A whole bunch of Firsts!!! (ad hoc TR)

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
This forum is for general, mountaineering-related topics. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Dark Helmet
14er Checklist (1)

A whole bunch of Firsts!!! (ad hoc TR)

Postby Dark Helmet » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:00 pm

I did my first summit (not a 14er) this morning.

we got into Estes at about 4pm yesterday got into the Cabin (VERY nice!), saw a few elk and a mule deer, then ran into town to Ed's (so good....)

this morning, got up at 5, out the door at 5:20, down to Twin Sisters TH at about 5:50.

Foggy, rainy, not nice outside.

I was the only car at the TH and hit the trail right at 6. starting in the dark, alone, first time I've ever been on that mountain, was very nerve-wracking. I almost lost the trail a couple of times and had three different stops to correct equipment/gear problems I should have seen coming...

about a mile up I heard a Moose (I thought it odd, but it was either a moose, or a VERY VERY talented moose hunter calling one in. the Forest was very quiet, only a few birds that sounded like a rattlesnake the first time... that was a little freaky.

About two miles up the rain turned into snow.. joy.

I have no pics because, well, you couldn't see anything. so much for "best views of Longs Peak" I could hardly see my feet.

after losing between 10 minutes or so to various gear mistakes (some were corrected), I summited at 8:02am... not too bad for not being able to see, being soaked, and this being my first day at altitude since... uh, since... well, it's been a while. I spent about 15mins on the summit sending email/texts on a couple of issues that popped up at work, hopped back down to the comm shed to pick up my pack, then took 1:40 to get down... that seemed very long, but the bottom two miles were murder on my knees and ankles from being so uneven. My knee is all wrapped up right now.

I was back on Hwy7 at 10am, back at the cabin at ~10:20.

Not a bad morning...

the quick hits:

First Summit!
First Solo Summit!
First pre-dawn start!
First Rain Hike
First Snow Hike

Couldn't see jack the whole way up, below 10Kft visibility was a little better, but it was dark on the way up.

My old snowboarding jacket that was water/wind-proof, is no longer waterproof. at all.

I picked the wrong socks

I don't own the right gloves.

my pack has an awesome waterproof rain-fly... that I forgot about until mile 2.5

and I packed way too heavy... binoculars? nothing to see. sidearm? can't shoot what you can't see!

all that said... not too bad.

I shot a video of myself on the summit.. when my phone finishes uploading it I'll link it.

EDIT: Video is up!

Last edited by Dark Helmet on Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Theodore
14er Checklist (18)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (1)

Re: A whole bunch of Firsts!!! (ad hoc TR)

Postby Theodore » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:15 pm

Gotta love the learning curve at lease you made it out not any worse for wear. Any other hikes on this trip?
YEONDERIN
14er Checklist (50)
13er Checklist (7)

Postby YEONDERIN » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:17 pm

Way to stick with it Dark helmet and welcome to Colorado! I think my profile has a photo of that view you missed, if your interested.
Life and death are only a breath away, no matter where you are...
Living is only a breath away in the high country !

Being lost is a state on mind not a location of the body...
if you always are where you want to be then you can never get lost.

NEVER GROW OLD.....YOU WILL LIVE TO REGRET IT ! (John Wayne)
tlongpine
14er Checklist (26)
14ers Skied (1)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (4)

Postby tlongpine » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:24 pm

Dark Helmet wrote:Couldn't see jack the whole way up, below 10Kft visibility was a little better, but it was dark on the way up.

Who is jack? I thought this was a solo summit.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
Dark Helmet
14er Checklist (1)

Postby Dark Helmet » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:19 pm

Theodore wrote:Gotta love the learning curve at lease you made it out not any worse for wear. Any other hikes on this trip?

some easier stuff tomorrow with the whole family... probably end up doing Sky Pond or Andrews Friday with the two big kids. I doubt I'll get anymore honest summits in this trip... unless its Lily Mtn, which doesn't count for much.

video is linked in the first post now!
Dark Helmet
14er Checklist (1)

Postby Dark Helmet » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:37 pm

Another First!

First Summit for my son (8)... Lily Mtn...

BEAUTIFUL trip up...

got soaked and hailed on the last mile down!!!

took the full 2.5hrs, which wasn't too bad with the big kids (5 and 7) on their own and the wife and I carrying the littles... I had Violet (age 3, 35lbs) in a Kelty carrier so with "stuff" I was sniffing 50lbs of pack... Wife had Molly (~5mos) in a little carrier on her front.

There was more total climb than I expected on that trail... even though its only ~800ft of gain, it's probably 1100-1200 of climb.

Summit Video!

Last edited by Dark Helmet on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tehchad
14er Checklist (13)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (8)

Postby tehchad » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:38 pm

First off, congrats on all the firsts! =D>

Second, I feel like this should be required reading for anyone considering a 14er, or even 13er for that matter. It really IS that different and can get ... uncomfortable in a matter of a couple of minutes.
Dark Helmet
14er Checklist (1)

Postby Dark Helmet » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:43 pm

tehchad wrote:First off, congrats on all the firsts! =D>

Second, I feel like this should be required reading for anyone considering a 14er, or even 13er for that matter. It really IS that different and can get ... uncomfortable in a matter of a couple of minutes.

Thanks man... I look at it as a learning opportunity for anyone, espcially flatlanders who do this stuff sporadically and want to cram in as much as possibl when they do! I'm happy to let everyone learn from my mistakes.

that said, more firsts!!!

Ended up doing Chasm Lake this Morning with my son (7), left at 7am got to the lake at ~10:50 or so. the lower boulderfield (or whatever its called from the Battlefield Mtn Campground to the junction with the first privy) was VERY slow going for the little guy, those taller "steps" are just murder on his short legs (we are not a tall family).

I have never seen the allure of Longs... now I get it. the staggering scale of the diamond (which is a pyramid) at close-quarters is breathtaking as you approach peacock pool (which was the highlight of the trip for me, the colors were staggering).

we spent just a few short moments at the top (pics and vids below) and then hustled down the 4.2mi in 1:40... we were cooking!

just above treeline

where are we going again?

Linus at the top

Does a bear crap on the mountain? I dunno, but Linus does!

obligatory Summit video...

New highest Elevation for both Linus and I.
His first class 2+ (at least that's what it felt like to him on the scramble!)
Linus' first time above treeline.

Now, a week to recover and sort out some equipment issues, then Barr Trail next friday! FIRST 14er!
tehchad
14er Checklist (13)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (8)

Postby tehchad » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:02 pm

Nice work once again! Altitude records are always great to bust!

I think this just reiterates my previous thought. Nearly 4 hours to go just over 4 miles.... Things take a VERY long time when you might not be acclimated. (I know the steps are a bit draining for short legs.) Most times cruising up there, that 4 hours is less than two for groups. Altitude makes a difference.

Great photos! I saw the storms rolling over there and it's good to see the snow!
Dark Helmet
14er Checklist (1)

Postby Dark Helmet » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:21 pm

Thanks again... I think I'd have been in the 2.5hr range on my own. although I did have a little route-finding trouble due to the snow on the last half-mile or so.

I learned a LOT for my attempt of pikes next week... and that was the goal.
tehchad
14er Checklist (13)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (8)

Postby tehchad » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:29 pm

Dark Helmet wrote:Thanks again... I think I'd have been in the 2.5hr range on my own. although I did have a little route-finding trouble due to the snow on the last half-mile or so.

I learned a LOT for my attempt of pikes next week... and that was the goal.

Okay cool! I think you're on the right track for whatever it might be worth. :)

Return to “General Mountaineering Discussion”