How Did/Will You Pick Your Finishing Peak?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
This forum is for general, mountaineering-related topics. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
GeezerClimber
14er Checklist (58)
13er Checklist (15)

How Did/Will You Pick Your Finishing Peak?

Postby GeezerClimber » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:56 am

Since my peak list got over 40, I've been thinking about which remaining peak I want to be my last. I'm guessing there are some cool stories or reasons out there for picking a finisher. Let's hear 'em.

Dave
aliciaf
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (2)
13er Checklist (10)

Re: How Did/Will You Pick Your Finishing Peak?

Postby aliciaf » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:00 am

I believe there was a very similar post just recently. Can't seem to find it right now, maybe someone else will have the link to the thread for you to look through.
geojed
14er Checklist (50)
14ers in Winter (7)
13er Checklist (96)

Postby geojed » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:03 am

• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain
Scott P
14er Checklist (46)
14ers in Winter (16)
13er Checklist (30)

Postby Scott P » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:26 am

More or less, which 14ers I have done first and last depended on the distance from wherever I was living and/or working.

The biggest exception was that I finished the Sawatch before the Elks because the Sawatch typically have safer winter routes (winter is when I did the majority of the Sawatch Peaks).

My first 14ers were Sneffels, Wilson Peak, Mt Wilson and El Diente because I was working in Naturita/Telluride at the time and they were the closest.

Now that I live in Craig, with the exception of Snowmass (which will probably be next), more or less, the rest of the 14ers I have left are the farthest ones from my house so it could be any one of those and which one is last doesn't matter to me much.

I imagine Culebra will probably be my last since it’s farthest from my house and everyone has to pay to climb it.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
YooperJonKornely
14er Checklist (26)
14ers Skied (2)

Postby YooperJonKornely » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:46 am

I'm still FAR off... but I'm keeping Elbert saved up just in case. It's one of the easier hikes so when that day comes hopefully I can bring a few friends, and why not save the tallest for last!
GeezerClimber
14er Checklist (58)
13er Checklist (15)

Postby GeezerClimber » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:36 am

geojed wrote:Recent forum thread is here:

http://14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=37533

I did a search and that one didn't turn up. Nevertheless, that thread looks for opinions, I'm looking for stories. I hope there are more out there.

Dave
timberlinecolorado56
14er Checklist (50)

Postby timberlinecolorado56 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:46 am

I am currently at 40 14ers but I've had my last 14er picked out for a while. Holy Cross will be my last. I am a Christian and I want to end on Holy Cross as a way of glorifying God. He's the one that has blessed me with the ability and resources to climb all the 14ers and I want finishing on Holy Cross to be a symbol of that. Some hiking partners of mine from several years ago had that same desire and just finished on Holy Cross in August with all their families in attendance. Not much of a story but that is how I picked my finishing peak. Now I just can't wait to get there!
All creation declares the beauty and majesty of the Lord God Almighty.

"In his hand are the depths of the earth, and the mountain peaks belong to him... come let us bow down in worship... for he is our God." Psalm 95:5-7
J-RockandRockpile
14er Checklist Not Entered

Postby J-RockandRockpile » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:46 am

Personally I want something easy for my last. Get all the hard stuff done and out of the way and then tackle something like Handies in the San Juans for my finisher.

Which at my pace won't be fore a long time
I have been to the top of the mountain, and it is good
SurfNTurf
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (25)
13er Checklist (58)

Postby SurfNTurf » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:51 am

I went back to finish on the first 14er I attempted. I failed the first time because I am an idiot.

Sneffels is also an iconic mountain with, in my opinion, Top 3 summit views.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
Tornadoman
14er Checklist (43)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (25)

Postby Tornadoman » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:03 pm

jofkorn1037 wrote:I'm still FAR off... but I'm keeping Elbert saved up just in case. It's one of the easier hikes so when that day comes hopefully I can bring a few friends, and why not save the tallest for last!

I am in the same boat, I am leaning toward Elbert (just over halfway through). Kind of want to do an easier one last where some friends can join me, and it won't be as stressful as a difficult peak!
James Scott
14er Checklist (58)

Postby James Scott » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:31 pm

I had planned to finish on Uncompahgre because it's a bit easier so I could take friends, I wouldn't have any stress from the climbing, and it is so iconic and the views are amazing. Two weeks before, I went to do the Wilsons, and only completed Wilson Peak. So after getting Uncomhahgre (and San Luis) when I had already planned them, I had to wait a couple more weeks and do the El Diente > Mt Wilson traverse. It had my attention and tested my abilities, but I also completely loved it and it felt good!

Then I met my wife in Buena Vista for a celebratory meal and a stay at a bed and breakfast.
Then she made me 59 cupcakes, which I decorated for each 14er, and we had a big beer & cupcake party celebration.
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/viewuploadse.php?recnum=12561&start=0&sortt=8
"Some climb... to get to Terrapin."
tylermacguire
14er Checklist (29)
14ers Skied (2)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (12)

Postby tylermacguire » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:44 pm

If I am ever fortunate enough to finish I will do it on Pikes Peak. My ideal plan would be to drive to the top in the Spring and snowboard down. I would then climb back to the summit. By doing so, my wife and some other family /friends that don't climb 14ers can celebrate with me at the finish line.

Return to “General Mountaineering Discussion”