Adventure?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
This forum is for general, mountaineering-related topics. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SeracZack
14er Checklist Not Entered

Re: Adventure?

Postby SeracZack » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:24 am

Interesting read. Kind of reminds me of an interview with Ed Viesturs, where he was asked something about never having a first ascent of a peak and how he felt about that. His response was that each summit was a first ascent for him. He had never done it before. (If I recall the events correctly. If not, feel free to chastise me, and many other bad interwebs things)

I personally like Viesturs stance on this, and is how I look at things myself (albeit, on a smaller scale). I do the things that I want to do because it is something that I want to do. For some reason I feel like people who are looking to be the first person to ride a bike up Everest (or whatever else it may be) seem like they are doing it for the wrong reason. Usually that reason is to put your name in the record books and become immortalized.

Why aren't things done for just the adventure of it?

For the what adventures are left question, I'm sure someone will try and unicycle along the Marinas Trench at some point. Just because no one else has done it.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller
mtndude3737
14er Checklist (58)
13er Checklist (2)

Re: Adventure?

Postby mtndude3737 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:32 am

I am going to deep sea dive to the Mariana Trench, hike along the bottom of the ocean to China, hike across China to Tibet, and then climb Everest without oxygen in my underpants. Of course I will wait until I am 80 years old to do it.

And then I will snowboard down on a board fashioned of old frozen climbing rope that has been left by previous climbers. My environmental contribution.

I appreciate the records, the advancements, the exploration that goes on. However, I agree with Heraclitus. I am constantly conquering my own mountains and exploring the depths of my own personal achievement. I don't need to compare it to anyone. We need to fulfill the measure of our own being.
What is there, beyond the mountain, if not the man? - Walter Bonatti

The simpler you make things, the richer the experience becomes. - Steve House

Return to “General Mountaineering Discussion”