What are you reading?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

"Hiking Thru" Paul Stutzman.

An account of one hikers experience of thru-hiking the Appalacian trail in 2008. As I will likely never to get hike the trail it gives a good feel of what it would be like to do so.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

I just finished "Grandma Gatewood's Walk" by Ben Montgomery. She was an amazing woman. To summarize:

1955, at age 67, she became the 1st woman to thru hike the AT.

1957, at age 69, she did it again.

1959, at age 71, she walked from Independence, Missouri to Portland, Oregon following the historic Oregon Trail.

So, if you or someone you know, thinks that you are too old to do something, then you should read this book, and reset your expectations! (I just saw the forum post about the 77 year old man who climbed Annapurna; that fits right in with the message of this book.)
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
markhingston
14ers: 51 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by markhingston »

Continental Divide: A History of American Mountaineering, by Maurice Isserman. An excellent survey of American mountaineering by the co-author (with Stewart Weaver) of Fallen Giants: A History of Himalayan Mountaineering from the Age of Empire to the Age of Extremes. Well-written and thorough, IMHO. If you have followed mountain sports for a while, some of the stories in the book may be familiar. If not, or if you have forgotten why Fred Beckey is famous, this book is a great place to get an introduction.
druid2112
14ers: 46  6 
13ers: 32 5
Trip Reports (7)

Post by druid2112 »

Just finished River of No Reprieve by Jeffrey Tayler. He travels the length of the Lena river in Sibera from near Baikal to the Arctic in a small boat with one other guy. Nice blend of current political/social study, anthropological survey, travel journal,Siberian history, and naturalist observation. The guy has some stones, no doubt.
"You can't really dust for vomit." - Nigel Tufnel
Buckeye
14ers: 50 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Buckeye »

Anything written or co-written by Clive Cussler.
HULKHIKEGOOD
14ers: 19 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (2)

Post by HULKHIKEGOOD »

The 4790(NAMP), any Navy guys out there will know what I mean, it's a beast. Hopefully be back to my normal reads in July when I'm in the ice lake basin area again.
brett.t.burch
14ers: 29 
13ers: 1 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by brett.t.burch »

I just finished Stranger in the Forest. I thought I had read some wild adventure stories already, but there is probably nothing that comes close to this. Trailblazing and ahead of its time is definitely one way to put it.

I just started Honnold's Alone on the Wall... so far so good.
Voshkm
14ers: 19  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Voshkm »

I recently discovered (for me) a Polish novelist Henryk Sienkiewicz. Knights of the Cross, The Deluge, With Fire and Sword. Apparently he was James Michener before Michener. Also speaking of him I enjoyed very much Micheners Centenial about Colorado, Freedom of the Hills
I love the thread and wish I knew of it earlier. I will be reading many of the listed and will stop googling mountaineering books for titles.
Last edited by Voshkm on Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Double Oh Seven
14ers: 19 
13ers: 23 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Double Oh Seven »

I just finished "One Man's West" by David Lavender. Half of the book talks about him working at Camp Bird mine and life in Ouray in the 30's. The other half is about life as a cowboy in Paradox Valley. There are a few pages of mountaneering mixed in. Lavender col on sneffels is named after his brother Dwight. As is Lavendar peak outside of Durango. I love that area of Colorado. Its a really interesting amd fun read. You will gain a new appreciation for the road into Yankee Boy Basin
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

Not a mountaineering book, but I'm currently reading "In the Garden of Beasts" by Erik Larson. I've read some of his other works ("Devil in the White City", "Dead Wake", and "Isaac's Storm"), and he's a great narrator of history. "In the Garden of Beasts" is about the earliest stages of Hitler's regime as seen from the prospective of the US Ambassador to Germany in 1933.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
AlexMack
14ers: 30  2 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexMack »

Big Stephen King fan here, I recently blew through 11/22/63 and I highly recommend it. A little bit of a detour from his normal style, which for some I think would be a big plus. Love his stuff, but a big King book is about the opposite of a book you'd normally want to backpack with, the guy has some huge books!! I like taking a Robert B Parker Spencer novel if I want something to read on an overnight.
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." - Evan Hardin
kingshimmers
14ers: 15 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kingshimmers »

I recently read "The Big Burn: Teddy Roosevelt and the Fire that Saved America" by Timothy Egan. It's a super readable book about the history of the Forest Service and creation of our National Forests. I'd highly recommend it to outdoorsy people :wink:
"Be the beta you wish to find."