Best cell coverage around Avon, Vail, Gypsum, Bond

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
This forum is for general, mountaineering-related topics. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Two Headed Boy
14er Checklist (30)
13er Checklist (17)

Best cell coverage around Avon, Vail, Gypsum, Bond

Postby Two Headed Boy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:40 pm

I will be moving in a few days and I would love to hear from the people who know about the good cell phone carriers for the Eagle Valley area. I have Vaerio now and I don't think they get coverage up there. Thank you much, Jim.
BKS
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (5)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (7)

Re: Best cell coverage around Avon, Vail, Gypsum, Bond

Postby BKS » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:48 pm

For what this is worth:

I live in Frisco and drive to Vail or Edwards everyday for work. Several years ago, before moving to Colorado I switched to Verizon because the consensus on this forum was that Verizon had better overall coverage than AT&T for 14er pursuits. The guys I work with have AT&T and they say it has better coverage in the Vail Valley than Verizon. At the job sites I work at in Edwards, their service is much better than mine with Verizon. With Verizon I never lose service on I-70, however - just AT&T goes further off the interstate at least in this area. I think AT&T voice quality is better also.
d_baker
14er Checklist (57)
14ers in Winter (12)
13er Checklist (196)

Postby d_baker » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:38 pm

When I was living in Avon last year (edit: I mean in 2011) for ~6 months, I don't recall having too much if any trouble with Verizon in and around town, driving to Vail, or other places nearby.
Steve Knapp
14er Checklist (57)
13er Checklist (396)

Postby Steve Knapp » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:13 pm

I have Verizon and it works fine throughout the Vail Valley, Avon, etc. You'd be fine with ATT or VZW, probably not too much difference. In other mountain areas I think Verizon may have an edge, from what I've heard and read about. I'm not sure about Bond, you'd want to check that on both networks for sure since you'll be working there.
TallGrass
14er Checklist Not Entered
13er Checklist (16)

Postby TallGrass » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:42 pm

Best is to contact your cell provider and ask them what their coverage area is and what arrangements they have with other networks.
Most companies in North America use the CDMA network including Cricket, MetroPCS, Sprint, U.S. Cellular, and Verizon.
Most of Europe and other countries use the GSM including AT&T, T-Mobile and your beloved Viaero.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_wireless_communications_service_providers
BTW, you know you could have web-searched Viaero's Coverage Maps, right?

Think it was Sprint's CEO who couldn't make a call while skiing at Vail so got towers installed. I got five bars at Notch Mountain and Mt. Holy Cross. Hmm...
http://www.city-data.com/towers/cell-Vail-Colorado.html (The ski resorts Dan Aguilar might be the same who works for Sprint.)

Even though X carrier may own a tower, they often rent or share their network so their customers mutually have better service while they avoid duplicating towers. Thus, you're likely to be fine with any CDMA carrier, though you may or may not be hit with roaming fees. I can see a large carrier contract not having roaming even when on another's tower due to parity (equitable quid pro quo exchange) but smaller ones getting dinged to offset them bringing fewer towers to the table.

Various Networks' Coverage Maps (scroll down)
http://mobiledevices.about.com/od/carrierfaq/i/Cdma-Vs-Gsm-Which-Is-More-Preferable.htm
http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-the-difference-between-gsm-and-cdma.htm
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407896,00.asp
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
davebks
14er Checklist (10)

Postby davebks » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:22 am

I lived in Vail for many years and always had Sprint. It's not great in parts of Glenwood but awesome just about everywhere else. Sprint has a tower on top of Vail Mountain so that helps a TON.
The CEO has a house in the Valley so they have really boosted the signals around there.
Plus Sprint has the BEST customer service ever. Seriously.
Bean
14er Checklist (29)
14ers Skied (28)
14ers in Winter (8)
13er Checklist (7)

Postby Bean » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:32 am

davebks wrote:I lived in Vail for many years and always had Sprint. It's not great in parts of Glenwood but awesome just about everywhere else. Sprint has a tower on top of Vail Mountain so that helps a TON.
The CEO has a house in the Valley so they have really boosted the signals around there.
Plus Sprint has the BEST customer service ever. Seriously.

Sprint coverage is ok for voice but the data is absolutely abysmal. Slow when it's working with lots of random dropouts. I'm ditching Sprint ASAP even if it means having to buy out the end of my contract.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
ronhiner

Postby ronhiner » Tue May 26, 2015 9:21 am

If I recall correctly, Vail Daily reported that Verizon did a major infrastructure upgrade in advance of the 2015 Championships.

I'm in Edwards and travel all up and down the valley and have good coverage now with VZW.
MtnHigh

Postby MtnHigh » Tue May 26, 2015 9:45 am

AT&T also did an upgrade for the 2015's. Only place I see spotty service for all carriers is at the bottom of Metcalf Rd in Avon - calls drop due to signal loss. Dang those geographic interference's! Seriously, all carriers have spotty coverage if you get more than a few miles away from I-70. Only other spotty service location is in the Narrows on the West side of Vail Pass. I have AT&T and Verizon (personal & work cell phones). Verizon seems to take forever to load my voice messages.

But the coverage for both is fantastic all over Vail's Back Bowls!

Return to “General Mountaineering Discussion”