Your Nemesis (mountain)

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
This forum is for general, mountaineering-related topics. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
planet54
14er Checklist (58)
13er Checklist (20)

Your Nemesis (mountain)

Postby planet54 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:45 pm

Has a mountain defeated you a number of times? 14er ,13er anything goes. Is it too hard ,bad luck,bad weather,whatever?
Mine is Peak N in the Gore Range. 2 attempts and 2 humbling defeats. The first time I got lost , those familiar with the Gores will understand that. The second time a cut on my leg sent me home with my tail between my legs.
Misery loves company ,tell me your stories.
Last edited by planet54 on Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" At the heart of the climbing experience is a constant state of optimistic expectation." Galen Rowell
"Climbing K2 or floating the Grand Canyon in an innertube;there are some things one would rather have done than do." Edward Abbey
MtHurd
14er Checklist (57)
14ers in Winter (4)
13er Checklist (29)

Re: Your nemesis mountain

Postby MtHurd » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:07 pm

The most failures I had for any one 14er was twice. Shavano believe it or not. 2 lightning storms. The first one was the only 1 where I literally ran off the mountain. The second time I was on Tabeguache when the storm moved in so I had to bail on going to Shavano. I finally made it on my 3rd attempt, although a storm rolled in before we got back to the vehicle.
Dave B
14er Checklist Not Entered

Postby Dave B » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:08 pm

I've turned back on Mt Audubon thrice. :oops:

The only solace I take in that is that twice was on attempts from the winter road closure.
The mountains - whose summits reach or exceed arbitrary thresholds for elevation and prominence - are calling and I must go.

-John Muir
FireOnTheMountain
14er Checklist (53)
14ers Skied (1)
14ers in Winter (23)
13er Checklist (268)

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:11 pm

Princeton was kind of a pain for me. First time, too late of a start and turned around at Tigger, 2nd time buddy of mine (your ok dannyg23, I won't name names) was over zealous and decided he could drive up to the top of the road even after I said "maybe we should stop dude". Anyways, he got us stuck 300' from the radio towers. We tried to dig out that damn car for 4-5 hours only to get the front wheels literally off the road and on the downhill. Thank goodness some Qwest workers in a snowcat came out of the blue to work on the towers and winched us out using a pulley system we rigged up around a tree. Third time, got it solo tho (actually the day after the anonymous extreme offroader got it :D )
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO
scalba123
14er Checklist (9)
13er Checklist (1)

Postby scalba123 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:17 pm

Longs. I hate that %^&$# pile of tempting rocks!!!
sanjuanmtneer
14er Checklist (58)
13er Checklist (656)

Postby sanjuanmtneer » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:17 pm

S6 in the Sneffels range.
Didn't summit until attempt #4.
I call it "The Snake" (Verne mentions a Sea Serpent in his book the name Sneffles ("Snaefel" I think) comes from.

I looked at it from Mears but it was too late in the day.
I looked at it from S4, but didn't like the looks of that traverse. Yikes!
Third attempt was on the northeast ridge but that was a crumbling pile of talus, plus there was lightning on top at 7:30 in the morning.
One winter I spied a coluoir on the north face that looked like it would go in the right conditions and I went back in early June and was successful.
The nice thing about it is you top out just a few feet from the summit.

A funny story about another one is my 'attempts' at Rio Grande Pyramid.
On the first try I got broad-sided by a little old lady outside of Delta. Totaled my pickup and had to get 6 stitches in my head.

Here's the funny part: years later, at the trailhead I went to put my boots on and had two right ones.
So I wore my 'tennis shoes', backpacked to a treeline campsite and climbed a 13er nearby.
The next morning I did the 13er near the Window and had planned on RGP.
But had blisters the size of silver dollars on the bottom of each foot from wearing those shoes so went back to camp and home.
Never have gotten back there, dang it.
And my mind is made up,
To climb all the mountains,
Before my body's laid up,
And the night advances.
And the time is here.
(With deference to John Dillon)
12ersRule
14er Checklist (58)
13er Checklist (123)

Postby 12ersRule » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:19 pm

14er? Little Bear. 3 attempts at the Southwest Ridge. Fortunately, made it the 3rd time.

Other Colorado mountain? Navajo Peak in IPW. I did some stupid sh!t up there, and am lucky I'm here to talk about it.
Monster5
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (23)
13er Checklist (278)

Postby Monster5 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:27 pm

Pikes Peak.

Years ago back when I was young and good looking and nobody knew me. Attempted it once from Crag's expecting route-finding to be similar to G&T and wound up at Pancake Rocks absolutely lost. Attempted it New Years Day shortly after and learned a valuable lesson in wind and winter sun protection before turning back. Finally, succeeded the next winter.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
lordhelmut
14er Checklist (50)
14ers Skied (21)
14ers in Winter (5)
13er Checklist (250)

Postby lordhelmut » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:30 pm

Nokhu Crags in the Never Summers. i'm about ready to give up on that steaming pile of crap.
Presto
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (6)
13er Checklist (308)

Postby Presto » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:44 pm

Mt. Mamma - 3rd Time was a Charm ... conditions related (snow) ... all attempts and the success were on Mother's Day(s).
Long's Peak - 3rd Time was a Charm ... weather related (it was our 2nd 14er and we were not familiar with the weather patterns that exist on Long's ... turned around and by the time we were back to treeline, the bad weather had cleared) :x .
Coxcomb - 4th Time was a Charm ... I don't know if I can even count these as failures ... 2 times, we never got past where we car camped due to unending rain; the 3rd time, we made it to a higher camp, but again, were thwarted by rain. Not exactly a peak you want to do in the rain. :shock:
La Plata - 2nd Time was a Charm ... climbed the wrong thing :-s which ended up being okay since we transitioned to 13ers after we finished the 14ers (this was back in the mid-1980's so cut me a little slack on this one :-").
West Spanish Peak - 3rd Time was a Charm ... conditions related (snow) ... both times, we car camped on Cucharas Pass only to awaken to blizzard conditions (that's what you get sometimes with winter climbs).
Mt. Aetna - 2nd Time was a Charm ... weather related ... had summited Taylor and was on the way over to Aetna when we got pinned down by a freak early fall blizzard with lightning (hunkered down for awhile at the saddle before finally giving in and descending).
Mt. Silverheels - 2nd Time was a Charm ... weather related ... in the winter cross-country from Hoosier Pass ... turned into white-out conditions about 100 feet below the summit so we opted to descend (turned into one of those trips you never forget).

Okay, so I think I get the "gist" of this thread now ... you didn't want what was a pain in the *ss and then completed, you wanted to know what was haunting me now. ](*,) 8-[

So, that would be Granite in Montana. Broke my foot in the grocery store parking lot 3 days before we were supposed to leave to climb it. :roll:
Last edited by Presto on Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
Brian C
14er Checklist (45)
14ers in Winter (5)
13er Checklist (19)

Postby Brian C » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:46 pm

Lone Eagle turned me around and ended up being my "one that got away". It felt good to finally get back in there and get it.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
Mel McKinney
14er Checklist (29)

Postby Mel McKinney » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:47 pm

I used to say Massive. It took me 3 attempts - turned around once due to weather, the second time due to a head cold. When I summited the third time it just seemed to take forever to get back to the trailhead. We could see light reflecting on a windshield but it didn't get closer. (I didn't know about the SW Slopes route yet...). :oops: Would rather go straight up versus trapsing through the woods!

Now I'll say Columbia. The scree & dirt slog on the West Slopes. Basically the same turn around reasons - threat of weather and the start of the flu.
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")

"Nothing is so embarrassing as watching someone do something that you said couldn't be done."
---Sam Ewing

Return to “General Mountaineering Discussion”