'Tis the Season!

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
This forum is for general, mountaineering-related topics. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
susanjoypaul
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (87)

'Tis the Season!

Postby susanjoypaul » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:18 am

I ordered my Christmas cards last night, and thought I'd share the final design.

Every year I pick a peak or two and use some of the photos to create a card on one of those photo sites (I use KodakGallery but there are many to choose from). This year I picked California 14er "Mount Russell," and Colorado sand dune "Star Dune," the tallest (but not highest) dune in North America. These were two of the many highlights of my year - and I think the photos tell a better story than any Christmas letter I could ever write!

My family loves getting these cards. They're among the few that don't get tossed after the holiday. So, this year, forget about dressing your family in matching sweaters and posing them in front of the fireplace. Show the relatives what it's *really* like to live here in Colorado! And if your family doesn't participate in your outdoor activities, just use pictures of yourself and photoshop everyone else in. (I would have but I think my kids are allergic to being outside and no one would believe it!)

Does anyone else do this? Post your photo cards here :-)

Happy Holidays!
Toni Marie
14er Checklist (13)
13er Checklist (1)

Re: 'Tis the Season!

Postby Toni Marie » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:32 am

That's awesome! What site did you use to create that?
Toni Marie
"I've seen it rainin' fire in the sky. The shadow from the starlight is softer than a lullaby. Rocky Mountain High, Colorado."
Mooney Pilot
14er Checklist (18)

Postby Mooney Pilot » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:34 am

Last year I created a 2010 calendar with selected photos from my various trip reports and gave the calendars to friends and family as Christmas presents. I used vistaprint.com and was very pleased. It was very easy to upload my photos and order the calendars online.
JimR
14er Checklist (56)
13er Checklist (67)

Postby JimR » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:56 am

I also did the calendar thing, & it was a big hit (I think). I used Snapfish, which is a bit expensive, but very good quality. They also let you mark special dates (birthdays, anniversaries, ...) and even let you put a picture on the date. The problem is that now I'll probably have to do it every year.
I have more age than experience, more experience than knowledge, and more knowledge than wisdom.
Yet somehow I usually make it back to the car safely; and oftentimes, so do the people that I'm with.
susanjoypaul
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (87)

Postby susanjoypaul » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:01 am

Toni Marie wrote:That's awesome! What site did you use to create that?

Thanks Toni Marie! I used KodakGallery.

I order a *lot* of cards, so I try to go with the cheapest design. This particular card is a postcard - it doesn't open - but I just write my personal message on the back, and they do come with envelopes for mailing. They were advertised at 89 cents each, in sets of 10, but I think they were having some kind of sale last night because the final total was much less than that.

If I get some time tonight I'll try to scan and upload a few other designs I've used in the past...
Presto
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (6)
13er Checklist (308)

Postby Presto » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:57 am

Nice ... my sister uses that Kodak program from Antarctica and has sent us photo refrigerator magnets, photo collages laminated on wood, photo collage posters, etc. It's pretty cool. :D
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
susanjoypaul
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (87)

Postby susanjoypaul » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:21 am

Presto wrote:Nice ... my sister uses that Kodak program from Antarctica and has sent us photo refrigerator magnets...

Refrigerator magnets in Antarctica? Why that's absurd! What's next... space heaters in Hawaii? Zambonis on the moon?

The KodakGallery sale apparently continues through today, December 5th. You need to plug in the coupon code SHIP50 at checkout to get the discount.

Alternatively, you can order:

REI Christmas Cards

REI Gift Cards

REI Christmas Ornaments

I don't know if Bill gets a piece of these types of purchases from REI (or if that only applies to gear purchases), but just in case, be sure to use his links to access these pages when ordering.
sunny1
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (4)
13er Checklist (122)

Postby sunny1 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:27 am

This is inspiring, guys.
I'm gonna work on getting more action shots this year!
Need a new camera first (different topic!)
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
susanjoypaul
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (87)

Postby susanjoypaul » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:06 am

sunny1 wrote:This is inspiring, guys.
I'm gonna work on getting more action shots this year!
Need a new camera first (different topic!)

Or just hike with really good photographers who have better cameras than you do! Shameless, I know :-D

DHatfield took five of the six photos on my card this year... the four with me in them, and the shot of Mount Russell from the top of the notch on the Mountaineer's route on Mount Whitney. The *only* one I took was the landscape photo of the Great Sand Dunes.

Christmas 2009 card: Tres Orejas, N.M. photo courtesy of ClimbStewart:

This was a folding card, so the holiday message was on the inside:

Christmas 2008 card: Pico de Orizaba and Gannett Peak photos by DHatfield:

Christmas 2007 card: I don't even remember who took these Mount Rainier photos!

I may not be a good photographer, but I'm quite skilled at standing in front of striking backdrops and yelling to my hiking buddies, "Take a picture of me! Take a picture of me!"
USAKeller
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (24)
14ers in Winter (21)
13er Checklist (109)

Postby USAKeller » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:30 am

I like your Christmas cards Susan - very cool!

susanjoypaul wrote:So, this year, forget about dressing your family in matching sweaters and posing them in front of the fireplace. Show the relatives what it's *really* like to live here in Colorado! Does anyone else do this? Post your photo cards here :-)

Funny you say that - here's ours this year: Moore Family Xmas Card. Pretty boring I know; we had a really cool one last year with photos of our Orizaba trip, my brothers playing baseball, etc. This year's photo was taken last Christmas because that's the only time we're all together. And this year, we'll hopefully take some new cooler photos for next year!
susanjoypaul
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (87)

Postby susanjoypaul » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:36 am

USAKeller wrote:Funny you say that - here's ours this year: Moore Family Xmas Card.

When your family's that good looking you can dress them in potato sacks and pose them in front of a dumpster.

I need a little help. Thank goodness for mountains :-D
shaunster_co
14er Checklist (41)
14ers Skied (3)
14ers in Winter (3)
13er Checklist (52)

Postby shaunster_co » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:58 pm

Those photos are amazing photos! Great cards. I love the calendar idea too.

I figured a summit pic card would be too predictable this year, and snowboarding... Well, I don't want to rub it in too bad to those in much more humid and flat places. I figured everyone would appreciate bugs. I am having them done at Target (Kodak Gallery) - hope that isn't lame.

So, this year...
2010.jpg
2010.jpg (35.08 KiB) Viewed 1529 times

Taken on Green Mountain in April during the "migration".

This was last year's card, none other than Moab.
2009.jpg
2009.jpg (16.91 KiB) Viewed 1534 times

Return to “General Mountaineering Discussion”