How Did/Will You Pick Your Finishing Peak?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
This forum is for general, mountaineering-related topics. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BobbyFinn
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (18)
13er Checklist (402)

Re: How Did/Will You Pick Your Finishing Peak?

Postby BobbyFinn » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:54 pm

We never thought we'd finish - even when we had hiked 30 ish 14ers. So we had the harder ones to do toward the end. Then weather made some of our decisions. In the end, LB and Capitol were our last 2 and weather issues and logistics with the previous 4 (Chi Basin) made Capitol our finisher.
We had a good time on our finisher.
Bob
Aug_Dog
14er Checklist (31)
13er Checklist (16)

Postby Aug_Dog » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:36 pm

My thoughts on this topic recently changed when we met a finisher on Handies. I wanna finish on an easy one. Have a party.
J-RockandRockpile
14er Checklist Not Entered

Postby J-RockandRockpile » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:00 pm

tylermacguire wrote:If I am ever fortunate enough to finish I will do it on Pikes Peak. My ideal plan would be to drive to the top in the Spring and snowboard down. I would then climb back to the summit. By doing so, my wife and some other family /friends that don't climb 14ers can celebrate with me at the finish line.

Thats a pretty cool idea ya got there
I have been to the top of the mountain, and it is good
MountainHiker
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (104)

Postby MountainHiker » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:38 pm

I didn’t plan my final fourteener. It was just the one that was left over. When I started doing the fourteeners I didn’t have a plan to finish them, so I did all the closer ones first. When I realized I was planning to finish them all, most of the remaining were in the Sangres, Elks and San Juans.

I didn’t have a 4WD nor was I set up very well for overnight backpacks. That combination meant I did a lot of long day hikes. Combining that reality with the remaining long drives meant I did a lot of repeats of the closer fourteeners along with some thirteeners.

My finisher was Snowmass. To do Snowmass as a day hike requires a 4WD. A few weeks after I’d completed all the others I rode with some friends to do Snowmass via Lead King Basin.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
sunny1
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (4)
13er Checklist (122)

Postby sunny1 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:49 pm

I never thought I'd finish. When I started this journey, I didn't think I could climb 14ers.
When I got to 49 14er summits, I decided I'd choose the one left that sounded the most fun, and the most beautiful, to me.
Mt of the Holy Cross (with Notch Mtn and the Halo Ridge, so I'm out there all day).
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
Matt Lemke
14er Checklist (54)
14ers in Winter (8)
13er Checklist (91)

Postby Matt Lemke » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:51 pm

I too didn't think I could finish when I started but now with Capitol, Pyramid, Snowmass and the Bells done (to which I thought were all pretty easy) I am down to just 6; 5 of which are in the Sangres.

I'll either finish on the Crestones or Holy Cross
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"
tommyboy360
14er Checklist (58)

Postby tommyboy360 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:02 pm

I had an idea early on of what I wanted to finish on but it didn't work out that way.

I had a few failed attempts as I narrowed the list down. Eventually it came down to Little Bear and Snowmass both of which I had failed attempts on.

I never planned on Snowmass to be my finisher until I got down to the last 2 remaining peaks. I really enjoy the Elk Range and the towns of Aspen, Carbondale and Glenwood Springs. The view of Mt. Sopris on 82 has always been one of my favorites in the state. Snowmass and Aspen Highlands are 2 of my favorite ski areas in the state. I'm stoked to have my finisher and the connection with so many great memories to be aligned with the name "Snowmass" and that area of the state. Again, it just presented itself at the end because of a failed attempt and the fact it's logistically a difficult peak to pursue. It's also the most remote of the Elk range 14ers so it's difficult to get a view of it's beauty. Definitely a special place and memory for me and it's a great summation of why I love the Colorado mountains.
“It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”
CCU_Jim
14er Checklist (58)
13er Checklist (20)

Postby CCU_Jim » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:07 pm

Although I planned on finishing from close to the beginning, I didn't really think ahead about what was going to be my finisher until I was up to about 40 peaks. I would have loved to have saved a closer, easy peak to finish on so that my wife and friends could join me, but by that time, I had already done all the easy ones. So, with that out of the equation, I decided to go the exact opposite and finish with a bang. I opted for the Bells Traverse. Tough climb, iconic peaks, beautiful Elk range. It ended up being a fantastic way to finish.
Jim Davies
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (61)

Postby Jim Davies » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:31 pm

Mine will be Capitol, since it's my only remaining one, but it's sort of by default since I did the easier ones first. I only started "planning" how to finish a couple of years ago, when my wife started to catch up to me, and now we plan to finish together, someday. Currently she's only got 5 left, so maybe next year.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin

Return to “General Mountaineering Discussion”