77,000 acre Blanca area easement

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
This forum is for general, mountaineering-related topics. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Tory Wells
14er Checklist (46)
13er Checklist (21)

77,000 acre Blanca area easement

Postby Tory Wells » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:20 am

Conservationist and billionaire Louis Bacon recently donated 77,000 acres from his Trinchera Ranch to the new Sangre de Cristo Conservation Area. For those more familiar with the geography of the area, does this change/better the access to the Blanca group?
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_21547971/sangre-de-cristo-conservation-area-created-donation-easement
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
Greenhouseguy
14er Checklist (40)
14ers in Winter (7)
13er Checklist (113)

Re: 77,000 acre Blanca area easement

Postby Greenhouseguy » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:42 am

I'm not sure that "donated" is the right word, but it was still a generous move. He still owns the land, and it was not taken off of the county's tax rolls. He basically agreed to give up his development rights to the property in perpetuity. Since he still owns the land, it does not affect public access. The summits of Little Bear, Blanca, and Lindsey are on his OTHER mega-ranch, the Blanca Ranch. He is currently negotiating a deal that will make that part of a conservation easement that will stretch all the way to the New Mexico border. It's a huge deal for migratory animals. Again, he will still own the land and the deal does not address access issues.
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston
Tory Wells
14er Checklist (46)
13er Checklist (21)

Postby Tory Wells » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:34 pm

Great info. Thanks Greenie!
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
schrund
14er Checklist (58)
13er Checklist (1)

Postby schrund » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:52 pm

Wow I did not know those summits were on private property, thanks for the low-down
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief
SteveBonowski
14er Checklist Not Entered

Postby SteveBonowski » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:46 am

Mr. Bacon does own the summit of Lindsey. Current maps show the property line bisecting the summits of Little Bear & Blanca. Meaning the south sides are private and the north sides are on USFS land. Would be interesting to know if these have been re-surveyed by Mr. Bacon's staff.

Some of the land on the Trinchera Ranch was subdivided by the Forbes family beginning in the 1970s and has other owners. I don't know how much. I recall seeing ads in Business Week magazine in the 1970s for Sangre de Cristo Ranches.

It is a great move for wildlife. Assuming the property owners between Bacon property and Ted Turner's Vermijo Ranch all join in, there will be an unbroken stretch of private and wild land from north of US 160 well south into New Mexico.

Return to “General Mountaineering Discussion”