Your Summer Goals?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
This forum is for general, mountaineering-related topics. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
12ersRule
14er Checklist (58)
13er Checklist (123)

Re: Your Summer Goals?

Postby 12ersRule » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:04 pm

How's the pup doing?

I met my primary goal, and also managed to summit a surprising number of 12ers. I'm still plugging away on one objective this year, 100 ranked peaks. I'm 1 week behind pace, but hopefully, will get some good multi peak days in before the new year.
DaveSwink
14er Checklist (37)
14ers in Winter (12)
13er Checklist (4)

Postby DaveSwink » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:01 pm

dswink wrote:1. Castle/Conundrum Peaks

No joy - turned around after my foot slipped twice on ice/loose rock. Next year without the ice..... :-D

dswink wrote:2. Mt Sneffels

Did not get to it, but I climbed Wetterhorn as an alternate.

dswink wrote:3. Uncompahgre Peak........done!

4. Blanca Peak...........done!

5. Culebra Peak..........done!

6. Lots of repeats in Sawatch, Front Range, Mosquito & Ten Mile ranges with friends..........done!

7. Fear the Deer half marathon...........finished! very fun!

8. Mount Evans Ascent race (bit over half marathon)...........finished! very challenging

9. Pikes Peak Ascent race (half marathon)............finished! this was one of the hardest physical accomplishments of my life :shock:

10. Boulder Marathon (getting into fall goals now)...........next weekend!

11. Get back to leading 5.7 - 5.8 rock climbs...........done!

12. Finally get in that 14er with Deucie that he keeps promising..........this one got away from me. The incident with Missy left me with nightmares of having to abandon Deuceswild on a 14er :lol:
MatB
14er Checklist (17)
13er Checklist (59)

Postby MatB » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:14 pm

1. 2 short of original goal of 30 13ers (ranked or unranked).

2. Make sound decisions while in the mountains (fail, made one terrible decision)

3. Visit a new (unvisited by me) mountain range or wilderness: Wind River Range, WY
"Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived,'"
- Dalai Lama, when asked about what surprises him the most about humanity
d_baker
14er Checklist (57)
14ers in Winter (12)
13er Checklist (196)

Postby d_baker » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:17 pm

dswink wrote:12. Finally get in that 14er with Deucie that he keeps promising..........this one got away from me. The incident with Missy left me with nightmares of having to abandon Deuceswild on a 14er :lol:

Would that be a bad thing?

I don't recall having any specific summer goals, but I had a good one all the same while I was able to be here in CO....

Some highlights....
Pk L
Pk 15
XYZ & Z Prime
Arrowhead & McHenrys
SilverLynx
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (14)
13er Checklist (17)

Postby SilverLynx » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:24 pm

I've met my goal for the year already but I hope to surpass it by year's end. My goal at the beginning of the year was to do 20 more 14ers during 2012. I did 21 new 14ers beginning in January, putting me at one over the half-way point. I was able to repeat Longs Peak with employees at my dad's company which was quite the adventure. Another goal I had was to do more Class 3 and try a Class 4. Did both but not as much as I would have liked to. I have improved in some areas but still need a lot of work in others. I'm looking forward to my second winter season, and taking time to enjoy some repeats and 13ers in the snow. One of the most rewarding and exciting things I did this year was help three other people do their very first 14ers. This summer was good to me. 8)
Attachments
GraysPk2012.jpg
Me with my uncle on his first 14er: Grays Peak
GraysPk2012.jpg (116.22 KiB) Viewed 335 times
We owe it to ourselves and to the next generation to conserve the environment so that we can bequeath our children a sustainable world that benefits all.
Wangari Maathai
zephyr_pelicante
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (14)

Postby zephyr_pelicante » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:12 pm

I want to be able to comfortably get holy cross before I even think about longs (which I may defer to next summer if I can't find someone experienced to guide me).

^^ An excerpt from an email to my Dad a few months ago.

I just passed 125k last weekend and got Longs (4x), S. Maroon, and both Crestones, good summer for me as well. I thought I was hot stuff until I met sgladbach who has literally climbed thousands of peaks.

Amazing summer and I look forward to next one! I expected diminishing marginal utility from 14ers but haven't experienced it yet. Each one is so unique and every climb seems to appreciate in hindsight.
aliciaf
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (2)
13er Checklist (10)

Postby aliciaf » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:26 pm

My goal this year was to get to 25 14ers and I met that today on Huron. I also wanted to get more Class 3/4 experience and I was able to get the NW Ridge on Lindsey in this year along with a couple other Class 3 hikes. Hoping to continue hiking 14ers and also 13ers into the winter to get some good snow experience. Now that I've met my goal of 25, I would like to get to 29 14ers (halfway point) by the end of the year if all goes well.
Tornadoman
14er Checklist (43)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (26)

Postby Tornadoman » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:25 pm

My goals were to reach the halfway point in my 14er quest (getting at least 6 more to get to 29 total), and to reach at least one summit in the Elks and Sangre De Cristos. I ended up getting in 8 peaks to push me to 31 and hit peaks. I climbed Blanca, Ellingwood, Culebra, and Humboldt in the Sangres, Castle and Conundrum in the Elks, and Princeton and Antero for extra credit! I am already thinking about next Summer!
DeucesWild
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (1)

Postby DeucesWild » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:49 pm

dswink wrote:12. Finally get in that 14er with Deucie that he keeps promising..........this one got away from me.

Ok, Swinker, I admit that I was totally at fault for you not reaching your summer goals. I apologize unreservedly. I commit myself to working with enthusiasm to find that opportunity for us to share a summit or too.

dswink wrote:The incident with Missy left me with nightmares of having to abandon Deuceswild on a 14er
d_baker wrote:Would that be a bad thing?

Mr. Baker is just cratchety, which is what old guys do generally, but because he is deprived of his mountains, I won't hold this intemperate question against him.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

www.deuceIRA.com. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!
killstorm
14er Checklist (8)
13er Checklist (56)

Postby killstorm » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:27 am

Didn't have any particular CO goals this summer, but did get in 1 14er, 19 13ers, and 5 12ers.

The goal for the summer was to get back to the Owens Valley and Sierra-Nevada. I went there for a month for work several years ago in the late winter and had loved the area and wanted to get back in the summer season. Finally made it back this year and it was spectacular! Also got in a quick trip to the northern Cascades for the first time and the scenery was even better (to me anyway).
Gareth
14er Checklist (25)
13er Checklist (22)

Postby Gareth » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:33 am

I didn't have any real goals for this year other than to try to make it out to the mountains hopefully at least a couple of times. This summer was tricky because I also had other trips to different places that I knew were going to hamper my opportunities of making mountain trips. I'm happy to say, that at the end of the season, I did better than I'd have guessed I would.

I returned to an area in the New Mexican Sangres that I hadn't been to for sixteen years, got to hear elk bugling, broke in my new Dutch oven that was a Christmas gift, hiked up my first New Mexican 12er, and to make the trip even better, my girlfriend didn't get all that sick (she is horrible about getting sick in the mountains).

I got an unexpected crowing glory for the season two weeks ago when I knocked off all of the Tenmile/Mosquito Range 14ers in 31 hours (all firsts). I know that's nothing for a lot of people, but I wasn't sure that I'd be fit enough to do anything after the Decalibron. It took some self-motivation that I hadn't had to access before in the mountains, but I finished the task. And in the process, I also did my first night time, full moon hike up a 14er, Quandary. (It also gave me a deeper appreciation for the athletic supermen and women who go after things like Nolan's and the 14er speed record)
"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second."
- William James
I Man
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (49)
13er Checklist (73)

Postby I Man » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:38 am

I wanted to climb Mt Rainier and The Grand Teton and I was able to complete both in July and August respectively. I also made many new friends and a ton of lasting memories. What a summer it was! 8)
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Return to “General Mountaineering Discussion”