Solo???

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
This forum is for general, mountaineering-related topics. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jim Davies
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (61)

Re: Solo???

Postby Jim Davies » Fri May 17, 2013 5:29 pm

It sounds like you need to get your girlfriend more involved. :)

I did most of my hiking solo for several years while my wife and kids stayed home. Then the kids got big enough to hike, and we did more family stuff (and wife and kids got to about 30 14ers apiece). Now the kids are graduated from college and I haven't soloed a 14er in about 3 years - my wife drags me up them instead (and we'll probably finish the list together this year or next).
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
susanjoypaul
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (87)

Postby susanjoypaul » Sat May 18, 2013 7:17 am

ak47 wrote:However, we should all understand that it's a selfish act...

You say "selfish" like it's a bad thing.

ak47 wrote:...and usually causes undue stress upon our families/ loved ones who don't understand why we wander into the woods for days on end in the first place.

...as does hearing your girlfriend disapprovingly say "please be careful" and roll her eyes: you all know what I'm talking about.

My loved ones understand exactly why I do what I do, are never disapproving, would never say anything as inane as "please be careful," and they only occasionally roll their eyes - usually at my really bad jokes. So no, we do not all know what you're talking about. You have a right to your opinion, but everyone's situation is different, and if my loved ones ever tried to guilt me into changing my behavior to suit their own wants and needs - itself a truly selfish act - well, I would get new loved ones.

We all make choices, and compromises, in life. I choose selfish. My loved ones approve. They are selfish too, and I applaud them for it. Like someone mentioned earlier, some folks are just wired a little differently, with a strong drive to pursue their own happiness, a compassion, empathy, and approval for others who do the same, and a repulsion for those who get in the way.

Also, to keep things in perspective, we're talking about hiking. In Colorado. There are many, many more dangerous activities out there. I would put my own behaviors at the low end of the risk spectrum.
boudreaux
14er Checklist (57)
13er Checklist (111)

Postby boudreaux » Sat May 18, 2013 8:28 am

I hike solo a lot too, love the solitude! I always tell my wife with heavy sarcasm when she says to 'be careful' that I'm gonna go out and get hurt, why not, sounds fun, then kiss her goodbye! Always call from the summit, back at the car, etc. She encourages me to get out and do something, even though it is a solo hike. She knows what the benefits are, mentally and physically. Plus she loves my boring pictures! "There's me at the big rock at the summit", followed by glazed over eyes. I really love trying to explain to her how a topo map works. She just sees the lines.
Ragin Cajun
Tony1
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (1)
14ers in Winter (10)
13er Checklist (98)

Postby Tony1 » Sat May 18, 2013 11:44 am

susanjoypaul wrote:
Also, to keep things in perspective, we're talking about hiking. In Colorado. There are many, many more dangerous activities out there. I would put my own behaviors at the low end of the risk spectrum.

I agree with this. In the grand scheme of things, our mountains here are pretty tame, and so many have trails that go right to the top and back. It blows my mind when some people I know are like "A fourteener? Are you crazy?! By yourself? WHAT?!"

Yes, in most cases it's literally following a trail up a giant hill!
bob863
14er Checklist Not Entered

Postby bob863 » Sat May 18, 2013 8:23 pm

I agree with Tony1 (and a few others)......most of the 14ers are just a walk up a giant hill....I'm a former Airborne Ranger and most of the 14ers don't come close to be a "death-defying" experience (unless you don't have the experience/knowledge/skills/weather-understanding)....fortunately, I haven't had someone firing a weapon at me on a 14er...
ChrisRoberts
14er Checklist (12)
13er Checklist (10)

Postby ChrisRoberts » Sat May 18, 2013 10:49 pm

I go with a 50-50 split between solo and 1-2 partners. Can't say that I prefer one or the other, I've had great times alone and while with a partner, plus some less than great experiences with either.

As far as soloing, looking back 95% of mine are for peaks less than 10000 feet in moderately remote areas, and most involve a good bushwhack to get to the destination. I rarely turn on my GPS and some days forget to bring it along at all. Planning good routes, fine tuning your sense of direction and knowing your surroundings are more important than your GPS. Theres no guarantee that your partner can keep you from getting lost, so take that responsibility and build up your experience going places on mind power instead of battery power.

For those of you who dont like your partners, dont skip down the trail holding hands with them.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!

Return to “General Mountaineering Discussion”