Your Summer Goals?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
This forum is for general, mountaineering-related topics. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
milan
14er Checklist (57)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (84)

Re: Your Summer Goals?

Postby milan » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:41 am

It was my last season in Colorado and my goal as I wrote May 2nd was:
1) At the end have at least 100 peaks over 4000m with at least 100 m prominence.
2) Get as many peaks with prominence over 500 m as possible (with summit over 4000 m, there are 55 in Colorado).
3) Maybe finish 53 ranked 14ers on the way and knock down some centennial 13ers but it depends on my condition, priority is Chicago Basin (including Jupiter), Wilsons, Crestones, some Elks (Snowmass, Maroons).
4) A week somewhere in San Juans out of people, hiking 13ers around....

1) Done, got to 105, the most difficult was when at about #91 I recalculated feet to meters and had to delete about 6 mountains from my list (Mt. Bross, Challenger pt. Mt. Evans B, Mt. Wheeler and other beautiful summits). Still, made it and Pyramid was my centennial # 100.
2) Soft goal, of course I did everything to hike many of them. I end up at # 34 of them.
3) Failed, but not badly at all. I have 52 of 53 or 57 of 58. I hiked Eolus, N. Eolus, Sunlight, Windom; Snowmass; Mt. Wilson, Wilson Pk.; N.Maroon, Pyramid, S. Maroon, El Diente; Culebra, Creston Pk., Creston Needle; Capitol.... In this order. From centennials, I hiked Edwards, Jupiter, Crystal, Clinton, Buckskin, Horseshoe, Dyer, Hope.
4) Not a complete week but I spent 5 days in Chicago Basin and on the way in and out from Purgatory, and I spent 4 days in and around Kilpacker Basin.

In addition to that. This season, started in February and finished in August by moving to Europe,
1. I hiked 15 14ers, most of the juicy stuff.
2. I hiked 56 13ers, 40 ranked (37 of prominence more than 100 m); most of them solo.
3. I am proud of hiking "Mummy Mania"
4. I fought my fear of snow/ice (that I had had since my fall on Pikes in 2009) by snowclimbing Hopeful Culoir.
5. I hiked with good friends and I found many great new friends.

Overall, it was probably the best mountain year of my entire life. And I plann to return for Little Bear. Hopefully next season.
DeucesWild
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (1)

Postby DeucesWild » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:55 am

milan wrote:1. I hiked 15 14ers, most of the juicy stuff.
2. I hiked 56 13ers, 40 ranked (37 of prominence more than 100 m); most of them solo.
3. I am proud of hiking "Mummy Mania"
4. I fought my fear of snow/ice (that I had had since my fall on Pikes in 2009) by snowclimbing Hopeful Culoir.
5. I hiked with good friends and I found many great new friends.

Overall, it was probably the best mountain year of my entire life.

Quite the accomplishment, Milan. =D>
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

www.deuceIRA.com. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!
TravelingMatt
14er Checklist (56)
13er Checklist (355)

Postby TravelingMatt » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:56 am

TravelingMatt wrote:Finish the 53/54 ranked 14ers.

Done.

Knock off the remaining dozen or so "non-ridiculous" centennials I have left.

Partially done. Ended up with about eight of them. Leaving Gladstone gives me a reason to back to the Wilsons. Leaving Meeker provides an opportunity to go back to Longs.

Take at least a couple trips to the Sangres. In addition to the two centennials I have remaining there are several appealing ridge hikes where one can bag multiple lower 13ers.

Not done.

Sawatch: Only stuff I'm really interested in are the 13ers around Holy Cross, Iowa/Emerald, and Aetna.

Done, done and done.

Gores: Eagles Nest, C, East Partner and a couple others I haven't decided on yet.

C not done, everything else done.

More generally, I wanted to get to 150 13ers. That may or may not still happen.

Find a real job. This is going to to be the hardest one.

Not done :(
AC 0000000
denvermikey
14er Checklist (49)
13er Checklist (50)

Postby denvermikey » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:01 am

I had a very aggressive (for me) goal to finish the list of 58. That would have meant 20 14er summits. Thought it would be a perfect year for it with the dry conditions and early season. Met up with a fellow 14er.com member for a nice warm-up hike in early June of Clinton/Traver/McNamee. On the way down from the last peak, Traver, I cranked my ankle really hard. Heard and felt the pop. The initial injury was bad enough but it was the ~4 mile hike back to the TH that really did me in. No break, but very bad sprain. Oh the pretty colors that it turned...
ankle.jpg
ankle.jpg (75.22 KiB) Viewed 295 times

Took nearly 3 months to get back to a point to where I could start hiking again. Most of my remaining 14ers were longer than I felt I could do initially so I started to add to my centennial list with some easier peaks like Edwards, Buckskin, Atlantic, Crystal, Horseshoe, plus other non-centennial peaks. The good part was that I was able to take my 10 year old son with me who is really starting to enjoy these hikes. I actually was able to get one 14er in - Wilson Peak.
Like I always say, the mountains aren't going anywhere. There will be next season, and the one after that, and the one after that....
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - Unknown
SolarAlex
14er Checklist (35)
14ers Skied (11)
14ers in Winter (4)
13er Checklist (75)

Postby SolarAlex » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:03 am

goals for the year

1) climb 20 new 14ers - climbed 9. sherman, evans, longs, elbert, massive, huron, missouri, belford, oxford. also got a few 13ers in, which were some of my favorite outings of the year

2) do some class 3/4 routes - did the sawtooth, kelso, keyhole, father dyer, arapahoe traverse, and found them all to be pretty awesome.

3) learn to rockclimb - went from being unable to climb 5.6 (gym) in june to climbing 10 a/b now, which im thrilled about. I have climbed up to 5.9 outside, and now am starting to learn how to lead (sport and gym)...scary

i met some cool people in the mountains and from this forum this year and did some cool stuff and had tons of tun, so really thats all that matters. super stoked for winter, ready to take on some more winter outings.
Vincit Qui Patitur
Dark Helmet
14er Checklist (1)

Postby Dark Helmet » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:27 am

I had some pretty simple goals:

1st 14er: Pikes Peak via Barr Trl 10/5

Solo a Summit: Twin Sisters 9/26

Get my Son Above Treeline: Chasm Lake 9/28

First Summit with my son: Lily Mtn 9/27

Next year will be a bit more involved: Preliminary goal is 5 14ers and 10 Summits (12K+). 1st 14er for my son, and 3 summits with him. 1st Summit with Daughter #1.

all commuting from SE Nebraska...
Chicago Transplant
14er Checklist (56)
14ers Skied (10)
14ers in Winter (23)
13er Checklist (575)

Postby Chicago Transplant » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:21 am

Chicago Transplant wrote:Of course to be safe and have fun, and just enjoy every moment I can!

As far as "lists" are concerned...

Finish Centennials (Jagged and Rio Grande Pyramid left)
Finish Summit County ranked summits (10 peaks left)
Finish Eagle County ranked summits (14 peaks left)
Finish Eagles Nest Wilderness ranked peaks (7 peaks left)
Finish Holy Cross Wilderness ranked peaks (8 peaks left)
Reach 100 13ers in the San Juan (I have 80/250 right now)
Finish the second lap on the Sawatch 14ers (Yale and Oxford left)

Note that some of these lists actually overlap with each other, so its not as many peaks as it sounds like, for example Peak G is in Eagles Nest Wilderness on the Summit/Eagle County border, so counts on 3 of my lists. Not sure how many of these goals I will actually accomplish, last year I only met one of my goals, I keep getting distracted by other things, I guess that goes back to goal number one about having fun :)

Well to start with, I was safe, had fun, and enjoyed every moment I could :-D

On the lists, I finished the Centennials and finished Eagle County. I have 9 left in Summit, 6 left in Eagles Nest Wilderness. and 3 left in Holy Cross Wilderness, but I may still make some progress on those lists this fall. We'll see.

My San Juan 13ers are now at 106/250. I call any year with 26 new San Juan 13ers a huge success, I guess having better gas mileage got me down there more than I thought I would! Next year I should hit the halfway point on that range, which will feel pretty darn awesome.

I still have the same two 14ers to finish the second lap on the Sawatch, but I will get Oxford sometime in the next few weeks and Yale this winter.

Aside from that, I just kept on climbing a bunch of new stuff, and a few repeats too. Not sure how many were actually in "summer", but 149 total ranked so far this year, should get a few more in before the resorts open, we'll see what the weather has to say about which ones. That and how far I feel like driving!
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Return to “General Mountaineering Discussion”