Sleeping on the Summits II: The SEQUEL

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
This forum is for general, mountaineering-related topics. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Steve Climber
14er Checklist (27)
14ers in Winter (3)
13er Checklist (25)

Re: Sleeping on the Summits II: The SEQUEL

Postby Steve Climber » Mon May 20, 2013 7:13 pm

zdero1 wrote:
Dr_Jon wrote:Hello Everyone, I'M BACK!

Edit: Ah...youtube video upload fail...I'll post the URL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQKKj_qeOBQ

=D> =D> =D> Well done, sir...even with the failed upload =D> =D> =D>
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
klinger
14er Checklist (15)

Postby klinger » Tue May 21, 2013 2:50 am

Damn I have to start writing now? My list isn't really about summits though. It seems my guts have knowledge of critical distance from treeline - as in "you ain't gonna make it buddy".

working title:...

"Crapping without shelter, DYBM"

by Cpl. Klinger

open to suggestions.
susanjoypaul
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (87)

Postby susanjoypaul » Tue May 21, 2013 6:26 am

I propose a one-day moratorium on unkind thoughts and words against Dr. Jon - and everyone else, deserved or not - in honor of the victims of the Oklahoma tornado. I'm not defending or attacking anyone, just trying to focus all this energy in a more positive direction.

So for today, let's all be nice to each other, OK? If you're tempted to log on to voice your thoughts, try this site instead: American Red Cross. There are instructions for donating via phone, text, or online. Peace.

We can all get back to our normal, nasty selves tomorrow...
kansas
14er Checklist Not Entered

Postby kansas » Tue May 21, 2013 7:49 am

"Dr" Jon is probably already on his way to Oklahoma to take pictures and set up a sleeping bag somewhere. Surely a man with his skills can find a way to make money off of this.
matt pierce
14er Checklist (39)
13er Checklist (13)

Postby matt pierce » Tue May 21, 2013 8:00 am

Sorry Susan - sleeping on peaks has nothing to do with OKC...

Should we also have a moment of silence for the Boston folks? How about Katrina victims? Sandy Hook? How about something for that poor sole Mason who fell and had his chest crushed on El Cap this week?

Cmon...

As to Jon (not Dr Jon) - he is an attention whore. What's worse is he demands respect from people. Unfortunately this is a small community and 1 thing I've learned over the years is that you can't demand respect from fellow climbers - you have to earn it - by silently going out and crushing it weekend after weekend etc.

I believe Aron Ralston is still the only person to summit all 14ers in winter SOLO - now that's a book I would read
Ken Nolan is like late 60's and has climbed like the highest 3,000 peaks in CO - or something like that - many in winter - many solo - and I believe he is the current "grid" leader - A book I would read for sure
Members of this site like Sarah T (Meiser) and Kevin Baker earn respect because they love the mountains and are out "walking the walk"

There is simply nothing special about sleeping on the 14ers - certainly not worth writing a book about - but in true capitalist form Jon has proven that if you are legend in your own mind you can get the herd to believe you, follow and buy books.

Which I suppose is fine - unless you fabricate some of the details - like stating your meteorologist friend was "with you" on the summits because he was texting you ](*,)

People lie - see - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Million_Little_Pieces

So Jon - stop calling yourself a doctor and please know that we simply don't respect your stunt's

Oh and 1 more thing - if I'm out on the trail somewhere and you find me injured and bleeding please don't take photos of me and post them online [-X
madbuck
14er Checklist Not Entered

Postby madbuck » Tue May 21, 2013 8:39 am

As a public service announcement, I wanted to let you know there were a few SIGNED copies of the first book at the Boulder Bookstore a few months ago:
jk_phd.jpg
jk_phd.jpg (43.34 KiB) Viewed 334 times

At the time, I noticed there were some copies with the "PhD" signed as well...and some weren't. Collector's item?
I was thinking about buying these for myself, or selling them here as a public service...but ended up doing neither, and just took an inspired picture. Glad to know that others might enjoy it as well!

Peace!
globreal
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (1)
14ers in Winter (17)
13er Checklist (116)

Postby globreal » Tue May 21, 2013 8:42 am

susanjoypaul wrote:I propose a one-day moratorium on unkind thoughts and words against Dr. Jon - and everyone else, deserved or not - in honor of the victims of the Oklahoma tornado. I'm not defending or attacking anyone, just trying to focus all this energy in a more positive direction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGt9jAkWie4

Great advice from an old classic.
According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you.
1 Peter 1:3-4
DArcyS
14er Checklist (58)
13er Checklist (427)

Postby DArcyS » Tue May 21, 2013 8:49 am

I think I can understand people's angst in Dr. Jon repeating what's already been done before. So, would it help if he just limited himself to Tebowing on top of the summits?
Guitarzan
14er Checklist (4)

Postby Guitarzan » Tue May 21, 2013 8:54 am

There is a Market for books on places you've slept??..........Sweet!! I'm gonna win a pulitzer. I am freakin master when it comes to sleepin!!
"Pain don't hurt."- Patrick Swayze ROAD HOUSE
Steve Climber
14er Checklist (27)
14ers in Winter (3)
13er Checklist (25)

Postby Steve Climber » Tue May 21, 2013 9:06 am

Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber
14er Checklist (27)
14ers in Winter (3)
13er Checklist (25)

Postby Steve Climber » Tue May 21, 2013 9:41 am

Fletch wrote:
aboynamedmargrette wrote:
Fletch wrote:alright, alright, alright...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0Cwtvdaks4k

Was thinkin' more along these lines...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPeEaCZMT-A

L-I-V-I-N...

haha! We keep gettin' older, they stay the same age.

MonGoose
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (6)
14ers in Winter (13)
13er Checklist (20)

Postby MonGoose » Tue May 21, 2013 10:34 am

inthemtns wrote: ... So, would it help if he just limited himself to Tebowing on top of the summits?

Hey, that's my project! [-X

Tebowing on the summit of Humboldt Peak, December 26, 2011.

Return to “General Mountaineering Discussion”