All, thanks for sharing your results. I scored a 10. (For those who haven't taken the quiz to see the results, a score of 12-15 is considered average, celebrities tend to score closer to 18, and narcissists score 20+) My self-suffiency score was 5, "suggesting you are highly self-sufficient" - that may correlate with my enjoyment of solo hiking. My desire for vanity, authority, and to generally screw people over ranged from 0 to 1. Superiority a 2 (and I'm not proud of that). And though I enjoy posting TRs, my exhibitionism score (the need to be center of attention, and willingness to ensure it) was 0.
Is being narcissistic a bad thing?
There are good narcissists and bad narcissists. And the bad tend to be really bad: Hitler, Himmler, Stalin, Hussein, Kadafi, Vlad the Impaler...the History Channel is filled with stories of them.
Regardless of the results of the quiz, the true clinical diagnosis of narcissism is provided by the American Psychiatric Association, who say, "a patient must exhibit five or more of the following traits in order to be diagnosed with Narcissistic Personality Disorder:
- grandiose sense of self-importance
- preoccupation with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
- belief that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)
- need for excessive admiration
- sense of entitlement
- takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends
- lacks empathy
- often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her
- shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes