Your Summer Goals?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
This forum is for general, mountaineering-related topics. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TravelingMatt
14er Checklist (56)
13er Checklist (355)

Re: Leave No Trace

Postby TravelingMatt » Thu May 03, 2012 10:22 am

Brian Thomas wrote:
bandofbrothersomaha wrote:Leading 175 men and young men up La Plata Peak in late July ... Leading 75 men up Oxford/Belford combo in late July

I looked at your website and think that's great what you're doing, but have you considered the impact on trails, erosion, et cetera of taking 175 people up the mountain? And how would you feel if during your planned solo ascents of Yale and Missouri there were 175 other people on the summit with you?

That's an ordinary weekend day on Quandary. And I'd never expect solitude on a Sawatch 14er in the summer.

Better he take that many people up a mountain with a well-established trail and with easy road access than something more remote on sketchier terrain.
AC 0000000
Brian Thomas
14er Checklist (58)

Re: Your Summer Goals?

Postby Brian Thomas » Thu May 03, 2012 10:59 am

milan wrote:do you have a list of those 4000 m peaks with 200 m of prominence?

No, but I'm working on it. The summitpost 13ers page lists 547 peaks above 4000 meters (13,123 feet and 4.31 inches) with 100 feet of prominence, just guessing that the 200 meter prominence cutoff would reduce that list by about half.

dswink wrote:Don't you have to climb in Europe for that?

If it was truly European it would be 4000metres.org, but since the website will be devoted to peaks in the USA, I registered the domain 4000meters.org. It is also registered as a .org domain as I will be incorporating as a tax-exempt 501(c)(3) organization for charitable and educational purposes.

Note that both the 4000metres.org and 4000metres.eu domains are still available if interested...
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan
Gabriel
14er Checklist (36)

Postby Gabriel » Thu May 03, 2012 2:52 pm

In early July Alpine climbs and via Ferrara in Austria and Italy

Late July and August Climbs in the Indian Himalaya.

G
sunny1
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (4)
13er Checklist (122)

Postby sunny1 » Thu May 03, 2012 3:41 pm

1. Out
2. Up
3. Down

Maybe "finish" my 1st round on the 14ers this year, depending how much #1-3 success I have. :wink:
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
12ersRule
14er Checklist (58)
13er Checklist (123)

Postby 12ersRule » Thu May 03, 2012 4:21 pm

sunny1 wrote:1. Out
2. Up
3. Down

No Grand Canyon or Black Canyon of the Gunnison trip in your summer plans then? That would be:

1) Out
2) Down
3) Up

I don't blame you. Too hot in the summer.

I may have a similar summer goal to you as far as 14ers go, but I've probably just jinxed it. Other than that, just see a lot of new exciting places. Utah - Kings Peak, Montana - Granite Peak, or Nevada - Wheeler Peak would be a really nice trip.
sunny1
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (4)
13er Checklist (122)

Postby sunny1 » Thu May 03, 2012 7:54 pm

49ersRule wrote:No Grand Canyon or Black Canyon of the Gunnison trip in your summer plans then? That would be:

1) Out
2) Down
3) Up

I don't blame you. Too hot in the summer.

I may have a similar summer goal to you as far as 14ers go, but I've probably just jinxed it. Other than that, just see a lot of new exciting places. Utah - Kings Peak, Montana - Granite Peak, or Nevada - Wheeler Peak would be a really nice trip.

Nope, don't want to sear my rear. :wink: Nor sizzle my schnoz.
Nah, you'd jinx yourself if you start assigning dates to your remaining peaks.
Good ambitions on your to-do list!
Last edited by sunny1 on Thu May 03, 2012 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
rhinos00
14er Checklist (5)
13er Checklist (4)

Postby rhinos00 » Thu May 03, 2012 8:04 pm

Here are a few goals I have for the summer:

1) summit Mount Blanca and complete a successful traverse to Ellingwood (and get some fly fishing in)

2) complete at least one class 3 climb before the end of July --- eyeing Longs, Pacific Peak, and Kelso Ridge

3) survive my trip to the Weminuche at the end of July --- climbing Storm King, Silex, and Guardian

4) revisit Lakes of the Clouds for some fly fishing, but this time summit Spread Eagle Peak

Really looking forward to this summer. Can't wait!
saxlover
14er Checklist (56)
13er Checklist (1)

Postby saxlover » Fri May 04, 2012 7:21 am

BenfromtheEast wrote:
saxlover wrote:dmb @ alpine
dmb @ gorge

Nice!
I'm heading for Hartford, Scranton, SPAC N1, St. Louis, and Gorge. Might add another here or there.
I have extras for the Gorge.
Oh yeah, might climb a little, too.

sweet, sounds some of the years ive done in the past. just moved back home to colorado in october, plus have baby so wont be able to hit all the shows i want. they will be playing 3 nights at dicks sporting goods park the weekend before labor dave weekend.
Andrew Tobin
Mountain Ninja
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (22)
13er Checklist (55)

Postby Mountain Ninja » Fri May 04, 2012 6:45 pm

timf wrote:What about you ninja? :D

Tim, you're very thoughtful :) And nice goals you have, my friend!

Mine: nothing that hasn't already been said, the cliche answers... except: Get my wife up a 14er with me! Shouldn't be too hard; she's in great shape now. But since my friends Aaron & James got me into mountain climbing a few summers ago, I haven't been able to share these incredible experiences with her, because she's been too busy... having our two awesome boys!! :)

Love you, babe!

Now let's get out there.
A little pain never hurt anyone.

Karate Training Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmmGEdQ_JeE
JA_son27
14er Checklist (54)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (2)

Postby JA_son27 » Fri May 04, 2012 7:30 pm

I hope to finish. Things have not worked out well for me lately and just hoping for 5 specific summits.
"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."
Matt 25:40
livetothemax96
14er Checklist (10)
14ers Skied (5)
14ers in Winter (3)
13er Checklist (14)

Postby livetothemax96 » Fri May 04, 2012 8:12 pm

Mont Blanc!
whats life unless you live it?
Jesse M
14er Checklist (24)
13er Checklist (15)

Postby Jesse M » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:14 pm

Jesse M wrote:A puppy has recently come into my life, changed all my plans. I look to take him up some of the ranked peaks in El Paso county. I am also plannning revenge on Ice Mountain, along with some Sawatch 14ers I have left. I am looking to visit some hot springs and get some cousins from MN up a their first 14er. Should be a great summer, good luck and be safe!

Thought I would revive this thread, the forum is slow this weekend. My post makes me laugh, I didn't do anything this summer that I thought I would last May. I kinda got hooked on the thirteeners and only did one fourteener.
1. Ouray
2. Silverheels
3. Weston and Ptarmagin
4. Fletcher
5. Loveland and Buckskin
6. Hope...only solo hike of summer
7. A few non summit hikes in the Sangres and Tenmile ranges
8. Democrat, only 14er

How did you all live up to your summer goals? What did you hike this summer?

Return to “General Mountaineering Discussion”