Is this list missing anyone?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
This forum is for general, mountaineering-related topics. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SeracZack
14er Checklist Not Entered

Re: Is this list missing anyone?

Postby SeracZack » Fri May 24, 2013 7:14 am

Why do we need a list of climbers and mountaineers? Is there some kind of elitest attitude that climbers have so they can be in the mainstream limelight? I would say the average person doesn't care about the likes of Charlie Houston, Steve House, Ed Viesturs, etc. (some of my personal heros, idols, whatever).

I don't really know why this irks me, but it does. Maybe I haven't had enough coffee this morning. Where is the list on Wiki for professional athletes, movie stars, librarians, teachers, ditch diggers?

End rant.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller
bonehead

Postby bonehead » Fri May 24, 2013 7:18 am

George Lowe, Jack Durrance

Might have missed this guy also

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babu_Chiri_Sherpa

But they got Dr Jon!
Last edited by bonehead on Fri May 24, 2013 7:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
madbuck

Postby madbuck » Fri May 24, 2013 7:19 am

SeracZack wrote:Why do we need a list of climbers and mountaineers? Is there some kind of elitest attitude that climbers have so they can be in the mainstream limelight? I would say the average person doesn't care about the likes of Charlie Houston, Steve House, Ed Viesturs, etc. (some of my personal heros, idols, whatever).

I don't really know why this irks me, but it does. Maybe I haven't had enough coffee this morning. Where is the list on Wiki for professional athletes, movie stars, librarians, teachers, ditch diggers?

End rant.

See my post above on how these lists are generated if you want to get more irked! :-D
And if people want to add to the Wiki list, they should (or ignore it).

But other lists of "famous people" do exist on Wikipedia. While not always complete, I've found them useful for solving word puzzles (crosswords, NPR Sunday puzzle, etc.) [Need a "nerd smiley face" icon here...]
Last edited by madbuck on Fri May 24, 2013 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
davebobk47
14er Checklist (58)
13er Checklist (67)

Postby davebobk47 » Fri May 24, 2013 7:20 am

Albert Ellingwood
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev

http://summitcountyhiker.com
Jim Davies
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (61)

Postby Jim Davies » Fri May 24, 2013 7:26 am

Nawang Gombu, first man to summit Everest twice.
Noel Odell, last man to see Mallory & Irvine alive, first ascent of Nanda Devi.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
kaiman

Postby kaiman » Fri May 24, 2013 7:34 am

Impressive list. The info on Steve House is incorrect though. He climbed the Rupal Face on Nanga by a new route but it was first climbed by Reinhold and Gunther Messner with a descent of the Daimir Face in 1970: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanga_Parbat

I would also add Peter Metcalf who bought Chouinard Equipment from Yvon and renamed it Black Diamond Equipment. He also put up several first ascents and new routes in Alaska including on Mount Huntington (which almost killed him) and was the one of the founding members of the Outdoor Recreation Coalition (a precursor of the Outdoor Industry Association) which advocates for environmental preservation and climbing access on public lands.

Also, how about Grand Teton legends Dick Pownall: http://outerlocal.com/climbing/from-cleated-boots-to-ski-descents-outpost Glenn Exum: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenn_Exum and Paul Petzoldt: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Petzoldt
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
kaiman

Postby kaiman » Fri May 24, 2013 7:37 am

"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
SeracZack

Postby SeracZack » Fri May 24, 2013 7:42 am

kaiman wrote:The info on Steve House is incorrect though. He climbed the Rupal Face on Nanga by a new route but it was first climbed by Reinhold and Gunther Messner with a descent of the Daimir Face in 1970: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanga_Parbat

Just another reason I don't like Wikipedia. Let's just let everyone contribute, so there is no credibility to any of the info. Usually good links to actual useful info though.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller
Mindy
14er Checklist (14)
13er Checklist (25)

Postby Mindy » Fri May 24, 2013 8:43 am

So… where would one find a credible list of the top climbers and mountaineers?

Thanks for the additions! I personally enjoy reading about others accomplishments regarding both climbing and mountaineering. This sort of list just helps direct me to those people.
bonehead

Postby bonehead » Fri May 24, 2013 9:48 am

As far as that wiki list goes.
It's pretty damn good.
Bouncing from reference to reference
could take days.
A pretty inclusive history could be discovered.
I often get lost in wiki,
one link leads to another,
and another.
Happy wiki Trails.
Thanks for posting.
Pat
jomagam
14er Checklist (16)
13er Checklist (9)

Postby jomagam » Fri May 24, 2013 10:04 am

Rock climbing and mountaineering is quite different in my book.

Alexander Megos probably belongs on the climber list.

Return to “General Mountaineering Discussion”