One last climb

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
This forum is for general, mountaineering-related topics. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Paragon4
14er Checklist Not Entered

One last climb

Postby Paragon4 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:43 pm

Hey all, looks like I'm heading to Colorado one last time before winter. Any suggestions on a climb? My first and last summit was Wetterhorn Peak, so it has to be awesome. Maybe something in the elks?
Also, I'm heading over on Oct 5-10; what are the conditions this time of the year?
Thanks! 谢谢
-Alan
Jesse M
14er Checklist (24)
13er Checklist (15)

Re: One last climb

Postby Jesse M » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:09 pm

Ha, Wetterhorn was my first also. Wilson peak was my second so maybe that could be a good option. From the ones I have done I would suggest Huron, super views and a fun hike, much easier than Wetterhorn but has charm. Bierstadt/Sawtooth/Evans would be my next suggestion. Good luck, who knows what it will be like in Oct, I hope for snow!
Last edited by Jesse M on Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paragon4

Postby Paragon4 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:16 pm

Wilson sounds ok except the hike; I don't have 4wd. Tell me about Huron. Im not a 14 bagger, just want a good hike and summit if possible.
"By this we know love, that he laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers. But if anyone has the world's goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God's love abide in him? Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth." 1st John 3:16-18
Jesse M
14er Checklist (24)
13er Checklist (15)

Postby Jesse M » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:44 pm

Huron has the reputation of being the 14er with the best views in the Sawatch, thus far I agree. You can make it to the 2WD TH in just about any car, my chevy Aveo has done it a few times, once this summer but only to the Sheep Gulch TH, just be ready
for washboard. This is in no way a scramble and is a 9.2 mile roundtrip from the 2WD TH. The views include the Three Apostles, an area you could also climb in from the Winfield TH if you're into the whole scramble thing. The Northwest Slopes would be the 'standard' route. I had a failed attempt on the North Ridge but it looked really awesome from Browns Peak, and was a great climb to the summit of Browns.
laxcountrypiper
14er Checklist (47)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (1)

Postby laxcountrypiper » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:05 pm

Hike La Plata from Winfield. In my humble opinion it's a far better hike. Less people, some of the best scenery on any trail, and while not a difficult rout, has interesting and variable terrain.
nyker
14er Checklist (58)
13er Checklist (6)

Postby nyker » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:08 pm

Paragon4 wrote:Wilson sounds ok except the hike; I don't have 4wd. Tell me about Huron. Im not a 14 bagger, just want a good hike and summit if possible.

Not sure what you mean by "the hike" on Wilson Peak - I'd highly recommend this climb: The road is actually not too bad and you can get to at least that stream in a normal 2wd vehicle. The hike up the saddle traverses some great terrain.

See my report for some details:

http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=12864&parmpeak=Wilson+Peak&cpgm=tripmain&ski=Include

Totally depends on what you want to do though. Though some folks will say the hated certain 14ers, I didn't hate any. There are some I'd do again before others, but can't say I hated any trips, quite the contrary, I've enjoyed every one! Watch out for hunters though, wear an orange hat and have fun!
Paragon4

Postby Paragon4 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:27 pm

When I say "the hike" --and there is no way to say this without sounding like a weenie-- I'm talking about the 16 mile trip length. Thanks for the info though.
I would do Wetterhorn again in a heartbeat; great climb, short hike, awesome.
"By this we know love, that he laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers. But if anyone has the world's goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God's love abide in him? Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth." 1st John 3:16-18

Return to “General Mountaineering Discussion”