SurfNTurf and Gregory_Fischer Finish the 14ers!

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
This forum is for general, mountaineering-related topics. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
EmmaM
14er Checklist (48)
14ers in Winter (8)
13er Checklist (11)

Re: SurfNTurf and Gregory_Fischer Finish the 14ers!

Postby EmmaM » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:19 am

I bought a buff, now that I know what all the hype is about.
Mountain Ninja
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (22)
13er Checklist (55)

Postby Mountain Ninja » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:28 am

WAY TO GO, JEFF AND GREGORY!!

Jeff - Sorry we couldn't get out more together! I look forward to hiking with you again soon, man!

Definitely looking forward to the trip report, too bad I couldn't join you guys.

Great job on your awesome finish!!!!
A little pain never hurt anyone.

Karate Training Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmmGEdQ_JeE
CRAIGO
14er Checklist (58)
13er Checklist (24)

Postby CRAIGO » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:28 pm

Nicely done! Looks like it was done in style!
highcountryhiker
14er Checklist (27)
13er Checklist (70)

Postby highcountryhiker » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:06 pm

Congratulations! Beautiful peak on which to finish.
rking007
14er Checklist (13)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (10)

Postby rking007 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:34 pm

Way to goooooooooooooooo!!
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.
Fisching
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (10)
13er Checklist (34)

Postby Fisching » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:36 am

I figure it'd be a decent idea for me to post something of value rather than continuing my trend of snide commentary of the forum: http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=37616 (Plus, Brian Thomas is pestering me)

I'll try and keep this brief. I knew I would always finish the 14ers eventually, but I never religiously pursued the list until May when I knew I'd be leaving the country for the next 3 years with Maryknoll Lay Missioners. I didn't want to leave it incomplete and I wanted to maximize the opportunities to get out with the Brat Pack. Saturday's finisher on Sneffels became one of those days in the planning for the past few months. Sneffels was meant to be Jeff's finisher party, then we decided I'd finish there, too, then Rob, and Tyler. Sadly, it didn't happen as we thought it would; we were down two great climbers and, more importantly, great friends. For me becoming a "finisher" wasn't a moment of complete exhilaration. I couldn't help but notice their absence. While Tyler will get out there in a few months to continue pursuing his goals, Rob's torch was entrusted to us. Those of us from the Brat Pack called Rob's dad on the summit to let him know we reach the summit - we reached it for Rob - and he was a finisher. It was an emotional moment 2.67 miles above sea level. It was a moment we needed to share together. The Hagerman tragedy shattered our group to its core, but without a doubt, it forged a bond that I appreciate beyond words. While this finisher was not what I expected nor was it a chance to revel in the accomplishment, it was a profound moment of reflection realizing how fortunate I am to be part of this amazing group of people.

God speed everyone,
~Greg

The finishers:

The Brat Pack:

The Family:
Last edited by Fisching on Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."
"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."
"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."
SurfNTurf
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (25)
13er Checklist (58)

Postby SurfNTurf » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:35 pm

(I'll try to keep this reasonably short, since a TR is, of course, in the making.)

I'd go with the cliche opening of "not knowing where to begin," but that wouldn't be true. I know exactly where to begin: by thanking Rob. Without him, I don't think it's a stretch to say I wouldn't have finished this summer, and perhaps not at all. He was my companion on many of the more difficult peaks. His positive outlook and climbing prowess inspired everyone around him, including me. It wasn't rare for me to be staring helplessly at a difficult move, only to have Rob show the way, often with some funny quip that calmed my nerves. Rob had only a handful of peaks left -- the Chicago Basin and Sneffels -- and between Greg and I, we visited all five summits after Rob's accident. We were acutely aware of carrying his torch. If it's all right with y'all, I'll go ahead and refer to Rob as the third finisher on Mt. Sneffels. He was on the summit with us, after all. We all felt it.

The 14ers are often looked down upon as easy or referred to as Mountaineering 101, and that may be true. What I've spent the past few days reflecting most on, rather than the peaks themselves, is the journey. It's funny to look at where I was three years ago, when I somehow dragged my out-of-shape ass up 3.95 Fourteeners in the summer of 2009, and then to look at myself now. I'm a completely different person. Not because of work, relationships, relocations and so on, but because of the 14ers and the people I've met on their lofty summits.

It's a daunting task to try to thank everyone. Impossible. I've gotten to know so many of you over the past few years and I count most of you as friends, even if we've only shared a happy hour beer together. Thank you is in order, really, for this entire website. Even those of you who have busted my chops or disagreed, you've helped me learn and become a more self-aware, competent person and mountaineer.

I had the pleasure of summiting 14ers with Rob Jansen, Greg Fischer, Ben Shulman, Dillon Sarnelli, Tyler Prince, Dan McCool, James Graham, Bill Wood, Brian Thomas, Ryan Kushner, Steve Lynn, Zack Ballard, Emily Hendrick, Mandy Miller, Clay Wyatt, Matt Ellis, Matt Grabina, Otina Fox, Darrin Nicholas, Kara Bauman, Noel Finta-Johnson, Chuck Erle, Kris Holub, Kelli Robertson, Kim Fischer, Chris Fischer, Will Davis, Andrew Knox, Megan Howington, Breanna Dunn, Amy Tedoff, Katie Kaplan, Milan Urban, Andrew Reed, Ryan Marsters, Sam Holster, Tim Nuanes, Ally Seeley, Matthew and Apple Speth, Amber Kirchmer, Joni States, ChrisinAZ, Brian Nechols, RC LeFevre, Leah (MtnGoats), Chris (sevenvii), Trainer Keri, Joe Baldwin, Terry Mathews, Natalie Moran, Tony Vazquez, Jim Schermerhorn, Keith Kiggins, Nick Gianoutsos, Eric Sangueza, Jen Bruce, Marcia McCarroll, Emma McVey, Brian Priest, Vince Mowery, Lisa Miller, Abe Rigeb, Vicki Hale, Paige Beilby, Nick (mountainjam), Loki the Dog, Jenny Saylor, Jim (Yikes), Annie DiMatteo, Karthik Venkatesh, Ben Mendenhall, Bryan Wilson, Tessa Snyder and Lindsay Pierce. You all helped me reach this goal in your own way. Thank you.

Damn that was hard, even with (minimal) notes. I know I left some folks about, so please accept an apology in advance. I didn't mean it. I stuck with 14ers only to keep this list from getting even longer, but I'm thankful for those who have shared 13ers with me as well, particularly Brian Crim and John Pedrosa for taking me on my first technical route and Aaron Johnson for being the man.

To Darrin Nicholas and James Graham, you may not know it, but I considered you my mentors. I hope to pay forward the kindnesses you showed me by helping others in turn.

To everyone who made the haul down to Ouray for the finisher this weekend, I can't put into words how much I appreciated it. Seeing that kind of support not only for Greg and I, but also for Rob, is something I'll carry with me forever. Much love.

To the Brat Pack, I have a feeling we have more than a few lifelong friendships brewing. Greg, I couldn't have picked a better person with whom to finish this quest. Let's turn the focus now to getting Tyler healthy and hiking again before he starts breaking his wrists or something. Seriously, get that guy some milk...

Finally, it isn't lost on me that many people die every year trying to complete the List of 58. I'm extremely grateful to have gotten through it safely. To all fallen mountaineers, and especially those who have touched me personally (Sean, Rob and Chris), you will never be far from my mind. Rest in peace, my brothers. The torch will always be carried.
Last edited by SurfNTurf on Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
SilverLynx
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (14)
13er Checklist (17)

Postby SilverLynx » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:09 pm

Thank you for the mention! :oops:

I will never forget that whiteout when we were on Democrat, and being so cold I could not even pull food out of my bag or take a summit photo. And then my eyes were freezing shut. And I was shivering so hard it took me over an hour to warm up again in an 800 fill down jacket. Don't ya just love winter?! :-D

Congrats Jeff and Greg. 8)
We owe it to ourselves and to the next generation to conserve the environment so that we can bequeath our children a sustainable world that benefits all.
Wangari Maathai
SurfNTurf
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (25)
13er Checklist (58)

Postby SurfNTurf » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:55 pm

314243_10100227384426986_669337366_n.jpg
Greg tops out on #58.
314243_10100227384426986_669337366_n.jpg (141.48 KiB) Viewed 475 times

262826_682792820882_1672499165_n.jpg
Group shot.
262826_682792820882_1672499165_n.jpg (85.95 KiB) Viewed 475 times

2902_10100227389945926_337641543_n.jpg
Climb on, indeed. Special Dale's cans.
2902_10100227389945926_337641543_n.jpg (53.33 KiB) Viewed 475 times
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
cftbq
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (24)

Postby cftbq » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:02 pm

Congratulations; well done!
I have been to the mountaintop, and I have seen the force
and the power that animates the universe. That may not
match up with your anthropomorphic or teleological idea of
what "god" is, but it's good enough for me.
Crusty
14er Checklist (55)

Postby Crusty » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:28 pm

Based on the pics, it wasn't a total sausage fest up there. Congrats!

Return to “General Mountaineering Discussion”