im stupid please help! Trouble posting pictures

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
This forum is for general, mountaineering-related topics. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ihaveagps
14er Checklist Not Entered

im stupid please help! Trouble posting pictures

Postby ihaveagps » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:22 pm

Im sorry to post here but ive been searching for 20 min looking for how to post a picture..... im assuming "img"
is the picture link but when I click on it it just types something like img / img wtf??? Im computer/forum illiterate please help.

Cheers and Happy Friday!
Ihaveagps
Bill Cummings
14er Checklist (31)

Re: im stupid please help! Trouble posting pictures

Postby Bill Cummings » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:36 pm

Yeah, I had trouble with this, too. I think the best way is to load the photo to your "Profile" page, scroll down to the bottom. There is an "Add Photo(s)" link there. You'll have to do a little bit of work on the screen it gives you, but it's pretty straightforward. Adding the photo will create a URL for you that you can insert in your forum reply.

If you already have a link (URL) for this particular photo, you can skip this step and just insert the URL that links to your photo.

Hope this helps!
Bill "Blind Willie" Cummings

"God loves you just the way you are. But He loves you way too much to let you stay that way." --"Junebug"
"You can't argue with the truth when it comes up and bites you on the buttocks." --Peter Lang
2giqs
14er Checklist (58)
13er Checklist (31)

Postby 2giqs » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:06 pm

i click on the blue Upload Attachment tab and work from there.
Kiefer
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (37)
13er Checklist (215)

Postby Kiefer » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:09 pm

Are you trying to post a photo to the forum boards? I'm assuming yes, so....

A picture needs opening and closing tags with the Img designation.
If you insert the URL tags, your picture won't work as that tag is specific for http(s) (websites).

So. Using the Img tag...say I want to make this image visible:

The code that you would enter: is first, the opening and closing Img tags, than the actual web address of the picture as it's found on the Internet.

[img.]http://www.sesamestreet.org/cms_services/services?action=download&uid=92a8bffb-31e4-11dd-a782-335275be4d09[/img]

By the way, you need the tags exact. You can see by adding a character as trifle as a period to the opening tag, the picture doesn't work.
I usually just hit the Img icon (button) above first, than copy & paste the pictures address in between both tags.
Hope that helps.
ihaveagps

Postby ihaveagps » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:14 pm

Got it! Thanks for the quick responce guys!

Cheers!
ihaveagps
Waggs
14er Checklist (26)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (2)

Postby Waggs » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:14 pm

Follow the red buttons below...

14erpic.jpg
14erpic.jpg (67.57 KiB) Viewed 509 times

14erpic1.jpg
14erpic1.jpg (59.87 KiB) Viewed 509 times

Waggs
Gloves are optional. Mittens mandatory - S. Gladbach
Kiefer
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (37)
13er Checklist (215)

Postby Kiefer » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:59 pm

Nice tips there, Waggs.
I've always wondered, how do you do screeen captures like that?
I'm still teaching myself the finer points of html. #-o
rking007
14er Checklist (13)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (10)

Postby rking007 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:13 pm

I just want to chime in and say that your new new avatar pic seriously threw me off Kiefer. My first thought was, 'woa!', IMMEDIATELY followed by 'Oh wait...AAAHHHHH!'.

Also, cookie monster is cool.

At any rate, is there aa dedicated thread in the newbie section or some other appropriate place that goes through some basic tech type skillz? I know I had a problem with imbedding video and it seems like we all have some sort of simple issue like this that could be remedied by something like that. Just a suggestion.
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.
kaiman

Postby kaiman » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:20 pm

Screen captures are actually pretty easy on Windows and Mac using shortcuts. Check out the tutorial here: http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/making-fast-screen-captures-in-windows-and-mac/
Waggs
14er Checklist (26)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (2)

Postby Waggs » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:38 am

Kiefer wrote:Nice tips there, Waggs.

Kaiman's link above does a good job of describing what I did. I did use "Printscreen" to capture and then pasted into IRFanView to save. I don't know that Windows 7 has the "snipping" tool, but I use IRFanView for quick pic edits. In the case of the screen shots above, I had to resize them to 800x600 so that they could be uploaded.

Waggs
Gloves are optional. Mittens mandatory - S. Gladbach
Vinegaroon
14er Checklist (34)

Postby Vinegaroon » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:29 am

I think the best way is the using the image tags, and leaving the image elsewhere on the internet and just linking to it in this manner. When you upload a file using the buttons, it appears there is often a file size limit, so any medium to large sized photo cannot be displayed that way... Just my 2 cents...
It doesn't have to be fun to be fun...
Dave B

Postby Dave B » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:09 am

Waggs wrote:
Kiefer wrote:Nice tips there, Waggs.

Kaiman's link above does a good job of describing what I did. I did use "Printscreen" to capture and then pasted into IRFanView to save. I don't know that Windows 7 has the "snipping" tool, but I use IRFanView for quick pic edits. In the case of the screen shots above, I had to resize them to 800x600 so that they could be uploaded.

Waggs

Also, Windows XP and Windows 7 have a program in the accessories folder called the "Snipping Tool," which, I feel, is a far easier too and more useful than going the "Print Screen" and paste into paint option.
The mountains - whose summits reach or exceed arbitrary thresholds for elevation and prominence - are calling and I must go.

-John Muir

Return to “General Mountaineering Discussion”