IT Band exercises...

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
This forum is for general, mountaineering-related topics. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
pudgy
14er Checklist (23)

Re: IT Band exercises...

Postby pudgy » Tue May 21, 2013 11:12 am

Everyone's pain and injury have unique causes, so take this for what it's worth.
I went through IT Band problems last winter, I thought I was done hiking the high country, fought the pain as long as I could but then finally relented and went to a PT. After an exam and going through some movement stuff at his office, he said I had weak hip flexors. We went to work using electronic stimulation and band exercises and by the time spring rolled around the pain was gone. In the summer I did Handies, Sunshine/Red Cloud and Yale in a week. He also recommended trekking poles which I used for the first time and they really helped by absorbing the shock coming back down the mountains.
Steve Climber
14er Checklist (27)
14ers in Winter (3)
13er Checklist (25)

Postby Steve Climber » Tue May 21, 2013 12:13 pm

pudgy wrote:Everyone's pain and injury have unique causes, so take this for what it's worth.
I went through IT Band problems last winter, I thought I was done hiking the high country, fought the pain as long as I could but then finally relented and went to a PT. After an exam and going through some movement stuff at his office, he said I had weak hip flexors. We went to work using electronic stimulation and band exercises and by the time spring rolled around the pain was gone. In the summer I did Handies, Sunshine/Red Cloud and Yale in a week. He also recommended trekking poles which I used for the first time and they really helped by absorbing the shock coming back down the mountains.

+1 for trekking poles. One of the guys on Torreys climb could tell I was pretty beat up on way down and sacrificed his poles for me to use. They helped me FAR more than I can explain and sold me instantly on needing a set. As far as an ortho goes, I will talk to my uncle (Ortho in Reno/Tahoe) and try to set up an appt locally too. I would not be surprised a bit if all my leg muscles are weaker than they should be. I had a very inactive winter by my standards. Just recently got back into workout mode and have been climbing a lot, so I am hoping I can make quick recovery.

Cheers!
Sam
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
Hungry Jack
14er Checklist (12)
13er Checklist (4)

Postby Hungry Jack » Tue May 21, 2013 12:45 pm

aboynamedmargrette wrote:
Hungry Jack wrote:I am assuming the pain is on the outer side of the knee cap, probably under the knee cap, or perhaps on the side of the knee where the LCL attaches. Sounds like you have some significant irritation in there.

You should see an orthopede to get a firm diagnosis and a prescription for PT. Ice and anti-inflammatories should help, but you need to learn how to work to manage this overuse condition. It won't really go away, but you can limit the amount of damage done to the articulating surface of the kneecap with proper training and treatment.

I too remember having a very sore knee on Kelso Ridge as I was in the midst of a flare-up. Maybe there is something about Kelso...

If I had to explain it, it's the lower outside "quadrant" of my left knee cap. On the descent off Torreys and the tree slog back off Shavano, it was VERY painful for an extended period and started radiating down the outside of my shin (to about mid shin). I noticed when I isolated it on Shavano during snowboard back down, it was all good and if I keep my leg straight I can land on left foot with little pain, but if I step down on bent leg or sidehill with left side on the uphill...lookout!

Sounds familiar. With your leg straight and "locked", the kneecap is not engaged and anchoring the frontal leg muscles while they do work to power your descent/ascent. But engaging the kneecap to anchor the leg muscles at even a slight angle can be excruciating. It is amazing how debilitating it can be. I had noticeable atrophy in my affected leg over the year that I waited to see an ortho about my constant knee pain. I was favoring it that much.

The pain in your shin is probably cramping of the lower leg muscles as they work to protect your kneecap. During my bad episodes, I would get pain and pulling in my ITB from my buttock down the side of my leg all the way through my ankle and foot. Everything was on lockdown.

The good news is your situation can be managed, but you have to learn how. Get to a doc, get your prescription for PT, and find a good one who has dealt with ITB issues. He/she should spend as much time working on your hip stabilizers as your knee muscles. I know two very good ones in Chicago, if it's any help.

And yes to trekking poles. Your menisci will appreciate it.
I need more dehydrogenase.
TallGrass
14er Checklist Not Entered
13er Checklist (16)

Postby TallGrass » Fri May 24, 2013 2:27 am

They've got a Multi Hip machine at the the gym I use ($99/year, 24hr M-F, not bad) so you can work ab-/ad-ductor muscles standing or sitting (different machine). Depending on how you set it up, the pad can also roll up and down your IT band as you use it.

Had some soreness in right hip after a 12-hour hike, then also got some knee pain, tenderness where the peroneus brevis tendone attaches at the back of the fifth metatarsal, and then later some lower shin tenderness which I attributed to a chain reaction of sorts and some muscle splinting going on. Rested it a week with some heat as it got less tender, time then some of the stuff others have posted. Figured too much straight on the stairmaster so started turning 45-degrees so I was cross-stepping a bit (no holding rails so full weight, no touching rails so 'balance' muscles get worked) and found it was noticeable when turned to the left, but not right. Various machines, some rolling and heat at home, the on next visit no pain when turned left on the SM. Seems better now, but going to target the building strength, balance, and flexibility there. Probably need to start doing less "linear" strength exercises too. :oops:

For $9/mo, nice to have those machines to use when you want to do some PT in addition to other exercise (e.g. weights, cardio) or at least keep in shape while trying to rehab (work around it). Not a sub for actual hiking naturally, but it's a shorter "commute" and weather isn't a factor. If you're in college, check out their gym/rec center to see what they have as your fees to use are probably already paid for (part of tuition). Many are pretty well equipped and might even have other equipment you could use if they have a PT center.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."

Return to “General Mountaineering Discussion”