Solo???

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
This forum is for general, mountaineering-related topics. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
climbingaggie03
14er Checklist (5)

Re: Solo???

Postby climbingaggie03 » Tue May 14, 2013 6:32 pm

I pretty much hike solo all the time. The only time I go with a partner is if I'm doing something that I need to rope up for. I think the only times I get nervous are if I'm in a sketchy avalanche area or loose exposed stuff but even then I don't think I'd have it any other way. I think the main reason I'm so comfortable with hiking solo is that I used to guide, which is like solo hiking only you have to keep other people safe and patch them up when they get hurt. So solo hiking is kind of easier since I only have to worry about myself.
tommyboy360
14er Checklist (58)

Postby tommyboy360 » Thu May 16, 2013 12:43 am

Last edited by tommyboy360 on Tue May 28, 2013 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
“It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”
tommyboy360
14er Checklist (58)

Postby tommyboy360 » Thu May 16, 2013 1:05 am

Last edited by tommyboy360 on Tue May 28, 2013 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
“It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”
Jim Davies
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (61)

Postby Jim Davies » Thu May 16, 2013 6:57 am

DenneyR wrote:Hey there folks......my intent for this thread was to discuss the enjoyment of hiking solo as opposed to the enjoyment of hiking with others. Both have their good and not-so-good points.....

I really wasn't looking for a debate on gadgets and the old worn out discussion of car vs mountain

We're just demonstrating why it's nice to get away from other people sometimes.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
susanjoypaul
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (87)

Postby susanjoypaul » Thu May 16, 2013 7:29 am

Jim Davies wrote:
DenneyR wrote:Hey there folks......my intent for this thread was to discuss the enjoyment of hiking solo as opposed to the enjoyment of hiking with others. Both have their good and not-so-good points.....

I really wasn't looking for a debate on gadgets and the old worn out discussion of car vs mountain

Yes, yes! In fact, we're disorganizing a Summer Solo Ungathering. Each of us is planning our own solo hike for June 21st, the first day of summer... we'll all hike alone, preferably to a summit. There will be no photos or trip reports, and afterwards we'll each go to our respective neighborhood bar, where we'll raise a glass to ourselves and our summit. It will be... tangerious :-D
Jesse M
14er Checklist (24)
13er Checklist (15)

Postby Jesse M » Thu May 16, 2013 7:39 am

susanjoypaul wrote:
Jim Davies wrote:

Yes, yes! In fact, we're disorganizing a Summer Solo Ungathering. Each of us is planning our own solo hike for June 21st, the first day of summer... we'll all hike alone, preferably to a summit. There will be no photos or trip reports, and afterwards we'll each go to our respective neighborhood bar, where we'll raise a glass to ourselves and our summit. It will be... tangerious :-D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I am in for this Summer Solo Ungathering, susanjoypaul.
XMULE
14er Checklist (7)

Postby XMULE » Thu May 16, 2013 8:38 am

In the spirit of Jimmy Buffet (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwsG3PyGvL0) if you don't see me hiking that's because I'm hiking (solo).
Se esmera, coracao
E confia
Na forca do amanha
susanjoypaul
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (87)

Postby susanjoypaul » Thu May 16, 2013 10:29 am

Jesse M wrote:
susanjoypaul wrote:Yes, yes! In fact, we're disorganizing a Summer Solo Ungathering. Each of us is planning our own solo hike for June 21st, the first day of summer... we'll all hike alone, preferably to a summit. There will be no photos or trip reports, and afterwards we'll each go to our respective neighborhood bar, where we'll raise a glass to ourselves and our summit. It will be... tangerious :-D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I am in for this Summer Solo Ungathering, susanjoypaul.

Very good, then. We would put you on the list, if there was one.

I nominate DenneyR as the Unofficial Misleader of this fine anti-Social Event, since he started the thread. It's going to be a spectacular outing for sure!

One caveat: No caveats. And no rules.

Solo on!
TravelingMatt
14er Checklist (56)
13er Checklist (355)

Postby TravelingMatt » Thu May 16, 2013 10:34 am

susanjoypaul wrote:Yes, yes! In fact, we're disorganizing a Summer Solo Ungathering. Each of us is planning our own solo hike for June 21st, the first day of summer...

That's also Nude Hiking Day. Although maybe you knew that.
AC 0000000
2 left ft
14er Checklist (34)
13er Checklist (21)

Postby 2 left ft » Fri May 17, 2013 8:53 am

Solo - my time with God.
God_
14er Checklist Not Entered

Postby God_ » Fri May 17, 2013 8:59 am

2 left ft wrote:Solo - my time with God.

About that...you're going to have to pick up the pace this summer, or I'm finding a new partner.
ak47
14er Checklist (44)
13er Checklist (13)

Postby ak47 » Fri May 17, 2013 11:05 am

First off, I have always loved hiking/ climbing/ biking/ skiing/ snowboarding/ backpacking solo. Helps boost confidence, go where you want to go, do what u want to do, etc. However, we should all understand that it's a selfish act and usually causes undue stress upon our families/ loved ones who don't understand why we wander into the woods for days on end in the first place. For their sake I now prefer to travel with a partner, which brings along its own set of liabilities and responsibilities, but my family sleeps better when I'm gone knowing my partner and I are both safer and better off having each other there in case anything happens. I'm not saying I don't solo on occassion, but dialing it back gets old, as does hearing your girlfriend disapprovingly say "please be careful" and roll her eyes: you all know what I'm talking about. I'm a risk taker but I want to keep at it until my legs crumble and knees explode. AK

Return to “General Mountaineering Discussion”