Badlands (S.D.) hikes

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
This forum is for general, mountaineering-related topics. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Eph 2 5
14er Checklist (41)
13er Checklist (75)

Badlands (S.D.) hikes

Postby Eph 2 5 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:59 pm

I'm going to the South Dakota Badlands soon and was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a short (3 or 4 miles max.), easy hike with great views. I'm going with my dad who has a lot of trouble on rocky and uneven terrain. I usually do quite a bit of planning for a trip like this, but I haven't had time to. Also, are there great things to see that aren't visible from the 2 main roads that go through the Badlands? I've got a Forester and if there was a mild dirt road that would take us to great scenery I would definitely drive it. Thanks for your help.
Jvinro
14er Checklist Not Entered

Re: Badlands (S.D.) hikes

Postby Jvinro » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:20 pm

Visit www.picasaweb.google.com/mjneenan and click on the album that has Mt. Rushmore for the cover shot. You will find an excellent and recent trip report on Badlands and surrounding area. Window trail looks the easiest.
Vermont Mike
14er Checklist (35)
13er Checklist (25)

Postby Vermont Mike » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:09 am

I would recommend the Door Trail. Most bang for your buck and an easy trail if I remember correctly. If you have time drive through Custer State Park, including the Needles Highway. Well worth the time and great variety of scenery and wildlife, with many possible short walks including an easy stroll around Sylvan Lake. There's quite a bit you can see from the car in the Black Hills area.
killstorm
14er Checklist (8)
13er Checklist (56)

Postby killstorm » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:33 am

I really liked the Sage Creek Wilderness area. It's a make your own way area (basically just game trails) with great chances to spot wildlife (I hiked among bison and pronghorn and there are also bighorn in the area). It is off trail so may be more than you are looking for, but I think you could put together a pretty easy 3-4 mile walk through the rolling grassy hills and stay off of the badlands. Here's a photo:

Return to “General Mountaineering Discussion”