It's going to get cold

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
This forum is for general, mountaineering-related topics. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14er Checklist (46)
14ers in Winter (16)
13er Checklist (30)

It's going to get cold

Postby Scott P » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:15 am

Check out the Massive forecast for this weekend:

17F predicted here in Craig.

I was enjoying the nice indian summer last weekend, now I guess it's time to enjoy the cold.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
BenfromtheEast
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (7)
14ers in Winter (15)
13er Checklist (25)

Re: It's going to get cold

Postby BenfromtheEast » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:22 am

That is a massive forecast. :-D

Can anyone comment on what's going on to give predicted low-high-low-high temps that are basically the same starting tonight? Surely they'll fluctuate more than a couple degrees between night and day, right?
Scott P
14er Checklist (46)
14ers in Winter (16)
13er Checklist (30)

Postby Scott P » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:51 am

Can anyone comment on what's going on to give predicted low-high-low-high temps that are basically the same starting tonight? Surely they'll fluctuate more than a couple degrees between night and day, right?

Maybe, but possibly not. Although differences between day and night are typically not as small as indicated in the forecast, mountain tops actually typically do have the smallest annual and night to day ranges of any other location in Colorado. Mountain basins that are affected by cold air pooling typically have the greatest range.

Compare the stats of Pikes Peak with that of Fraser, for example:

http://www.summitpost.org/pikes-peak-weather-statistics/337874

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?co3113

Because of constant wind and air drainage, ambient air temperatures on mountain tops have comparatively small temperature ranges between day and night. However, the changes in wind speed, cloud cover, etc. can make even small differences seem incredibly large, and can change in seconds. It’s easy to roast one minute and freeze the next, especially if you have been sweating. Like everywhere in Colorado, day to day weather changes can be huge as well.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
BenfromtheEast
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (7)
14ers in Winter (15)
13er Checklist (25)

Postby BenfromtheEast » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:33 am

Good point, Scott. Thanks. I saw something similar a couple months ago and assumed it was an erroneous forecast. But maybe it was legit.

Return to “General Mountaineering Discussion”