Order of Long v. Shorter Hike Days

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
This forum is for general, mountaineering-related topics. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
d_baker
14er Checklist (57)
14ers in Winter (12)
13er Checklist (196)

Re: Order of Long v. Shorter Hike Days

Postby d_baker » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:40 pm

Chicago Transplant wrote:Cotton Lake? She was asking about camping there in another thread :wink:

ahhh.....excellent, excellent! ;)

Chicago Transplant wrote:PS - keep your group size down, you will bring a smile to this trolls haggard twisted face :twisted:

hee-hee-ha-haa! What up, Chicago?
TravelingMatt
14er Checklist (56)
13er Checklist (355)

Postby TravelingMatt » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:36 pm

Yeah, 13 miles is well over what all the 14ers would be in one day from Chicago Basin.

My other guess was the Enchantments in the Cascades. Which are pretty tough permits to get, so no trolling unless you reregister as a girl or something.
AC 0000000
Kent McLemore
14er Checklist (8)
13er Checklist (5)

Postby Kent McLemore » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:47 pm

I'm guessing Music Pass to one of the Sand Creek Lakes, then linking Tijeras, Music, Milwaukee and maybe Pico Aislado.
d_baker
14er Checklist (57)
14ers in Winter (12)
13er Checklist (196)

Postby d_baker » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:59 pm

ozarkmac wrote:I'm guessing Music Pass to one of the Sand Creek Lakes, then linking Tijeras, Music, Milwaukee and maybe Pico Aislado.

Doesn't fit the class 2 ridge running that was mentioned in o.p.
jdorje
14er Checklist (11)
13er Checklist (22)

Postby jdorje » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:57 pm

Day 1: hike in Cotton Creek from 8500' to 10500'.
Day 2: Electric->De Anza->Marcy->13513 (is that even possible? if so, it might be class 2.)
Day 3: Owen et al.

2000' gain on the way in is inconsistent with any Sangre de Cristo lake camp on a western approach. Either it's east side, or it's a sub-lake camp site, or you're underestimating the hike in!
-Jason Dorje Short
Kent McLemore
14er Checklist (8)
13er Checklist (5)

Postby Kent McLemore » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:21 am

d_baker wrote:
ozarkmac wrote:I'm guessing Music Pass to one of the Sand Creek Lakes, then linking Tijeras, Music, Milwaukee and maybe Pico Aislado.

Doesn't fit the class 2 ridge running that was mentioned in o.p.

You're right. I'm pretty sure those peaks have all been linked via a ridge scramble, but the route would go Class 3.
-km
mtgirl
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (102)

Postby mtgirl » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:05 am

wildlobo71 wrote: Men, carry radios... channel 14/14 - be prepared. From having witnessed the Gurlz Hike last year, it was... exceptional.

Sorry to disappoint, but this won't be the annual organized Gurlz Hike. Just a few gals who enjoy long days and multiple summits of uncrowded 13ers. Beer sherpa still welcome. :)
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
d_baker
14er Checklist (57)
14ers in Winter (12)
13er Checklist (196)

Postby d_baker » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:28 am

mtgirl wrote:
d_baker wrote:
mtgirl wrote:Since this may turn into a "gurlz rule" kinda trip, might be fun to keep it a secret, Valerie. 8)

What?! She doesn't have to give dates....just more clues to location.

....we'll let you be our beer sherpa. :-"

mtgirl wrote:
wildlobo71 wrote: Men, carry radios... channel 14/14 - be prepared.

Sorry to disappoint, but this won't be the annual organized Gurlz Hike. Just a few gals who enjoy long days and multiple summits of uncrowded 13ers. Beer sherpa still welcome. :)

Sweet, I'm still invited! Sorry Wild Bill....this time you lose.
IHikeLikeAGirl
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (6)
13er Checklist (132)

Postby IHikeLikeAGirl » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:14 am

Wow, I stepped away from my computer yesterday and suddenly find myself on page 3! Thanks for the entertainment, brightened my morning! :-D

Definitely yes on the beer sherpa!

And yes, you're on the right track, it is Cotton Creek, and not camping at the lake.

Now the question is, which peaks, on which days, and in what order?

One item of note is, my shorter day is longer than I thought, 8.5-9 mi or thereabouts and may involve some class 3, I haven't researched it that well yet.

Longer day should stay at class 2 from what I've read.

Definitely keeping weather and bailout options (although, limited) a factor in my route planning. I've only just started looking at these routes so, my initial thoughts may be flawed....

And odds are: my longer day is probably going to just land me in my tent on the shorter day. While the rest of the group is heading out, I may be curled up in a sleeping bag, disillusioned, and clutching a bottle of wine....

Darned topos, always make me far too ambitious!
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright
mtgirl
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (102)

Postby mtgirl » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:39 am

IHikeLikeAGirl wrote: While the rest of the group is heading out, I may be curled up in a sleeping bag, disillusioned, and clutching a bottle of wine....

Looks like we need a beer/wine sherpa now. This may be more appealing to d_baker now, since he seems to be the cultured, fine wine kinda guy while the rest of us girls are classless beer drinkers. :iluvbeer:
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
IHikeLikeAGirl
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (6)
13er Checklist (132)

Postby IHikeLikeAGirl » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:12 am

mtgirl wrote:
IHikeLikeAGirl wrote: While the rest of the group is heading out, I may be curled up in a sleeping bag, disillusioned, and clutching a bottle of wine....

Looks like we need a beer/wine sherpa now. This may be more appealing to d_baker now, since he seems to be the cultured, fine wine kinda guy while the rest of us girls are classless beer drinkers. :iluvbeer:

I'm not much of a classless beer drinker...I fall more into the tawdry wine sipper, category. So, he may still not be interested in our company....

Or perhaps he could just find a campsite far from ours, after dropping off the fermented goods, of course!
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright
wildlobo71
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (6)
13er Checklist (40)

Postby wildlobo71 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:19 am

d_baker wrote:Sweet, I'm still invited! Sorry Wild Bill....this time you lose.

That's quite alright - I've hiked with many of them enough to know a day away from each other is also quite inviting! :P
You've never really stopped even if you feel like you have.

Return to “General Mountaineering Discussion”