Avalanche at Tunnel Creek

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
This forum is for general, mountaineering-related topics. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Kent McLemore
14er Checklist (8)
13er Checklist (5)

Avalanche at Tunnel Creek

Postby Kent McLemore » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:03 am

A very thorough and informative piece in NYT about last winter's avalanche in the Cascades that claimed the lives of three backcountry skiers.
http://www.nytimes.com/projects/2012/snow-fall/?smid=fb-share#/?part=tunnel-creek
chrismjx
14er Checklist (7)

Re: Avalanche at Tunnel Creek

Postby chrismjx » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:16 pm

Interesting, and a warning to all that even seasoned professionals can find themselves caught up in bad situations. I know a guy from high school who apparently knew one of the victims; he posted on his facebook about it. I don't think I will forward him this link, but I'm glad you shared it with the forums.
ketel1
14er Checklist (28)
13er Checklist (8)

Postby ketel1 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:04 pm

What an incredible read. I don't ski at all anymore, but this is still relevant reading for any of us that venture out in the snow. Thanks for posting.
Beth
"So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable." ~Christopher Reeve
SikYou
14er Checklist (24)
13er Checklist (5)

Postby SikYou » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:21 pm

I just read this article a couple of days ago; what an eye opening story. I think that the fact that this was such a prestigious group of people helps to really illustrate that tragedy can and does happen to anyone. And super props to the NY times for putting this article together, not only was it well written but the multimedia aspects really made the story come alive. Hopefully everyone learns a little something from this.
I'm slower than Scott P.
TallGrass
14er Checklist Not Entered
13er Checklist (16)

Postby TallGrass » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:07 am

Too bad not Firefox compatible.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
Indigomountain
14er Checklist (2)

Postby Indigomountain » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:30 am

Awesome and I too loved the multimedia. However, I read it in Firefox. Maybe try updating your version.
RoanMtnMan
14er Checklist (45)

Postby RoanMtnMan » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:49 am

That really was a well done article. When I saw it a few days ago I was skeptical given that NYT isn't exactly expert when it comes to the outdoors. I was pleasantly surprised though. The multimedia is really cool.

It is a well known fact that more "experts" get caught in slide incidents than novices. Mainly because there are more experts out there more often. If you are out there 1 day a year and you get caught, that is some bad luck. If you are out there 150 days a year, you are gonna be involved in a slide at some point. You would be hard pressed to find a backcountry skier that has 500 days under their belt and hasn't been involved in some sort of slide incident. It's like finding a river guide that hasn't flipped their raft or a professional rock climber that hasn't taken a huge whipper.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com
speth
14er Checklist (49)
14ers in Winter (4)
13er Checklist (20)

Postby speth » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:15 am

Excellent, this is a prime example of what long form journalism should be. The graphics, maps and models were a great addition for setting the scene.
I'll be damned if I feel like I will ever know anything, but if we don't keep moving on that last hill, we'll never know what's on the other side.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The rain and thunder, the wind and haze are bound for better days. My life, my dream. Nothin's gonna stop me now.
[-X What are you insinuating? Do you think I'm Ranger? =; Because if you do than you are dead wrong.
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
rage-quit mountaineer wrote:I give up. Bill, just delete my account.
MountainHiker
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (104)

Postby MountainHiker » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:11 pm

That was a hard read. It was especially emotional hearing the call to Ski Patrol. On this Christmas I’m thinking about those are no longer with us. Now we’re starting to get some snow. Please stay safe everyone.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
pills2619
14er Checklist (13)

Postby pills2619 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:22 pm

Wow... that was a very hard read but that was also a very beautifully written article. A person is only what people remember them as and this is as grand a story as I imagine the people who lost their lives to be. Be safe out there and remember the only thing better than skiing today it living to ski tomorrow.
They forget that some crisis is necessary to hone skill. "Near misses," those brief encounters with the reality of mortality, are great learning tools if properly approached. -Denali Climbers Guidebook
speth
14er Checklist (49)
14ers in Winter (4)
13er Checklist (20)

Postby speth » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:16 pm

I'm not trying to stir the pot, one because I'm not a skier, and two because I'm not really a Monday morning quarterback, but what is the consensus on airbags for backcountry skiing?

My impression is that they give a false sense of security and they open up terrain for people who aren't sure of themselves, but maybe I'm looking at it from a "novice skier" perspective? Do they actually work, or is it really a last-ditch-effort piece of equipment? The girl from the story is obviously not a beginner, but she has one... Should this be a standard piece of safety equipment in avalanche terrain?
I'll be damned if I feel like I will ever know anything, but if we don't keep moving on that last hill, we'll never know what's on the other side.
The rain and thunder, the wind and haze are bound for better days. My life, my dream. Nothin's gonna stop me now.
[-X What are you insinuating? Do you think I'm Ranger? =; Because if you do than you are dead wrong.
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
rage-quit mountaineer wrote:I give up. Bill, just delete my account.
EatinHardtack
14er Checklist (42)
14ers Skied (18)
14ers in Winter (3)
13er Checklist (72)

Postby EatinHardtack » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:33 pm

speth wrote:I'm not trying to stir the pot, one because I'm not a skier, and two because I'm not really a Monday morning quarterback, but what is the consensus on airbags for backcountry skiing?

My impression is that they give a false sense of security and they open up terrain for people who aren't sure of themselves, but maybe I'm looking at it from a "novice skier" perspective? Do they actually work, or is it really a last-ditch-effort piece of equipment? The girl from the story is obviously not a beginner, but she has one... Should this be a standard piece of safety equipment in avalanche terrain?

I've heard from snow scientists and avalanche experts that like them for their intended purpose. Are they a full proof rescue device, no, but they are meant to be used along with other rescue devices to increase survival (beacon, probe, shovel, avalung, education). The Euro's like them, and they are quite common over there. The airbag is designed for granular physics as you will float to the top the larger 'you' are. I think they can give false security to many who do not respect avalanches and what they can do. I know others will chime in on this as well. I personally do not own one, but anything that can increase your chance of living is worth it in my book. With that a healthy respect and knowledge also goes along way.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Return to “General Mountaineering Discussion”