Behind the Names of 14ers

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
This forum is for general, mountaineering-related topics. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SilverLynx
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (14)
13er Checklist (17)

Re: Behind the Names of 14ers

Postby SilverLynx » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:25 am

sanjuanmtneer wrote:I make a motion to rename Mount Elbert to Damn You Bill Middlebrook Mountain. :lol:

+1

Steve,

That is very interesting info! I never knew any of that about Samuel Elbert or the old name of Mount Lindsey. I think it would be fitting if Elbert was renamed after a Native American... But I do think "Damn You Bill Middlebrook Mountain" is catchy and people would remember it. :lol:
We owe it to ourselves and to the next generation to conserve the environment so that we can bequeath our children a sustainable world that benefits all.
Wangari Maathai
Gareth
14er Checklist (25)
13er Checklist (22)

Postby Gareth » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:33 am

I wouldn't mind seeing Mt. Evans remaned due to Gov. Evans' role in the Sand Creek Massacre.

But "Mt. Black Kettle" just doesn't have quite the same ring to it, however. :-k
"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second."
- William James
Rcizzle
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (6)
13er Checklist (4)

Postby Rcizzle » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:27 pm

We need to change the name of Wilson peak.
Bad decisions make good stories.
JimR
14er Checklist (56)
13er Checklist (67)

Postby JimR » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:39 pm

sgladbach wrote:Besides, Mt Rosalie , the original name has a far better story. Rosalie was named by Albert Bierstadt after the wife of his friend. Bierstadt and Rosalie were illicit lovers. Her husband, racist and hasheesh addicted Fitz Ludlow was too occupied with his own bevy of lovers to much care what his wife was up to. Restoring the original name would put Rosalie and Bierstadt back in each other's embrace.

I like it. I had assumed that "Rosalie" must have been the name of Evans' wife, daughter, or mistress. Also, apparently Bierstadt later married Rosalie (Wikipedia). This is much better; Mt. Evans should definitely be renamed. Now what should we call the town of Evanston?
I have more age than experience, more experience than knowledge, and more knowledge than wisdom.
Yet somehow I usually make it back to the car safely; and oftentimes, so do the people that I'm with.
JimR
14er Checklist (56)
13er Checklist (67)

Postby JimR » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:52 pm

And while we're on the subject of people with less than stellar reputations having 14ers named after them, this is from 14ers.com's entry for Mt. Cameron:

Alternatively -- and perhaps more likely given its proximity to Mount Lincoln -- the mountain may have been named for Simon Cameron (March 8, 1799 – June 26, 1889), Republican senator from Pennsylvania and President Lincoln's first Secretary of War, whom he fired for corruption after Cameron had been in office less than ten months. Allegedly, Lincoln asked Congressman Thaddeus Stevens (also from Pennsylvania) about Cameron's honesty, and Stevens replied, "I do not believe he would steal a red hot stove." Cameron demanded a retraction, so Stevens admitted his statement might have been incorrect.

Then again, maybe an insignificant bump on a nondescript ridge, trod upon by people making their way to Lincoln, is an appropriate memorial for the man.
I have more age than experience, more experience than knowledge, and more knowledge than wisdom.
Yet somehow I usually make it back to the car safely; and oftentimes, so do the people that I'm with.

Return to “General Mountaineering Discussion”