Hardest 14er? 2012

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
This forum is for general, mountaineering-related topics. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Rcizzle
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (6)
13er Checklist (4)

Re: Hardest 14er? 2012

Postby Rcizzle » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:37 pm

Here's my list of the top five.
1. Little Bear (crappy route, easy route finding, RT with road, exposure plus widow makers)
2. Maroon (horrible route finding, LONG day trip, monotonous, physically demanding,)
3. Mt. Wilson (long, difficult route finding, though there is more than one way to the summit, awkward exposure on standard route)
4. Capitol (fairly long, Lots of exposure on knife ridge, mostly solid, difficult route finding around K2, Spelling Capitol)
5. Snowmass Mountain (RT, Exposure, widow makers)
Bad decisions make good stories.
DeucesWild
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (1)

Postby DeucesWild » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:46 pm

gdthomas wrote:Appreciate the beta Douches.

Anything for my buddy Quixote.

...Not Quite Epitaph Deuce
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

www.deuceIRA.com. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!
rockdoc53
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (1)

Postby rockdoc53 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:33 pm

Depends on the meaning of hardest.

Hardest on my feet and calories- Pikes Peak (26 miles in a day).
Pucker factor is probably the hourglass of Little Bear (wet and rockfall).
Hardest technical climbing - I did Crestone Needle via Ellingwood Arete route.
Capitol has the most sustained exposure.
Most difficult geology - Pyramid/Maroon are loose piles of sedimentary rock.
Hardest on your wallet - Culebra.
:-D
MUni Rider
14er Checklist (49)

Postby MUni Rider » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:11 pm

You would need to consult a geologist to answer this question. None of them are made from sandstone, or talc. Most seem to have a lot of granite, so I would guess that most are pretty close to the same hardness. I don't think this changes much from year to year, so 2012 shouldn't be a factor.

Hope this helps.

Edit:

Doh! I see that this was an old thread that someone drudged up. Oh well. Happens.

Necromancer2.jpg
Necromancer2.jpg (46 KiB) Viewed 835 times
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)
lackerstef
14er Checklist (49)
13er Checklist (3)

Postby lackerstef » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:40 pm

rockdoc53 wrote:Hardest on your wallet - Culebra.
:-D

I'd say the Chicago Basin is hardest on the wallet if you don't want a 30mi RT just as an approach.
NickJ
14er Checklist (57)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (9)

Postby NickJ » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:07 am

This is subjective. You have to find out for yourself. For me it was S. Maroon. Rock fall, route-finding, effort. I found S. Maroon considerably more challenging than N. Maroon or Pyramid or Capitol. And I found all these more challenging than Little Bear. But S. Maroon was my 10th 14er so maybe that plays into this. Probably does. Still, it was, hands-down, the most difficult. For me, the most difficult move on any 14er was near the summit of Mt. Wilson. I probably found a difficult way to do this move. Maybe it would be easier if I went back. Pick a dry late summer or early Fall weekday to climb Little Bear. Pick a day when no one is on the mountain. Don't go with a crowd.

Return to “General Mountaineering Discussion”