You Might Be a Mountain Climber If...

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
This forum is for general, mountaineering-related topics. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MtnHub
14er Checklist (28)
13er Checklist (22)

Re: You Might Be a Mountain Climber If...

Postby MtnHub » Thu May 30, 2013 7:48 pm

Ah! Thanks for resurrecting this great thread, Susan! I was actually thinking about doing it recently too.

EZSide quoted: [i]You know how many reps it takes to get to 3,000’ vert. on each of 5 major stair sets in your local town.[/i

On the same order:

... you know how many flights of stairs at your local hospital are equivalent to 4000' gain so you can gauge your progress in prep for your CO vacation.
susanjoypaul
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (87)

Postby susanjoypaul » Fri May 31, 2013 6:40 am

MtnHub wrote:... you know how many flights of stairs at your local hospital are equivalent to 4000' gain so you can gauge your progress in prep for your CO vacation.

...and are slightly appalled by the number of seemingly healthy people at work who use the handicap button to open the door at the building entrance - then head straight for the elevator, Big Gulp in hand.

You've been "talked to" at work, because "Friday" is the day you:

- Use the company Internet to check 14ers.com, LoJ, NOAA, CDOT, and CAIC for last-minute conditions

- Use the company printer to print out your final itineraries

- Use the company plotter to print out your final maps

- Use the company scissors to trim your fingernails... ...and toenails... ...at your desk

Guilty!
GregMiller
14er Checklist (30)
14ers Skied (4)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (18)

Postby GregMiller » Fri May 31, 2013 7:39 am

You get pulled over at 3 A.M., and after looking in the back of your car on the way up, the first question from the police officer is not "Sir, have you been drinking?" but rather "What mountain are you headed up?"
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
Lemmiwinks
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (10)
13er Checklist (86)

Postby Lemmiwinks » Fri May 31, 2013 7:55 am

susanjoypaul wrote:
You've been "talked to" at work, because "Friday" is the day you:

- Use the company Internet to check 14ers.com, LoJ, NOAA, CDOT, and CAIC for last-minute conditions

- Use the company printer to print out your final itineraries

- Use the company plotter to print out your final maps

- Use the company scissors to trim your fingernails... ...and toenails... ...at your desk

Guilty!

Just Friday?!? How about Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
SurfNTurf
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (25)
13er Checklist (58)

Postby SurfNTurf » Fri May 31, 2013 8:19 am

Your apartment doesn't have traditional wall decorations, just creatively arranged hanging gear.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
SilverLynx
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (14)
13er Checklist (17)

Postby SilverLynx » Fri May 31, 2013 9:31 am

One of your bedroom walls has a framed poster with pictures of all the 14ers, and another wall has a big 14er pin map with your ice ax proudly displayed underneath it. You also have a picture of mountain goats hanging in your bedroom... :-D
We owe it to ourselves and to the next generation to conserve the environment so that we can bequeath our children a sustainable world that benefits all.
Wangari Maathai
TheOtherIndian
14er Checklist (50)
14ers in Winter (7)
13er Checklist (4)

Postby TheOtherIndian » Fri May 31, 2013 9:37 am

susanjoypaul wrote:

Guilty!

:shock: :wft:
"There's only one thing I hate more than lying. Skim milk. Which is water that's lying about being milk" -Swanson, Ron
susanjoypaul
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (87)

Postby susanjoypaul » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:01 am

Had to revive this thread after a recent incident.

You might be a mountain climber if...

...you are awakened in the middle of the night by the shrill chirping of a nocturnal marmot that has somehow gotten into your tent and appears to be hanging from the gear loft. You sit upright in your sleeping bag, your mind racing:

"What time is it?"
"What day is it?"
"Did I oversleep?"
"What peak am I doing today?"
"How the hell did that marmot get in my tent?"

The single, red eye of the marmot stares down. It blinks, he chirps again. You reach for your headlamp but instead your hand finds - an alarm clock?

Yup, it's Thursday. You are home in bed, and you need to replace the battery in your smoke alarm.
Nelson
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (8)
14ers in Winter (12)

Postby Nelson » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:42 am

...after a three week trip when it has rained every day you get stopped in Price on the way back to Salt Lake City for doing 70 in a 45 (the speed limit changes every quarter mile in Price). The police officer walks up to the car intent on giving you a ticket but when you lower the window his eyes start to water from the smell of stuff that his been wet and in your car the whole time. He steps 10 feet back and waves you on saying "Dude, slow down!"
JsinDeAZ
14er Checklist (36)
14ers in Winter (1)

Postby JsinDeAZ » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:43 am

You can't justify going to visit family but last second 14er trips...
-----------------------------
I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in. - John Muir

...I love not man the less, but Nature more... - Lord Byron
Pops921
14er Checklist (36)

Postby Pops921 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:10 am

You think your 18 month year old granddaughter has the best climbing form at the playground.

You are more interested in how long you have to wait to can take her climbing, then when you can take her to Disney world.
Not as young as I once was and not as old as I want to be.
Steve Climber
14er Checklist (27)
14ers in Winter (3)
13er Checklist (25)

Postby Steve Climber » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:18 am

GregMiller wrote:You get pulled over at 3 A.M., and after looking in the back of your car on the way up, the first question from the police officer is not "Sir, have you been drinking?" but rather "What mountain are you headed up?"

I can relate to this...multiple times.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Return to “General Mountaineering Discussion”