"Vertical Limit" drinking game?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
This forum is for general, mountaineering-related topics. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
GregMiller
14er Checklist (30)
14ers Skied (4)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (18)

"Vertical Limit" drinking game?

Postby GregMiller » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:20 pm

So, I was cleaning out some old stuff from my parent's place, and came across a copy of "Vertical Limit", and brought it home with me. Having seen it once, I know how ridiculous it is. Thus, I'd like to turn watching it into a drinking game.

Anyone have any specific suggestions (beyond just drinking for any little bit of mountaineering stupidity)?
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
Bean
14er Checklist (29)
14ers Skied (28)
14ers in Winter (8)
13er Checklist (7)

Re: "Vertical Limit" drinking game?

Postby Bean » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:33 pm

1) Pour yourself an adult beverage
2) Drink said adult beverage at an appropriate rate
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
vallejoclmbr
14er Checklist (28)

Postby vallejoclmbr » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:44 pm

farcedude wrote:So, I was cleaning out some old stuff from my parent's place, and came across a copy of "Vertical Limit", and brought it home with me. Having seen it once, I know how ridiculous it is. Thus, I'd like to turn watching it into a drinking game.

Anyone have any specific suggestions (beyond just drinking for any little bit of mountaineering stupidity)?

You may get some good ideas here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxtg7raPDYo

...maybe take a drink every time they say "nitro"
GregMiller
14er Checklist (30)
14ers Skied (4)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (18)

Postby GregMiller » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:57 pm

vallejoclmbr wrote:You may get some good ideas here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxtg7raPDYo

...maybe take a drink every time they say "nitro"

Ooh, that is just too good...
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
ameristrat
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (6)
13er Checklist (26)

Postby ameristrat » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:27 pm

Bring it to Denver Happy Hour and make it up as we go!
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal
tommyboy360
14er Checklist (58)

Postby tommyboy360 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:25 am

If you don't add Sylvester Stallone and "Gabe" quotes from the movie Cliffhanger than this game will be lacking. Any great drinking/climbing game must include GABE Walker.
“It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”
forbins_mtn
14er Checklist (23)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (11)

Postby forbins_mtn » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:37 am

am i crazy for never having seen this movie? looks like i gotta Netflix this badboy. I've heard it's beyond ridiculous
ed20320
14er Checklist (56)
14ers in Winter (10)
13er Checklist (10)

Postby ed20320 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:38 am

hey, lets not forget that Ed Viesturs had a small part in this movie. very, very small mind you. outside of that...............
In the immortal words of Socrates, “I drank WHAT?”
Doug Shaw
14er Checklist Not Entered

Postby Doug Shaw » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:37 am

I'm proposing the Drinking Game Drinking Game. Every time someone on the internet suggests making a drinking game out of something, you take a drink. (Right now someone, somewhere is probably take a drink because of this very post.)

But my version will have a twist: you have to take a drink for every year it's been since you first heard someone propose that same drinking game.
kushrocks
14er Checklist (57)
14ers in Winter (16)
13er Checklist (21)

Postby kushrocks » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:55 am

jasayrevt wrote:That movie is utterly ridiculous. A quick way to consume a lot of alcohol would just be drink any time something non-sensical (for real mountaineering) happens. Haven't even seen it in some time and the following still come to mind on the spot (correct if wrong):

(a) One of the two goofballs that goes on the rescue effort self-arrests on rock with an ice axe at the very last second while flying out of control over a cliff
(b) Annie's brother jumps over a large gap in the mountain wielding two ice axes and stops himself cold on a wall on the other side of the gap
(c) That whole helicopter drop-off scene high on the mountain. The old guy catches the brother (full pack and all) when he falls off the helicopter
(d) They rescue Annie high on K-2 all very weak with her unable to walk and in the next scene they are all back at the tent
(e) Many of the rescue team had very little high-altitude experience and they went up K-2

:)

1) Don't forget where the rich Texan Oil man played by Bill Paxton helicopters into Base Camp unacclimated and then flies further up the mountain to go for the summit the next day.
2) Oh and how about those hard core down suits they were wearing . . .looked more like windbreakers
3) The whole explosion thing . . .enough said about that
4) Finally and perhaps best of all no one in the climbing party or rescue party while being unacclimated used any Oxygen. :-k
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
I Man
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (49)
13er Checklist (73)

Postby I Man » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:58 am

kushrocks wrote:
jasayrevt wrote:That movie is utterly ridiculous. A quick way to consume a lot of alcohol would just be drink any time something non-sensical (for real mountaineering) happens. Haven't even seen it in some time and the following still come to mind on the spot (correct if wrong):

(a) One of the two goofballs that goes on the rescue effort self-arrests on rock with an ice axe at the very last second while flying out of control over a cliff
(b) Annie's brother jumps over a large gap in the mountain wielding two ice axes and stops himself cold on a wall on the other side of the gap
(c) That whole helicopter drop-off scene high on the mountain. The old guy catches the brother (full pack and all) when he falls off the helicopter
(d) They rescue Annie high on K-2 all very weak with her unable to walk and in the next scene they are all back at the tent
(e) Many of the rescue team had very little high-altitude experience and they went up K-2

:)

1) Don't forget where the rich Texan Oil man played by Bill Paxton helicopters into Base Camp unacclimated and then flies further up the mountain to go for the summit the next day.
2) Oh and how about those down suits they were wearing . . .looked more like windbreakers
3) Finally and perhaps best of all no one in the climbing party or rescue party while being unacclimated used any Oxygen. :-k

Montgomery sends them on 3 different routes "I've been up them all and they are all about the same" (BS!!!) - then he is shown free soloing a vertical ice face while Peter "belays" him from fairly far away.
He is also carrying an alpine rack....just totally not accurate.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
summitstep
14er Checklist (13)
13er Checklist (1)

Postby summitstep » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:18 am

...maybe take a drink every time they say "nitro"[/quote]

Do this and you will no longer be vertical in a very short time :iluvbeer: :iluvbeer: :iluvbeer: :iluvbeer:
"In this high country that we love, trails are steep. We climb each mile, breath by breath, and at the threshold of pain, bliss overtakes us."

"It's called CRAZY. And somehow, when you are bent over your poles, staring at your boots- heart heaving and trying not to cough your lung onto a rock= you look up...and you are looking down over all those beautiful mountains....and you wouldn't want to be anywhere else."

"For all the richness of normal, everyday life, it is good sometimes to trespass high in the sky, and live with uncommon intensity, experiencing something that gets close to the sublime."

Return to “General Mountaineering Discussion”