'Tis the Season!

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
This forum is for general, mountaineering-related topics. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
susanjoypaul
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (87)

Re: 'Tis the Season!

Postby susanjoypaul » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:43 am

These are great! The Moore's look like they just stepped out of a Christmas card (oh wait...) and, if I can imagine a bit of holly and cups of cocoa all around, are about to go Christmas caroling :-)

That ladybug picture is very cool, too. Looks like a big, shiny, ornament - nature's bulb for a hiker's Christmas tree. The Moab photo is actually quite spiritual. Just beautiful.

You guys are really getting me into the holiday spirit! I'm going to have to dig out my Bing Crosby records... and start baking more pies. Shopping even... maybe.

Hey, red and green emoticons - cool! It's a virtual string of Christmas tree lights - and they twinkle! :oops: :mrgreen: :oops: :mrgreen: :oops: :mrgreen:
(Okay, who spiked the coffee this morning?)
gdthomas
14er Checklist (58)

Postby gdthomas » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:29 am

Nice card SJP. We generally utilize the ski theme so the whole fam damnly can participate. Here's ours for this year hot off the press. We added the play on words "Jump For Joy" at the bottom. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

mtgirl
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (102)

Postby mtgirl » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:41 am

I used this photo on my Christmas cards this year (taken on the Tour D'Abyss). Too bad I don't have any Photoshop skills, or I could have put Santa hats on these cute little kids. 8)

"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
wonderwi
14er Checklist (52)

Postby wonderwi » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:20 pm

I used this photo on my Christmas cards this year (taken on the Tour D'Abyss). Too bad I don't have any Photoshop skills, or I could have put Santa hats on these cute little kids.

Great picdture!

They look great without the hats!

How close were you and where was mom?

Thanks for sharing. We've all enjoyed your photography. You've got
a great eye.
There are many things in life that will capture your eye, but very few that will capture your heart. These are the ones to pursue. These are the ones worth keeping. Author Unknown
mtgirl
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (102)

Postby mtgirl » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:53 am

wonderwi wrote:Great picdture!

They look great without the hats!

How close were you and where was mom?

Thanks for sharing. We've all enjoyed your photography. You've got
a great eye.

Thanks for the compliment ! Kinda funny, because we were nearly finished with the long day, and I remarked that I was surprised we hadn't seen any goats. We were about 10 minutes from our vehicle (parked a few switchbacks down below the summit of Mt. Evans) and I walked right by these baby goats hiding in the rocks. They were less than 15 feet away. Moms were off in the distance, posing for the herd of tourists parked alongside the road taking their pictures. The babies were being clever and hiding behind the rocks.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
susanjoypaul
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (87)

Postby susanjoypaul » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:27 am

gdthomas wrote:We generally utilize the ski theme so the whole fam damnly can participate. Here's ours for this year hot off the press. We added the play on words "Jump For Joy" at the bottom.

Very clever! Nice pic, too... a great way to jazz up that standard "standing around in the mountains" shot!

I agree with wonderwi - we really *do* enjoy your photography, mtgirl. And the goats are adorable. Some great cards here!

Here are two of the greatest voices of all time, with a classic carol to help get us in the holiday mood. Yeah, I know this has nothing to do with 14ers, but listening to these guys makes my heart sing... much like hiking in the mountains!

skiwall
14er Checklist (2)
13er Checklist (3)

Postby skiwall » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:58 pm

Those are totally awesome! I haven't done the photo cards yet, but on Sunday I ran into a situation that I feel is Christmas-card worthy:

IMG_3366.jpg
IMG_3366.jpg (86.27 KiB) Viewed 1030 times

My friends from the east keep telling me how fun it is the ski the river beds. :)
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08
Monster5
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (23)
13er Checklist (278)

Postby Monster5 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:53 pm

I just ordered personalized calendars from kinkos and they seem to be a pretty popular gift so far. The kinkos website lets you upload 13 photos (cover+monthly), insert text and important dates, and choose from a variety of layouts. Pretty easy process and makes a great gift for friends' familes and such. All in all, with good quality paper, it cost about $25 per calendar, which is a little bit higher than I'd like to spend. I'm wondering if it's cheaper to do in-store.

Ended up looking something like this (although with a manlier background):

Picture1.jpg
Picture1.jpg (75.82 KiB) Viewed 961 times
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
USAKeller
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (24)
14ers in Winter (21)
13er Checklist (109)

Postby USAKeller » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:34 pm

Awesome holiday photos Greg, Vicki, and everyone else!

susanjoypaul wrote:These are great! The Moore's look like they just stepped out of a Christmas card (oh wait...) and, if I can imagine a bit of holly and cups of cocoa all around, are about to go Christmas caroling :-)

Photoshop can do wonders - that was taken shortly after we woke up and opened gifts (of which my youngest brother gave us all K-State gear after signing with them!). :wink:
yorksman
14er Checklist (13)
13er Checklist (12)

Postby yorksman » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:22 pm

I decided to make a calendar for my immediate family, http://www.zazzle.com/colorado_2011_calendar-158984851543664402, plus I have sold a couple too. Have been meaning to do this for a few years. Also made a book on blurb for my wife, looks pretty dam sweet.
susanjoypaul
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (87)

Postby susanjoypaul » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:39 am

I know it's early - Christmas is still 44 days away - but it thought this would be a good time to resurrect this thread! If you design and order your Christmas cards now you'll have time to get them addressed and sent out by Thanksgiving. I just got mine and can't wait to get them out... even our bad outdoor photos make better cards than a lot of the traditional ones out there :-)
gonzalj
14er Checklist (40)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (13)

Postby gonzalj » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:47 am

Yeah I got my own customized calendars already printed and Christmas cards are on the way. Everyone seems to love them and admire all the georgeous landscapes we have around the state. Once I figure out how to minimize the sizes on my photos to upload here, I'll do it, but I have yet to figure that out.

Return to “General Mountaineering Discussion”