"Vertical Limit" drinking game?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
skiwall

Re: "Vertical Limit" drinking game?

Postby skiwall » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:50 am

I noticed last night, coincidentally, that this movie is on Netflix right now... :-D
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08
I Man

Postby I Man » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:51 am

skiwall wrote:I noticed last night, coincidentally, that this movie is on Netflix right now... :-D

The movie has been on Netflix for years....sad to say I've watched it far too often :oops: :roll:
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
wildlobo71

Postby wildlobo71 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:57 am

Face it everyone - Hollywood has this simple message for you - "we cannot convey any excitement through traditional rock and mountain climbing. Your sport is boring; we will spice it up for you."
You've never really stopped even if you feel like you have.
JROSKA

Postby JROSKA » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:58 pm

I remember seeing Vertical Limit a long time ago - didn't it come out very close to the 1996 Everest disaster? That's my recollection anyways, maybe Hollywood was trying to play on those fears. I saw that movie a few times, long before I had moved out to Colorado or knew anything about hiking or climbing. However, as soon as I watched the first "Nitro" scene, I instantly concluded that nothing that movie presented about mountain climbing could be taken seriously.
SeracZack

Postby SeracZack » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:05 pm

Vertical Limit guide to climbing.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller
forbins_mtn

Postby forbins_mtn » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:44 pm

holy crap - after watching that, i HAVE to see this movie tonight! I'm dying to find out why they have nitroglycerine. this could definitely bring the lulz
DaveSwink

Postby DaveSwink » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:13 pm

forbins_mtn wrote:holy crap - after watching that, i HAVE to see this movie tonight! I'm dying to find out why they have nitroglycerine. this could definitely bring the lulz

You don't take nitro when you climb? The ten essentials, dude! :shock:
forbins_mtn

Postby forbins_mtn » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:16 pm

dswink wrote:
forbins_mtn wrote:holy crap - after watching that, i HAVE to see this movie tonight! I'm dying to find out why they have nitroglycerine. this could definitely bring the lulz

You don't take nitro when you climb? The ten essentials, dude! :shock:

i'm signed up for Nitro 1 course with the CMC starting next month. i just didn't think it was good to get out there without proper education
illusion7il

Postby illusion7il » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:44 am

Favorite Climbing Movie : Touching the Void - Actually based on true story and its on Netflix instant
skiwall

Postby skiwall » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:21 am

You guys should watch The Climb.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0283999/

It's hilarious and terrible for so many reasons. It was also filmed in the Wasatch.

Best part (spoiler alert): They're on top of the previously unclimbed "Chicanauga" in South America, and they hug, and everybody is so happy, and the camera does a 360 degree view, and oh- there's the ski tracks from Main Chute (they're on Baldy), and oh- there's the tram at Snowbird. It's amazing.
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08
GregMiller

Postby GregMiller » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:25 am

Actually just watched Touching the Void for the first time last night. Wow. I hope for two things in my life: 1) to never have to display that kind of determination, and 2) if I need to, to be able summon even half of what Joe Simpson did.

Anyway, back to Vertical Limit - I'll totally bring it with to the next Denver Happy Hour, should be good for a laugh :-D
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Return to “General Mountaineering Discussion”