Thruhike of the 14ers

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
This forum is for general, mountaineering-related topics. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Klinger1986
14er Checklist (2)

Re: Thruhike of the 14ers

Postby Klinger1986 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:15 pm

So, did they gain special permission to summit Bross, or are they just going for it? I know Bross is a very sensitive subject, and I don't want to start an ethical debate, I'm just curious.
Last edited by Klinger1986 on Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.” -Dr. Seuss
painless4u2
14er Checklist (58)

Postby painless4u2 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:32 pm

Bross is a very sensitive subject

Oh wait, lemme get my popcorn...
In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9

Bad decisions often make good stories.

"I mean, what could go wrong?" - Brett Maune

Justthefactsman. Your new moniker.
Dark Helmet
14er Checklist (1)

Postby Dark Helmet » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:09 am

oh man... I wish we were going to be in RMNP a week later, I'll be in the vicinity of Longs the 17th-20th and would love to finish with them!
jdorje
14er Checklist (11)
13er Checklist (22)

Postby jdorje » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:30 pm

Friday - Massive
Saturday - Elbert
Sunday - La Plata

coming off La Plata, they appear to have camped high on Huron. Today they've done Huron, Missouri, Belford, and Oxford. A good day.

As for Bross, I assume they will go to the "public summit" and alternate standing on each other's shoulders to exceed the Bross high point.
-Jason Dorje Short
Wilderness_hike
14er Checklist (20)

Postby Wilderness_hike » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:49 pm

jdorje wrote:As for Bross, I assume they will go to the "public summit" and alternate standing on each other's shoulders to exceed the Bross high point.

:lol:
Jim Davies
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (61)

Postby Jim Davies » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:08 pm

Harvard and Columbia today. 40/58 in the bag. Looking good!
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
jdorje
14er Checklist (11)
13er Checklist (22)

Postby jdorje » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:58 pm

Wednesday - Yale
Thursday - Princeton
Friday - Antero

Looks like Tabeguache and Shavano tomorrow - will have them completing the Nolans 14 route in 9 days (about 200 hours).
-Jason Dorje Short
BlueKhan
14er Checklist (27)

Postby BlueKhan » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:10 pm

jdorje wrote:Wednesday - Yale
Thursday - Princeton
Friday - Antero

Looks like Tabeguache and Shavano tomorrow - will have them completing the Nolans 14 route in 9 days (about 200 hours).

Crazy impressive after what they've done! They're monsters. I can't even imagine...
Jim Davies
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (61)

Postby Jim Davies » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:22 am

Tab and Shav this morning at 6:00 and 8:12. Time for the long slog over to Pikes Peak, I guess.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
Klinger1986
14er Checklist (2)

Postby Klinger1986 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:09 pm

How long do you think it will take them to reach Pikes Peak? 4 Days?
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.” -Dr. Seuss
jdorje
14er Checklist (11)
13er Checklist (22)

Postby jdorje » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:13 pm

Just looking at the KML file (http://14ersthruhike.com/the-route/), I'm guessing they got at or near Poncha today (1/2 day), over the far southern end of the Mosquitoes tomorrow, across South Park on Monday (hopefully without dying of exposure on that section), and do Pikes on Tuesday. It's about half the length of what they did from Challenger to San Luis, which took ~4.5 days as I recall. From what I hear they are more or less in beast mode now, as their metabolism has changed to account for however many thousands of calories they are burning each day and it's unlikely they will hit any sort of wall from here on.

...of course then they have to reverse most of that route to get to Sherman. Not the most exciting week of the route, for sure. In fact most of what they have left is "easy", even compared to the Sawatch route:
* From Shavano down to Blank Gulch (~11am today), across the valley to Salida (Sun), through the mountains to Guffey (Mon), and up the SW side of Pikes(Tue).
* Down the NW side of Pikes, through the mountains to Florissant, through more mountains to 11 mile lake(Wed), past that other reservoir, through Hartsel and up to Fairplay(Thu).

It is likely they take at least one rest day in there, in one of the cities.

* From Fairplay straight up to Sherman, back down to South Park and north to Kite Lake.
* Bross, Lincoln, Cameron, Democrat, down to the NNE to whatever lake that is.
* Across a ridgeline to Blue Lake, up Quandary from the E or SE.
* Drink some whiskey, unless someone stole it.
* Down Quandry to the west.

The west ridge descent of Quandry may be the hardest remaining section, and if anyone's planing to descend that area on that day to accompany them it would probably be rewarding.

* Straight across the Arkansas Valley and up Holy Cross, by some route that doesn't make any sense on the map. At all.
* Down HC to the north, straight across 24, and over the mountains to 6, across more mountains to Dillon, then along 70.
* Up to Longs for the finisher.
-Jason Dorje Short
KentonB
14er Checklist (52)
13er Checklist (27)

Postby KentonB » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:15 am

I guess my biggest concern all along is that they're finishing on Longs Peak... Depending on how late in the season they get there, and how soon it snows, that could be a difficult climb. I understand there's already been a few days of snow/ice on the route this season. Are they bringing technical and/or winter gear along for this one just in case it turns into a technical climb?

Return to “General Mountaineering Discussion”