Rappelling Long's Diamond

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
This forum is for general, mountaineering-related topics. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
User avatar
taylorzs
Posts: 274
Joined: 10/25/2008
14er Checklist (57)
14ers Skied (35)
14ers in Winter (3)
13er Checklist (95)
Contact:

Re: Rappelling Long's Diamond

Postby taylorzs » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:22 am

Hey JDip, I think you have a great idea going. In fact I would like to join, :-D but on one condition. I am going to bring my snowboard along and rapel with my snowboard attached to my feet. Maybe I can make some turns along the way and that way I can claim the first snowboard descent of the diamond. BTW, if we do it at night no one will be around to say anything about us using a bolt gun on the diamond. I have some 60 meter twins we could use for the rapel. In fact we would probably only need one of the twins since no dynamic load would be applied and the rapel will be easier for those following our lead in the future if we put bolts in every 25 meters or so anyway. I am not good enough to climb the diamond so I figure this is a good way to experience it. What do you think? :lol: Anyone else want to join?
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." Edward Abbey
...

http://www.zachtaylorsnowboarding.com
http://www.14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com
User avatar
jdorje
Posts: 1483
Joined: 6/16/2010
14er Checklist (11)
13er Checklist (22)

Re: Rappelling Long's Diamond

Postby jdorje » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:50 am

taylorzs wrote:I am going to bring my snowboard along and rapel with my snowboard attached to my feet.


I would like to join for this. It'll be the crowning element of my new book "Snowboard and Ski Rappels of Colorado" which will be out next spring.
-Jason Dorje Short
User avatar
JDip
Posts: 127
Joined: 2/14/2011
14er Checklist (13)
13er Checklist (7)

Re: Rappelling Long's Diamond

Postby JDip » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:06 am

Alright, alright, hold your f***ing horses there buddy. This is out of hand. I scrambled up the peak. I figured the exit route was the same as the entry route. A speedy descent by rappel is brought up. The diamond is brought up. The achor is searched for. The anchor is not found. We exit safely. I get home. I do some research. I turn the 14ers.com for advice. I play it cool, not out to "troll" and cause a ruckus. Just trying to get some sound advice. Which I found. Thank you folks for real.

And then this:

Randy wrote: ...Ive noticed certain mountains or faces seem to attract oddball climbers and stunts, such as the topic of this thread. In turn theses mountains and faces, seem to midigate the intrusion, by killing said oddball.


So you and your chalked up hands jamming gear inside her cracks aren't intruding? Did you at least wine and dine the mountain before sticking it inside of her? You call me an oddball, but most people ON THIS SITE are hiking these mountains only to check them off the list, usually hauling ass down the trail, tearing it up, all because they want to get down to the car already. Pft whatever dude, I at least enjoy my descents and would like to get creative with it. If that makes me an oddball, then your following in the footsteps of retards.
I want to know the thoughts of God. All the rest are details. -Albert Einstein

It's not the height of the mountain that makes it great, it is the mountain itself. -J.D.
User avatar
jdorje
Posts: 1483
Joined: 6/16/2010
14er Checklist (11)
13er Checklist (22)

Re: Rappelling Long's Diamond

Postby jdorje » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:23 am

JDip wrote:You call me an oddball, but most people ON THIS SITE are hiking these mountains only to check them off the list, usually hauling ass down the trail, tearing it up, all because they want to get down to the car already. Pft whatever dude, I at least enjoy my descents and would like to get creative with it. If that makes me an oddball, then your following in the footsteps of retards.


Well, I'm no expert, but every single person who is one has given the same response: don't rap the diamond. The thread continues nonetheless because you keep fishing for a different answer and because people like me keep making jokes.

As a non-expert, I'm still extremely unclear on why you would want to do this. Typically if I take a class 3 route up a mountain I'm happy to take an easier class 2 route down it. Does the same logic not apply at higher difficulties? Wouldn't it be both safer and more fun to take the 5.10 up the mountain and the class 3 route down it?
-Jason Dorje Short
User avatar
Brian C
Posts: 1234
Joined: 2/26/2008
14er Checklist (45)
14ers in Winter (5)
13er Checklist (19)
Contact:

Re: Rappelling Long's Diamond

Postby Brian C » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:35 am

JDip wrote:...A speedy descent by rappel is brought up....


I would go out on a limb and bet that a competent party could go down, then back up and back down the North Face before you'd be down to Broadway. Descents that big are slow and tedious with finding the anchors, pulling ropes and waiting for your partner to rap while hanging at uncomfortable anchors. If you want to do this for "fun" that's one thing, but I wouldn't count on it being faster at all.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
User avatar
cheeseburglar
Posts: 2734
Joined: 8/7/2006
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (73)

Re: Rappelling Long's Diamond

Postby cheeseburglar » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:51 am

jdorje wrote:
taylorzs wrote:I am going to bring my snowboard along and rapel with my snowboard attached to my feet.


I would like to join for this. It'll be the crowning element of my new book "Snowboard and Ski Rappels of Colorado" which will be out next spring.


I'll use my freeheel setup. All we need is someone on gayblades to make the trifecta.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes
User avatar
taylorzs
Posts: 274
Joined: 10/25/2008
14er Checklist (57)
14ers Skied (35)
14ers in Winter (3)
13er Checklist (95)
Contact:

Re: Rappelling Long's Diamond

Postby taylorzs » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:02 am

cheeseburglar wrote:
jdorje wrote:
taylorzs wrote:I am going to bring my snowboard along and rapel with my snowboard attached to my feet.


I would like to join for this. It'll be the crowning element of my new book "Snowboard and Ski Rappels of Colorado" which will be out next spring.


I'll use my freeheel setup. All we need is someone on gayblades to make the trifecta.


:lol: Craig I knew I could count on you for this one.
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." Edward Abbey
...

http://www.zachtaylorsnowboarding.com
http://www.14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com
User avatar
JDip
Posts: 127
Joined: 2/14/2011
14er Checklist (13)
13er Checklist (7)

Re: Rappelling Long's Diamond

Postby JDip » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:06 am

Hey the jokes are funny, and I don't think I'm fishing for any other answer. I just respond to what other people are saying.

I'm not stupid, nor do I have a death wish, but neither do I have my tail tucked in between my legs.
Don't worry. I'm NOT going to rappel the diamond from the summit. I'm working up to the casual climb as we speak. I'm gonna climb the wall then see about rappelling the wall. I thought I established this.

I did post something that I later edited, because it turned this thread into some people's toilet seat. I sure as hell didn't come off as a mean person for people to get ballsy and sarcastic with me. I'm not here to upset people, but I won't allow myself to be called an luny that will get wiped out by the mountain. Cause buddy, me and mountains are tight son. We're tight. LOL

Brian C, your right dude...the North face is the fasted rappel down than the diamond...and I bet it's even more fun too cause it's not as scary.

jdorje, as a non-expert, you offer sensible advice.

...But Whatever I'm letting this thread get pushed to the back already, I got what I came for.
Last edited by JDip on Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
I want to know the thoughts of God. All the rest are details. -Albert Einstein

It's not the height of the mountain that makes it great, it is the mountain itself. -J.D.
User avatar
mike_kadow
Posts: 242
Joined: 2/14/2009
14er Checklist (24)
13er Checklist (2)

Re: Rappelling Long's Diamond

Postby mike_kadow » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:09 am

Maybe with long enough ropes, we'll see this on the Diamond someday... :wink:

Last edited by mike_kadow on Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
taylorzs
Posts: 274
Joined: 10/25/2008
14er Checklist (57)
14ers Skied (35)
14ers in Winter (3)
13er Checklist (95)
Contact:

Re: Rappelling Long's Diamond

Postby taylorzs » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:11 am

Hey Im not mocking you JDip, lets do it! PM me and we will figure out a date, maybe tomorrow? I think weather is going to be good. What do you say? I will bring the beer and Craig will bring the tequilla and together we will make history. You do not have to be good enough to climb the diamond to rappel it. A bolt gun and some guts is all we need. The rest is just silly talk.
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." Edward Abbey
...

http://www.zachtaylorsnowboarding.com
http://www.14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com
User avatar
ajkagy
Posts: 2661
Joined: 1/7/2007
14er Checklist Not Entered
Contact:

Re: Rappelling Long's Diamond

Postby ajkagy » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:21 am

JDip wrote:You call me an oddball, but most people ON THIS SITE are hiking these mountains only to check them off the list, usually hauling ass down the trail, tearing it up, all because they want to get down to the car already.


hence why 95% of the comments on said internet forum won't be constructive to your endeavor at all and mostly full of criticism. As long as you aren't violating any laws/policies of NPS (littering/defacement, ect) or putting others in harms way I don't see any problem with it. There are plenty of "elitists" and people that will discourage you along the way just because you want to do something out of the norm. If you're really serious about doing it, I would suggest hooking up with some people at the BRC (boulder rock club) or the colorado mountain school. I used to climb at the BRC for years and there are plenty of really good people that would help you and show you the way. There are also lots of really strong climbers in rocky mountain rescue group out of boulder that climb in the park a lot that could help you. Definitely go with someone who knows the routes/anchors. Good luck.
User avatar
JDip
Posts: 127
Joined: 2/14/2011
14er Checklist (13)
13er Checklist (7)

Re: Rappelling Long's Diamond

Postby JDip » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:23 am

I'm good bro, thanks though.

If you decide to snowboard the diamond though, please let me know. I would like to be there for such a feat.

Cheers

J.D
I want to know the thoughts of God. All the rest are details. -Albert Einstein

It's not the height of the mountain that makes it great, it is the mountain itself. -J.D.

Return to “General Mountaineering Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Wildernessjane and 8 guests