Where is the SNOW!!!

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
This forum is for general, mountaineering-related topics. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
RoanMtnMan
14er Checklist (45)

Re: Where is the SNOW!!!

Postby RoanMtnMan » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:20 pm

Snow would make that shot better for me, but wow that is a great photo! Thanks for sharing. I need a plane.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com
geojed
14er Checklist (50)
14ers in Winter (7)
13er Checklist (96)

Postby geojed » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:23 pm

PaliKona wrote:Flying over the Sawatch yesterday evening...beautiful but no snow! ](*,)

That's definitely a unique view of the Apostles! Gorgeous!
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain
dsunwall
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (58)
13er Checklist (400)

Postby dsunwall » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:32 pm

RoanMtnMan wrote:P.S. I am a ski lover, but I can't think of a better scenario than the current for all of you winter baggers, go get after it.

I am one those winter baggers but I dislike the negative of bagging a winter peak with no snow. One of the reason's I enjoy winter 14ers so much is the pure white alpine environment looking so unspoiled and pristine. However one advantage of being a non-skier (although I do ski on occasion) is being able to do my thing in bad/no snow conditions, I still enjoy being up there and getting the workout. I think I will simply switch to the 14er grid where nobody cares much if it's done under the same conditions as the pioneers. Nobody has completed the grid and nobody will.

Carry on, maybe Bill can add a brown snowflake.
Bean
14er Checklist (29)
14ers Skied (28)
14ers in Winter (8)
13er Checklist (7)

Postby Bean » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:13 pm

gratzo wrote:The storm track is undergoing a transition over the next 2 weeks, so we'll see how that works out.

Sure it is.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
moneymike
14er Checklist (57)
14ers Skied (57)
14ers in Winter (9)

Postby moneymike » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:28 pm

PaliKona wrote:Flying over the Sawatch yesterday evening...beautiful but no snow! ](*,)

Wow! That's the best beta shot ever. If you keep those photos coming this ski season, you will have to change your name to "snow beta god"
"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOInUJEPjOKFCC_7N968Dxw/videos

@the_real_moneymike on Instagram
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14er Checklist Not Entered

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:33 pm

dsunwall wrote:Carry on, maybe Bill can add a brown snowflake.

Oh, hell no! I'd never hear the end of that.
Mark A Steiner
14er Checklist (3)
13er Checklist (11)

Postby Mark A Steiner » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:49 pm

gratzo wrote:Storm on Monday, 2-4 inches at worst, maybe double digits if everything hits perfectly. Biggest totals central & northern mountains. After that, not sure. Storm track looks to stay north, but the west-coast trough might transition to a central or east coast trough. Neither is necessarily good or bad for Colorado, but likely better than what we've seen. The storm track is undergoing a transition over the next 2 weeks, so we'll see how that works out. At least there's hope!

JOEL

I really hope so. I saw some maps this morning showing a major storm making landfall in the Bay area tomorrow, I believe. Also the area north of Fresno and along the coast should get hit pretty good, but then, the same blocking southwest high will force residual moisture away from the the Great Basin, Colorado Plateau and of course our beloved Rockies. This high must weaken before we will see much impact here.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
PaliKona
14er Checklist (20)
13er Checklist (17)

Postby PaliKona » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:14 pm

It could be worse...this is flying into Burbank north of LA...soooo brown and smoggy!
Attachments
Picture 032.jpg
Picture 032.jpg (108.93 KiB) Viewed 621 times
Bean
14er Checklist (29)
14ers Skied (28)
14ers in Winter (8)
13er Checklist (7)

Postby Bean » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:55 pm

PaliKona wrote:It could be worse...this is flying into Burbank north of LA...soooo brown and smoggy!

Denver didn't look much better today.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
mountaingoat-G
14er Checklist (22)
14ers Skied (3)
13er Checklist (14)

Postby mountaingoat-G » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:40 am

This is no BS.
http://climatechange.worldbank.org/sites/default/files/Turn_Down_the_heat_Why_a_4_degree_centrigrade_warmer_world_must_be_avoided.pdf

You can relay on cute icons or smart-ass graphs, but the reality is going to suck.
adkinsadam1
14er Checklist (7)

Postby adkinsadam1 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:57 am

It looks like the chance for any real snow anywhere in the state for the next week is basically gone. The mountains maybe get 3inches but that is the maximum. Looks like continued dry for a while!

Return to “General Mountaineering Discussion”