hiking up that afternoon to set up camp and then summit the next day. Our group of 4 never saw or heard anyone else the entire time until we were just a hour or so away from being back at the car. We only saw a 2 sets of foot prints that were ahead of us, but never saw who made them. I have certainly had some hikes where I have shared the trail and summit with many other people, but I have also had many days where I have seen no one else or just a few (under 10). I tend to hike in the busier season and have yet to hike any of the very remote or difficult 14ers and only a few times (Grays & Torreys, Quandry, and Bierstadt) have I felt like they were crowded.

Return to “General Mountaineering Discussion”