nonpolitical political news

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
This forum is for general, mountaineering-related topics. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
James Scott
14er Checklist (58)

nonpolitical political news

Postby James Scott » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:31 am

This is more a plug for Environment Colorado than any of the other mentioned individuals, but this is good news, and I thought our community might appreciate hearing about it. Got this email today:

I don’t want you to miss the great news from last week.

On Friday, President Obama was in southwestern Colorado to officially designate Chimney Rock a national monument. This is a huge victory, and this wouldn’t have been possible without overwhelming support from Coloradans like you.

Earlier this year, Environment Colorado staff made a trip out to Washington, D.C., to meet with Sens. Mark Udall and Michael Bennet and other members of the Colorado delegation. With the voices and power of our members behind us, we made the case for protecting the best of America – Colorado’s public lands like Chimney Rock, which was built by ancient Pueblans a thousand years. The good news is our decision makers listened.

Now, Chimney Rock’s awe-inspiring and historic 4,100-acres within the San Juan National Forest will be protected from drilling and irresponsible development for years to come. And this one’s thanks to you and other Coloradans who take the time to make their voices heard in our state capitol as well as Washington D.C.

Whenever a president takes the time to permanently preserve a special place in our beautiful state, it is worth some loud applause.

And if you and your family haven’t made it out to this part of our state, you should definitely plan a trip soon. Chimney Rock is truly remarkable. The site is believed to host a rare celestial event described as a “lunar standstill,” where the full moon rises for several nights in a row in the same area, hovering between the two stone chimneys.

America’s parks and monuments are the nation’s most treasured places – where people can experience the best of America’s great outdoors, wildlife and history. Chimney Rock is now another special place that will be protected and preserved for generations to come.

Thanks again for helping us secure this win.

Sincerely,

Jeanne Bassett
Environment Colorado
"Some climb... to get to Terrapin."
MtHurd
14er Checklist (57)
14ers in Winter (4)
13er Checklist (29)

Re: nonpolitical political news

Postby MtHurd » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:59 am

Good news indeed. Another beautiful place near and dear to my heart that needs protecting is the Columbine Hondo Wilderness Study area of the New Mexico Sangre de Cristos. It's time for it to be permanently protected as a designated wilderness area.

http://www.columbinehondo.org/
Taillon75
14er Checklist (54)
14ers Skied (8)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (43)

Postby Taillon75 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:11 pm

Not bad.... But didnt that idiot Udall also give the OK for the I-70
MEGA ski resorts to start huge expansions??? But we still dont have
A commuter train up the I-70 corridor. Yay Big Government!!!
edhaman
14er Checklist (15)
13er Checklist (14)

Postby edhaman » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:17 pm

Chimney Rock is in western Nebraska, and is already a National Historic Site.
Kiefer
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (37)
13er Checklist (215)

Postby Kiefer » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:35 pm

edhaman wrote:Chimney Rock is in western Nebraska, and is already a National Historic Site.

No it's not.
It's in the Cimarron's next to Turret Ridge and Courthouse Mountain. :P
Matt
14er Checklist (58)
13er Checklist (198)

Postby Matt » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:39 pm

Kiefer wrote:
edhaman wrote:Chimney Rock is in western Nebraska, and is already a National Historic Site.

No it's not.
It's in the Cimarron's next to Turret Ridge and Courthouse Mountain. :P

Sorry, both of you need to get it together.
It's in Montezuma County. http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Climbers.php?Id=6447

In other news, I heard the rumor that there's more than one Sheep Mountain in Colorado. Please...
Phillip K. Nixon. Moby. Latvala. Derkase.
Peak List
ThuChad
14er Checklist (27)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (1)

Postby ThuChad » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:42 pm

I thought it was a rock in near Waynoka, Oklahoma that blew over in the 70s.

I'm just pretending to be a poseur.
speth
14er Checklist (49)
14ers in Winter (4)
13er Checklist (20)

Postby speth » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:42 pm

ThuChad wrote:

I thought it was a rock in near Waynoka, Oklahoma that blew over in the 70s.

I was under the impression it was a park in North Carolina...

I'll be damned if I feel like I will ever know anything, but if we don't keep moving on that last hill, we'll never know what's on the other side.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The rain and thunder, the wind and haze are bound for better days. My life, my dream. Nothin's gonna stop me now.
[-X What are you insinuating? Do you think I'm Ranger? =; Because if you do than you are dead wrong.
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
rage-quit mountaineer wrote:I give up. Bill, just delete my account.
wildlobo71
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (6)
13er Checklist (40)

Postby wildlobo71 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:56 pm

I was under the impression they made a killer Cabernet Sauvignon... And if that's the case, I am all in favor of protecting these historic sites with federal dollars and re-titling them National Monuments... Breweries and Distilleries, too!

Chimney Rock
You've never really stopped even if you feel like you have.
James Scott
14er Checklist (58)

Postby James Scott » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:16 pm

I don't claim to have visited Chimney Rock, but given the fact that it is being protected by Environment COLORADO, I would assume it's somewhere in the state. If it's really in North Carolina, I think it's time to ask for my money back.
"Some climb... to get to Terrapin."
SteveBonowski
14er Checklist Not Entered

Postby SteveBonowski » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:57 pm

Chimney Rock, the new national monument, is near Pagosa Springs and is known for both rock formations and important Native American cultural sites. A variety of groups, not just Environment Colorado, supported the designation, which had bipartisan political support.
edhaman
14er Checklist (15)
13er Checklist (14)

Postby edhaman » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:43 pm

Maybe we need a ChimneyRock.com site for those who want to climb all of the Chimney Rocks in the world.

Return to “General Mountaineering Discussion”