Where is the SNOW!!!

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
This forum is for general, mountaineering-related topics. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jim Davies
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (61)

Re: Where is the SNOW!!!

Postby Jim Davies » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:09 pm

As Joel Gratz likes to say, "It's all about the orographics". Storms dump their moisture when they hit mountains and get pushed upwards. If the storm is coming from the southwest, it has to get through the San Juans and Sawatch range before getting to Summit County, so the moisture is depleted. Upslope storms (winds from the east) favor the Front Range, winds from the northwest favor Summit, and so on. Today's storm came from the southwest or west-southwest. It looks like the next pulse will be more northwesterly, so Vail and those guys might do better.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (46)
14ers in Winter (21)
13er Checklist (161)

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:06 pm

That reported 8" at Vail today turned out to be pretty sweet, with plenty of powder turns all day in the back bowls.

Granted, my expectations have been low lately.
RoanMtnMan
14er Checklist (45)

Postby RoanMtnMan » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:52 pm

Jim Davies wrote:As Joel Gratz likes to say, "It's all about the orographics". Storms dump their moisture when they hit mountains and get pushed upwards. If the storm is coming from the southwest, it has to get through the San Juans and Sawatch range before getting to Summit County, so the moisture is depleted. Upslope storms (winds from the east) favor the Front Range, winds from the northwest favor Summit, and so on. Today's storm came from the southwest or west-southwest. It looks like the next pulse will be more northwesterly, so Vail and those guys might do better.

And.....that post saves me some typing. Well articulated.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com
SolarAlex
14er Checklist (35)
14ers Skied (11)
14ers in Winter (4)
13er Checklist (75)

Postby SolarAlex » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:11 pm

Jim Davies wrote:As Joel Gratz likes to say, "It's all about the orographics". Storms dump their moisture when they hit mountains and get pushed upwards. If the storm is coming from the southwest, it has to get through the San Juans and Sawatch range before getting to Summit County, so the moisture is depleted. Upslope storms (winds from the east) favor the Front Range, winds from the northwest favor Summit, and so on. Today's storm came from the southwest or west-southwest. It looks like the next pulse will be more northwesterly, so Vail and those guys might do better.

thanks Jim for explaining that to me... i never really understood "orographic" before ..that actually makes a lot of sense! some NW winds then would be nice, im getting tired of spending all my money on gas driving to wolf creek.
Vincit Qui Patitur
Scott P
14er Checklist (46)
14ers in Winter (16)
13er Checklist (30)

Postby Scott P » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:17 pm

The parking lot at Alta today:

I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
EatinHardtack
14er Checklist (42)
14ers Skied (18)
14ers in Winter (3)
13er Checklist (72)

Postby EatinHardtack » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:04 pm

^^^ very nice Scott P, very nice.
Mark A Steiner
14er Checklist (3)
13er Checklist (11)

Postby Mark A Steiner » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:36 pm

Well, it is at least a temporary improvement over what has prevailed most of the winter. Would like to see this pattern prevail for a strong winter finish and continue into spring. A few posts here have put a damper on this hope somewhat, suggesting that warm and dry conditions are more likely till at least May 1.

Arizona fared well depending on location. Northern Maricopa County (New River to Cave Creek) locally recorded up to 3.4" liquid. The Snow Bowl NW of Flagstaff received at least 33" snow - two events badly needed in this parched state.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
PaliKona
14er Checklist (20)
13er Checklist (17)

Postby PaliKona » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:14 pm

Super fun day at Vail today..my best pow day in 2 years. First tracks down Iron Mask were sweet!
SKIBREC
14er Checklist (12)

Postby SKIBREC » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:54 pm

beaver creek tomorrow................
Mike & Gail

There's no such thing as bad weather... just the wrong gear
ajkagy
14er Checklist Not Entered

Postby ajkagy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:44 pm

SolarAlex wrote:summit county somehow only gets an inch or 2 when locations north, south and west all report 1-2 feet. how does that even happen?

it's no secret that summit sucks for snow...that always happens.
George James
14er Checklist Not Entered

Postby George James » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:20 pm

Scott P wrote:The parking lot at Alta today:

Alta was so good today. Skied like this all day long:
Alta.jpg
Alta.jpg (165.17 KiB) Viewed 795 times

You in LCC Scott? Headed for Alta again tomorrow...probably not gonna make first chair since we're interlodged til about 8:30 \:D/
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund
PaliKona
14er Checklist (20)
13er Checklist (17)

Postby PaliKona » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:32 am

ajkagy wrote:
SolarAlex wrote:summit county somehow only gets an inch or 2 when locations north, south and west all report 1-2 feet. how does that even happen?

it's no secret that summit sucks for snow...that always happens.

It sucks for snow the past two years, but in 5 of the 7 years I've been in CO, it's been pretty damn good, especially in the bowls at Breck, Copper and ABasin/Loveland.

It is just amazing though, that there is clearly a "donut" this year. I too noticed the snow stopped exactly at the Frisco Main St exit and then picked up again at Loveland ](*,)

Return to “General Mountaineering Discussion”